Author Topic: [Cancelled] Rosewood wrist rests  (Read 18944 times)

Offline jaffers

Re: [IC] Rosewood wrist rests MAJOR UPDATE TO OP.
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 09:19:43 »
I think that the sample picture in the opening post is absolutely beautiful and would love to get some. I do have a few questions though.

The picture shows an end grain cut and really shows the wood in all of its glory. Is that how you intend to orient them? Do you know of any issues with shrinkage cracks in rosewood? Is rosewood reliably strong (translate-split resistant) cut that way given the length to thickness ratio?

Do you know if there will be any concerns about customs? That is, will there be additional import taxes or difficulty shipping a wood that is on certain endangered species lists?

I don't know if these are concerns at all but thought it best to be proactive and ask rather than be disappointed later.

That picture is not mine, its just an example of the rounding I was talking about.

Unless you live in the EU (where there might be VAT) than there shouldn't be any import taxes. Rosewood itself is EXTREMELY strong and we primarily use it as fence posts for the cattle station that I come from, termites don't touch it.

As far as cracking and shrinkage goes it is also an oily wood as apposed to watery, meaning there is little shrinkage to begin with. Its a hard wood, density of 0.7 g/cm^3 compared with pine which has a density of 0.56 g/cm^3

Its not at all endangered at all. It grows everywhere in Queensland.

Offline linkshine

• * Destiny Supporter
  • If you wanna b my lover, u gotta get w/ my friends
« Reply #51 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 11:12:56 »
I can help with US orders. I'm in Arkansas as opposed to many of these "coasters" :P
Just lemme know what I can do. Definitely interested in helping and using one myself!

Offline jaffers

« Reply #52 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 15:12:44 »
I can help with US orders. I'm in Arkansas as opposed to many of these "coasters" :P
Just lemme know what I can do. Definitely interested in helping and using one myself!

Hi Linkshine! Thanks for offering but I already have 2 people on opposite coasts distributing. Appreciate that you want to help out though!

Offline linkshine

• * Destiny Supporter
  • If you wanna b my lover, u gotta get w/ my friends
« Reply #53 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 15:20:10 »
no worries brah, will just wait for the buy then!

Offline jaffers

« Reply #54 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 03:22:36 »
The draft is up! I will stress again that this is not the actual order form and I just want feedback to clear up any confusion surrounding the possible options.

I am looking at getting prototypes done in the next two week and then the group buy will start!

http://goo.gl/forms/4sva4RfZE3

Offline jaffers

« Reply #55 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 03:31:04 »
no worries brah, will just wait for the buy then!
Show Image

Thanks again for offering a hand dude

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #56 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 08:22:08 »

The draft is up! I will stress again that this is not the actual order form and I just want feedback to clear up any confusion surrounding the possible options.

I am looking at getting prototypes done in the next two week and then the group buy will start!

Nice. If you want it simpler you can lump all 60% boards together IMHO. Ditto for 87's.

I might have missed it; do you have a picture of flame finish vs plain?
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline jaffers

« Reply #57 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 00:10:05 »

Nice. If you want it simpler you can lump all 60% boards together IMHO. Ditto for 87's.

I might have missed it; do you have a picture of flame finish vs plain?

No pictures for any thing yet, will be working on getting some prototypes done soon

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #58 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 05:26:11 »
Really exited, I'm leaning towards a tung oil finish.

Can't wait to see those prototypes.  ^-^

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #59 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 05:27:18 »
ive been looking for a new wrist rest!

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #60 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 09:32:00 »
Can there be an option for tung oil and then a shellac finish coating? That's if you have the real deal tung oil, if it's just a tung oil finish then I'll probably just go with that.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline jaffers

« Reply #61 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 07:30:52 »
Can there be an option for tung oil and then a shellac finish coating? That's if you have the real deal tung oil, if it's just a tung oil finish then I'll probably just go with that.

I'll see, I'm not sure how well the shellac will stick to the tung oil, but in any case you are probably just better going with a straight up shellac finish if that is the sort of thing you are looking for

Offline jaffers

« Reply #62 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 22:41:38 »
I got some stuff today...  ;D

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #63 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 11:17:05 »

I'll see, I'm not sure how well the shellac will stick to the tung oil, but in any case you are probably just better going with a straight up shellac finish if that is the sort of thing you are looking for

Ok, I've seen some people use both if it is true tung oil and not just tung oil finish. The shellac coating is then just meant to make a more smooth, water resistant finish.

Offline Sockets

« Reply #64 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 22:31:21 »
I can't wait to see the different finishes on the prototypes! Count me interested for a couple.  ;D

Offline just66in

« Reply #65 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 02:40:18 »
Looking forward on the prototypes. Been holding out all other wrist rest buys for this one ( and also mainly due to pricing  :)) )

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #66 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 15:36:46 »
Hello sir I hope the production of the prototypes are going well.  No need to respond I just wanted to drop a little encouragement (background:  I've been working on prototypes for one of my projects for a good year and a half now; I'm so thankful for the folks in my thread that drop a bit of encouragement now and then).
I'm back.

Offline jaffers

« Reply #67 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 23:56:04 »
Hello sir I hope the production of the prototypes are going well.  No need to respond I just wanted to drop a little encouragement (background:  I've been working on prototypes for one of my projects for a good year and a half now; I'm so thankful for the folks in my thread that drop a bit of encouragement now and then).

Looking forward on the prototypes. Been holding out all other wrist rest buys for this one ( and also mainly due to pricing  :)) )

I can't wait to see the different finishes on the prototypes! Count me interested for a couple.  ;D

Hi hi, yes I am here, and yes I am working on the prototypes!  ;) Thanks for the interest

I've been very busy with work and haven't really gotten a break but things are progressing. Things come up that you just can't accommodate for, such as planer blades breaking etc... Especially being as far out of town as we are (50 mins, so 100 mins round trip just in travel), simply dropping by the store to pick up a new set isn't quick task.

I've also had a few issues with the heat (i.e. I didn't expect it to be anywhere near this hot) and so I have to work fast to get the ends of the wood sealed after I cut it down otherwise it will crack.

But when I reach a process that I believe is of high enough quality and efficient enough to deal with the orders the group buy will start (hopefully before the end of the week). Also to accommodate for the orders I am pre producing some wrist rests (unfinished of course) for sizes that will be in demand (i.e. 60%, TKL).

Here is a sneak peak (I guess?) Internet not fast enough to upload the raw, and I didn't use this cause it cracked (the heat man I tell you). Should give people an idea of what the grain will look like though

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #68 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 01:00:33 »
I didn't think I would end up buying one of these, but if they're still on I could totally use one with my jane CE
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline ccarlitos2

« Reply #69 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 02:04:52 »
Can't wait to see how these turn out! I will probably get one for the compact 1800 GB
HHKB Pro 1| Poker 2(MX Browns)| Leopold FC200R (MX Blue)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Yup, that tasted purple" -Lulu

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/138889771@N05/

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #70 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 15:14:16 »
I'm getting more and more excited, I've been wanting some wrist rests but have been dragging my feet on getting on. I'll probably just end up putting in a bulk order for all my boards, if I can afford it. :p

Offline SploogeFactory

• Vitamin D deficient
« Reply #71 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 04:04:43 »

Hi hi, yes I am here, and yes I am working on the prototypes!  ;) Thanks for the interest

I've been very busy with work and haven't really gotten a break but things are progressing. Things come up that you just can't accommodate for, such as planer blades breaking etc... Especially being as far out of town as we are (50 mins, so 100 mins round trip just in travel), simply dropping by the store to pick up a new set isn't quick task.

I've also had a few issues with the heat (i.e. I didn't expect it to be anywhere near this hot) and so I have to work fast to get the ends of the wood sealed after I cut it down otherwise it will crack.

But when I reach a process that I believe is of high enough quality and efficient enough to deal with the orders the group buy will start (hopefully before the end of the week). Also to accommodate for the orders I am pre producing some wrist rests (unfinished of course) for sizes that will be in demand (i.e. 60%, TKL).

Here is a sneak peak (I guess?) Internet not fast enough to upload the raw, and I didn't use this cause it cracked (the heat man I tell you). Should give people an idea of what the grain will look like though

Show Image

Nice, wood looks rich as hell!
Methylated Spirits, not even once.

Offline jaffers

Re: [IC] Rosewood wrist rests - Group buy starts in January
« Reply #72 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 01:27:35 »
Bump for the update

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #73 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 21:52:07 »
In fine with waiting, and I understand the reasoning. But we need MOAR pretty wood pics to tide us over :-)
I'm back.

Offline ileben

« Reply #74 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 03:22:56 »
Hey, I love this project, so cool to know it's coming from right under your hands, with you cutting the tree and everything :cool: I will definitely be getting one (or more) of these, once available. Also, I'm aussie too, so I'm happy I will be able to get away with cheap shipping for once  ;D
RF 87 55g (silenced) | FC660C (silenced) | Unicomp Ultra Classic | Filco MJ2 Brown | Matias Mini Quiet Pro

Offline jaffers

« Reply #75 on: Sun, 13 December 2015, 18:41:46 »
In fine with waiting, and I understand the reasoning. But we need MOAR pretty wood pics to tide us over :-)

Running off 56 kb/s internet right now so I will upload when it gets a bit faster :/

Hey, I love this project, so cool to know it's coming from right under your hands, with you cutting the tree and everything :cool: I will definitely be getting one (or more) of these, once available. Also, I'm aussie too, so I'm happy I will be able to get away with cheap shipping for once  ;D

YAY aussie orders are going to be so easy, no customs, cheap shipping, the lot. Thanks for your interest man

Offline SploogeFactory

• Vitamin D deficient
« Reply #76 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 00:35:29 »
Here are some reference photos for stock POK3R case height and length also with a royal glam wrist rest for the width of the rest, imo the wrist rests might need to be about 1.5cm longer than this one.

This is 29.3-29.4cm wide on the stock POK3R case

Didn't realise this one wasn't flat, oh well we can safely say it would add another 1mm, so 13mm lip height

This Royal Glam wrist rest is 8cm across the palm area, I think it needs another 1.5cm added to it for a comfortable 60% wrist rest. so 9.5cm would be good.

Hopefully some of this helps for you Jaffers and for others with stock POK3R cases. I'll be getting a custom Inanis case eventually so I will have to work with probably slightly wider dimension and probably a little taller lip height as well.

Offline jaffers

« Reply #77 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 01:28:57 »
Here are some reference photos for stock POK3R case height and length also with a royal glam wrist rest for the width of the rest, imo the wrist rests might need to be about 1.5cm longer than this one.

Show Image

Show Image
Didn't realise this one wasn't flat, oh well we can safely say it would add another 1mm, so 13mm lip height

Show Image
This Royal Glam wrist rest is 8cm across the palm area, I think it needs another 1.5cm added to it for a comfortable 60% wrist rest. so 9.5cm would be good.

Hopefully some of this helps for you Jaffers and for others with stock POK3R cases. I'll be getting a custom Inanis case eventually so I will have to work with probably slightly wider dimension and probably a little taller lip height as well.

Cheers dude! This helps a lot, especially feed back on a comfortable depth. I will be using your dimensions to help out.

Nice escape key too. Goes great with those caps. TBH its the best use of rainbow caps I've seen to date, even matching cable

Offline SploogeFactory

• Vitamin D deficient
« Reply #78 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 01:32:08 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Cheers dude! This helps a lot, especially feed back on a comfortable depth. I will be using your dimensions to help out.

Nice escape key too. Goes great with those caps. TBH its the best use of rainbow caps I've seen to date, even matching cable

No worries dude, and cheers!

I'll be using probably slightly different dimensions if I get a case by Inanis done, she's got a GB on Massdrop at the moment though so don't know how long that will take.

Offline E3E

« Reply #79 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 07:01:11 »
Would you also like some measurements for some of the higher profile cases?

21.82mm for the Hammer case

23.34mm for the Octagon

23.04mm for the Lightpad

Of course, I think an approximation would be best. Something around 21-22mm high at the highest point would probably work for all of these and most high profile aluminum cases on Korean customs.

I think the tapered slope is less important, by that, I mean the height of the lowest end of a sloped wrist rest. That's not as important, imo.

Royal Glam's standard measurements seem about perfect for my boards, but like Splooge highlights, they might not be good for lower profile boards like the Poker series. Especially not GONs. Those are very low profile, haha.
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 December 2015, 07:04:31 by E3E »

Offline cseng

« Reply #80 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 10:32:46 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Looks great.  :thumb:

Offline SploogeFactory

• Vitamin D deficient
« Reply #81 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 17:57:07 »
Would you also like some measurements for some of the higher profile cases?

21.82mm for the Hammer case

23.34mm for the Octagon

23.04mm for the Lightpad

Of course, I think an approximation would be best. Something around 21-22mm high at the highest point would probably work for all of these and most high profile aluminum cases on Korean customs.

I think the tapered slope is less important, by that, I mean the height of the lowest end of a sloped wrist rest. That's not as important, imo.

Royal Glam's standard measurements seem about perfect for my boards, but like Splooge highlights, they might not be good for lower profile boards like the Poker series. Especially not GONs. Those are very low profile, haha.

You're right about the case heights, I'd imagine a lot of people here have a wide array of cases, I might end up just going with the stock POK3R measurements, I'd rather have the wrist rest lip lower than the case lip than above it. The complication begins.

Offline Jumie

« Reply #82 on: Fri, 25 December 2015, 21:49:12 »
will definitely get some for 60%

Offline SploogeFactory

• Vitamin D deficient
« Reply #83 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 08:17:17 »
lol wtf, I just saw your signature line? Ha I never typed that?

Offline jaffers

« Reply #84 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 08:48:01 »

Yes you did, you said you drank metho but didn't swallow  ;D

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #85 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 13:36:12 »

Haha I was there to witness it, drunken Splooge did in fact say it. :p

Offline SploogeFactory

• Vitamin D deficient
Re: [IC] Rosewood wrist rests
« Reply #86 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 18:37:12 »

Haha I was there to witness it, drunken Splooge did in fact say it.
Oh lol, now I see. Yeah that was pretty dangerous.

Offline ileben

« Reply #87 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 18:17:26 »
Oh no, I'm sorry to hear about the chainsaw breaking, mate, that sucks :( Can we help you in any way? I have no idea what the prices for a decent chainsaw is :P there's something poetic about having a wristrest handmade by someone who had direct contact with the actual tree, I'd love to see this project happen.
RF 87 55g (silenced) | FC660C (silenced) | Unicomp Ultra Classic | Filco MJ2 Brown | Matias Mini Quiet Pro

Offline mc707

« Reply #88 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 12:25:36 »
What happened to this? I signed up to this forum because I'm looking for a wrist rest for my Planck, but it seems this group buy died out because of a damaged chainsaw or something?

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #89 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 13:26:26 »
What happened to this? I signed up to this forum because I'm looking for a wrist rest for my Planck, but it seems this group buy died out because of a damaged chainsaw or something?

Well there was never a group buy, just an interest check. OP has delayed it until further notice because of the chainsaw dying and busy schedule. He'll start it back up whenever he is ready.

Offline Ephemeral

« Reply #90 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 14:13:40 »
Best of luck to jaffers with his chainsaw troubles.
I hope this gets revived, that rosewood is gorgeous.
Collection:
More
E6.5 (Lubed 50g MX Blacks) | Preonic (55g MX Clears) | CA66 (Zealios V2 65g) | budget96 (MX Red) | Infinity 60% (Zealios 78g) | Phantom TKL (Gateron Black) | MiniVan (Zealios 78g) | Helix (?)
[Incoming: Polaris (?) |  KBDFans 8X Mk II (v2 Tealios)]

Offline jaffers

Re: [Cancelled] Rosewood wrist rests
« Reply #91 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 10:17:22 »
Thanks for all the luck but I won't be needing it anymore, I updated the OP. Should be more than enough info on why it's cancelled