Author Topic: [Cancelled] Rosewood wrist rests  (Read 18943 times)

Offline jaffers

[Cancelled] Rosewood wrist rests
« on: Wed, 09 September 2015, 12:30:11 »
1 chainsaw, 3 planner blades and 1 circular saw disc died in the struggle, the hardwood was indeed too hard. RIP

More
What is currently going on

This is not happening until further notice. The chainsaw has died and I'm not sure if it will ever breathe life again. Not something that I want to happen considering I have already spent $300 on materials and loads of research and organisation time into making this. But it is what it is. Don't save your money is all I'm saying

I have made the decision to postpone the group buy until January.

Primary reason: Working 6 days on 1 off to get things done before christmas, and been making the most of daylight i.e. 5 am wakeups, 7pm work finishes.

What does this mean:
- Can avoid the christmas time postage insanity (higher chance that things get lost in the mail)
- I can put together a well documented and well photographed BOS of the wrist rests being made and their journey from tree to desk
- I get more time, so due to being only one man I was going to limit the group buy to 50 wrist rests, this may change, the maximum will most likely be raised to 100

This will be taking place. There is no doubt about that, I've already spent well over $300 for this group buy. I am out here in the wilderness for three months, and we are coming up on the first month. I also have other projects that I need to get out of the way so its in my best interests to ship these out.

I think that's it, thanks for understanding.

I have made minor edits to the points below, mainly just cutting out what was not relevant anymore

I have unlimited supply to rosewood. I also have wood working tools. I'm going back to this unlimited supply of rosewood and wood working tools in around December/late November. So I was thinking, "hey, why not just cut a heap up for people." I'll make a few closer to the date for people to check out if people actually want any.

Expanding upon this...

OPTIONS

Anything to do with price is in AUD

Finishes
  • Flame finished ~ I have seen this done on lighter woods although I cannot find a picture that I find sufficient enough to reflect the result on rosewood. I too am curious about how this will turn out. + $2

Below are the possible coatings that can be applied.
  • Raw ~ It's too damn hot here and the wood cracks too much.
  • Carnauba Wax ~ I'm using this wax because it has more of a durable finish. + $2
  • Instead using a Tung Nut Based Oil ~ Again this is for more of a durable finish, its described as a kitchen timber oil, so it should be able to get a little more wear out of it. Matt finish + $2
  • French polish ~ Basically shellac w/ a bit of varnish. This should allow for more of a durable finish + $2
  • Waxed with Beeswax (Australian beeswax, not that its any more premium. Beeswax is beeswax) + $2
  • Oiled using Tung oil + $2
  • Shellac coating (I will make a fresh mix of shellac and denatured alcohol) + $2
  • Varnish (this has been crossed out as it tends to conjure a lot more than shellac, especially this time of year in Australia. It is approaching the wet season and I do not want to have a bunch of wrist rests turn out bad for people because the humidity kicked up and ruined the finish. I'm sorry about this. But the shellac should have a very similar finish)

Sizes

Each wrist rest will be made entirely by hand. I am literally cutting down the tree, or grabbing some older more dry timber (depending on whether or not it has been all used), cutting it to size, planing it, and sanding it buy hand.

Because of this there is no limitation to size. You can have it however you want. Examples of what I mean are listed below
  • Height
  • Depth (8cm seems appropriate)
  • Length
  • Radius of the edge
  • Radius of the bottom edges ~ have a look at the image below for what I mean
  • Angled or not

This is not my photo, its just a representation of rounded bottom edges

Default Sizes are as follows, these are based off Royal Glam's wristrests:

Thickness: 1.9 cm
60% Wrist Rest: 29 x 8 cm ~ 308 grams
80% Wrist Rest: 35.5 x 8 cm ~ 377 grams
100% Wrist Rest: 44 x 8 cm ~ 468 grams

I can also make middle pieces for plank/atomic or whatever else you want. All I ask is for you to provide specifications.

I also realise that there will be many people will have the same keyboard (i.e. 60%'s: KBParadise V60, Poker 2/3 (is there a diffidence in dimensions? I do not own one of these), HHKB)

So to make people's lives easier, I will gather the dimensions of the more popular choices and have them available to simply select. I do not own every keyboard in the world so please can people post some dimensions for me so I can put them in form. When taking these measurement make sure to measure from the front of your keyboard. The manufacturer's details are of no use to me, they take them from the longest and highest point of the case, I can guarantee if put 3cm for thickness you will end up with very expensive shipping and a obscurely thick wrist rest More than one persons input would be nice. As they say cut once measure twice.

Pricing ~ What everyone is most concerned about

$20 AUD ~ The base itself is consistent no matter what size you choose. The only additional expense is the finish you choose.

Shipping

The average density of rosewood is 0.7 g/cm3. To get a rough estimate of how heavy your order is going to be simply find the volume using height (cm) x depth (cm) x width (cm) and multiply by .7 to get the weight in grams. Add 60-70 grams for packaging.

The order will be insured, a cost which I will cover.

For the status of shipping for US users please see the end of this post. I bit here soon with estimated prices   ^-^

For members outside of the United States you can calculate shipping here:
http://auspost.com.au/apps/postage-calculator.html

Packaging

We all understand how rough the postal company is with packages, I will be experimenting to find the lightest packaging while keeping the content safe. Testing will be thorough.

Speaking of testing

Another thing I will be doing it testing the durability of each finish so again, people know what they are going to buy. Aesthetics are one thing but a resilient product is also going to be taken into consideration.

Sweat is going to be the biggest concern in the long run so I will be submitting the prototype wrist rests to a solution that I will concoct as close to sweat as I can. On top of that I will also be submitting the wrist rests to abrasion before and after the sweat test to try and see what long term use will do to it.

Freighting also carries effects such as extreme hot and cold environments so they will be submitted to those as well.

Timber is like leather. Upkeep can greatly increase the longevity of your product. This goes especially for wax users as it is a much more fragile finish. Its a very nice finish but it is fragile. It is recommended that wax is up kept once every 6 months. There is only so much I can do to create a good product.

Finally it will be covered by Jaffers Seal of Quality™ guarantee, if it splinters over a 3 year period I will make and ship you a new one (in the June - July/Chistmas period when the tools are available to build these) and send it to you free of charge.

The Process of Building

I will have a full thread in the 'Making Things together' section detailing the entire process from start to finish. It will include many macro shots of the surface finishes so that people can get a look at what they can expect.

Rough outline of the process:
  • Cut the timber to approximate shape
  • Oven bake to cook out excess moisture
  • Final shaping
  • Surface finishing ~ sanding from low grit all the way to as high of a grit as I can get my hands on
  • Application of the finish
  • Buffing/polishing

This will go into much more detail in the build thread

Questions I expect to get

Q: How will payment work?
Paypal ONLY. You will have to submit your paypal email address and you will receive the invoice within 1 working day. ALL INVOICES MUST BE PAID WITHIN 3 WORKING DAYS OR THE ORDER WILL BE DISCARDED.

Q: Can I make a full case for a keyboard?
No. Unfortunately I do not have access to a CNC machine to mill out all the grooves required for a case. I am making middle pieces for planck etc as I do have a jigsaw and a drill. However if you wish to get a piece of rosewood to take to a local machinist to have this done for you I will happily send you a piece.

Q: Why not use the manufacturer's specifications of each keyboard to find dimensions?
Unfortunately keyboard manufacturer's do not give as thorough dimensions as they require us to do in engineering at university. For this reason I'd prefer you to give me the dimensions of the wrist rest you require so that it is flush fitting to your keyboard.

Q: How long will the group buy be open?
Three weeks. It will start when I finish the prototypes and get the photos up for you guys to have a look at.

Q: Do you work with wood as a trade?
No. There are many people on this forum that make they're money doing what I'm doing and the price you pay for they're product is justified as THEY MAKE A LIVING DOING IT. The time I am going to put into each one of these would not pass law for the hourly wage. That being said I have worked A LOT with wood over the years, and with the tools I'm using. I am proficient and have been paid to do what I am doing as side jobs in the past. Don't loose sleep over it.

Q: Why is it so cheap?
I am a uni student and I understand that a lot of us also are in tight financial situations. So I want to give EVERYONE an affordable product that with the quality that I would expect from a more premium item. Hey, I want to give back to you guys  ;D

Q: Can there be a bulk order to the EU as there is one for the US?
As it stands right now from this interest check alone there are about 70% of the orders for shipment to the US, there is not enough demand to warrant a EU bulk order. Sorry guys. I will try keep that shipping as light as I can.

Q: Shipping for US geekhackers
As the majority of shipping will be for the US an express bulk order will be sent. This will significantly decrease the cost that you will endure. Australia post is HARSH. They will be shipped in bulk and then redistributed to their respective owners. Each item will be prepackaged with shipping labels applied which I will purchase before hand as to minimize handling time. The cost of the bulk order will be divided to each person dependent upon the weight of the total order. I will take responsibility of the weight of the box they are put in and the packaging material to protect the orders. Its only fair that you pay for what you ordered.

Q: When will we receive the wrist rests?
For all orders outside of the US I will begin work on your wrist rest the moment the invoice has been paid. For US orders work will begin at the end of the group buy period. At this time I will send out the US invoices so that shipping costs can be calculated correctly.

What does the timber actually look like?

Below is as close of a picture I can get to the rosewood I will be working with. More details on it can be found here: https://www.daf.qld.gov.au/forestry/using-wood-and-its-benefits/wood-properties-of-timber-trees/rose-mahogany

[img width=640 height=424]http://i.imgur.com/iRTtb4K.jpg/img]
Yep thats a photo of the actual wood this time

What I want from YOU!

• Feedback on any of the points I've made or if I've missed anything
  • Keyboard dimensions and your opinion on what are the more popular keyboads so I can make them a simple one click option

Draft Form

The draft is up! I will stress again that this is not the actual order form and I just want feedback to clear up any confusion surrounding the possible options.

I am looking at getting prototypes done in the next two week and then the group buy will start!

http://goo.gl/forms/4sva4RfZE3

Final Summary

Welp. That was a lot.  :p sorry for wall of text

First and foremost I don't want to be seen as "the guy who made those really ****ty wrist rests for cheap that one time". When I am dealing with YOUR money there isn't going to be any silly business, I've seen enough of the nightmare group buys and want ALL bases covered. I'm going to put in the work and make something that I would use as well and not just make some 'grab and run sheckles'.

Also I am going to be absolutely flat out with my other projects and with work so most of this will be done in my own personal time. This being said I am absolutely STOKED to be doing this, its going to be a lot of fun, I love making stuff. And I'm going to be making a lot more different stuff in the future as well!

I think I have just about hit everything I wanted to say in this thread, keep your eyes peeled for any updates.

Cheers, jaffers out  ^:)
« Last Edit: Mon, 29 February 2016, 10:15:59 by jaffers »

Offline E3E

Re: [IC] Rosewood wrist rests
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 09 September 2015, 13:10:58 »
Looks fantastic. I'd probably be up for one in 60%! It's probably impractical, but if you can also do one for a standalone number pad too, I'd dig that! Just to look nice on my desk if nothing else.

Definitely interested. This kind of wood looks really nice!

And yeah, I had to do a hell of a lot of work to get my Royal Glam triwood to look presentable and properly seal it from the elements.

Offline VentureG

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 09 September 2015, 13:24:08 »
Absolutely love rosewood. An infinite supply you say? Count me interested

Offline jaffers

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 09 September 2015, 13:28:12 »
Looks fantastic. I'd probably be up for one in 60%! It's probably impractical, but if you can also do one for a standalone number pad too, I'd dig that! Just to look nice on my desk if nothing else.

Definitely interested. This kind of wood looks really nice!

And yeah, I had to do a hell of a lot of work to get my Royal Glam triwood to look presentable and properly seal it from the elements.

I can do a number pad, at the end of the day, all I am doing it cutting up the wood, I don't have any oil/varnishes at the moment, but I can get them for people, or, if there is something very particular people want (i.e. dying the wood) they can get it raw! :)

Absolutely love rosewood. An infinite supply you say? Count me interested
Yep, unlimited for our purposes. I just go out, cut down the tree with a chainsaw, bring it back and cut it up. The biggest expense will be shipping, hopefully, if there are enough orders, I can get someone to distribute them for me (i.e. the individual shipping costs from Australia would be quite high but if I can send the orders in bulk that would go a long way to cutting costs)
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 September 2015, 13:31:56 by jfing14 »

Offline Data

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 09 September 2015, 15:03:42 »
Yeah, potentially interested in 2 at that price.

Offline lunr

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 09 September 2015, 15:38:50 »
Interested as well!

Offline SwissFTW

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 09 September 2015, 16:11:18 »
I'd definitely be interested in a 60% for sure.

WhiteFox  | HHKB Pro 2 | KBT Pure MX Browns | CM Storm MX Browns | Ducky YOTD MX Browns | Ducky Shine II MX Browns
    TrueFox

Offline Jersern

• Australian Keyboard Modding and Repair Service
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 09 September 2015, 17:08:40 »
Pretty interested in one, especially if you can go around the edges and round them out.

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 09 September 2015, 17:38:17 »
I would like one with a nice grain for 75% ;)

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline TastaturenAuslese

• Formerly temence
  • life marrow suckerer
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 09 September 2015, 17:45:09 »
Wellll. I see that royal glam is charging ridiculous prices for a slab of wood (sorry Royal Glam, but the current drop is a single finished piece of wood and thats it) on massdrop. I have unlimited supply to rosewood. I also have wood working tools. I'm going back to this unlimited supply of rosewood and wood working tools in around December/late November. So I was thinking, "hey, why not just cut a heap up for people." I'll make a few closer to the date for people to check out if people actually want any.

Price
$20 Aud round. That's for 40%, 60%, 75%, 80% 100% or whatever you want. Add $2 Aud if you want it finished in a oil/varnish or you can have it raw.

Essentially $20 ($14.05 USD) ~ $22 ($15.45 USD) + shipping (I don't know what I'm going to do for shipping yet)

Cheers!

Show Image

I'm in for 2 60%s
Home: Kishsaver - IBM 6019284/F62 | Work: HHKB Professional 2 Silenced | Temporary Retirement:
More
IBM '89 1391401 Merrill Lynch Financial Edition

They are a functional and practical indulgence.

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 09 September 2015, 18:06:25 »
Interested for a 60% one.  :)

Oh and an oil finish please.
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 September 2015, 09:56:34 by Air tree »

Offline just66in

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 10 September 2015, 09:43:53 »
Great looking, priced nicely. Will be in for a 60% and tkl with oil/varnish finish.

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 10 September 2015, 09:52:25 »
For that price, count me in on a varnished TKL.

Offline raymogi

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 10 September 2015, 09:54:09 »
Interested in one 60% raw :)
Please feed my addiction.

Offline yomammary

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 10 September 2015, 12:32:19 »
At that price, count me in for a TKL with oil/varnish.
RF 87u 55g | Leeku 1800

Offline ika

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 10 September 2015, 13:12:32 »
Would love to know shipping quote to USA, might grab a couple of these.

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 10 September 2015, 13:56:08 »
Interested. Would definitely be interested in some sort of finish. Interested to see what you end up with for a shipping situation internationally, as that could heavily effect your price point.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline jaffers

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 10 September 2015, 15:34:23 »
Would love to know shipping quote to USA, might grab a couple of these.

Interested. Would definitely be interested in some sort of finish. Interested to see what you end up with for a shipping situation internationally, as that could heavily effect your price point.

I have update the post with rough estimates on shipping, I'm being positive and hoping they are under 500 grams but you can put in any weight you want and calculate it.

If there are enough orders I might be able to get someone to receive a bulk order and distribute them to everyone.

Pretty interested in one, especially if you can go around the edges and round them out.

I was planning on breaking all the edges if you are worried about that, i aint gonna leave them so you get splinters in your fingers ahah

Offline ika

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 10 September 2015, 16:24:37 »
Do you plan on doing angled rests (i.e. wedge-like) or just flat rests? I didn't realize the prices were in AUD, once converted they're actually really reasonable. If a group ship to the US could be managed then we could have a nice deal on our hands...

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 10 September 2015, 17:52:11 »
I would think I could buy two, hopefully I would have some funds by then.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline nobodyknowsmyname

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 11:53:47 »
I'm in for 60% oiled and shipped to the US.

Offline edsucks

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 12:10:31 »
Interested in a 60% oiled. Possibly a Smart68 sized one in the future too.
Really fair prices!

Offline KitWasHere

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 17:34:47 »
Won't these warp a lot if they're coming from a fresh cut tree? I thought you have to cure wood for like a few years before it's somewhat stable.
Rosewood is really nice though, I'd be in for a piece if it's dried out

Offline jaffers

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 01:47:57 »
Won't these warp a lot if they're coming from a fresh cut tree? I thought you have to cure wood for like a few years before it's somewhat stable.
Rosewood is really nice though, I'd be in for a piece if it's dried out

Generally speaking, if I was working with a softer wood I would let it dry out for a few years. Rosewood on the other hand is extremely dense and hard. Very dry to begin with, once you get a piece of a decent enough size to use for a wrist rest its already to the point where if it does warp, it will be very little. Take into account that wood warps because of moisture leaving the wood and causing it to shrink, it will only shrink by around .1 percent if that. It makes a bigger difference in long bits of soft wood but something a keyboard length? Won't matter. If you seal the wood with oil it takes longer for the moisture to leave and if you seal it with varnish it will pretty much retain it. On top of that, we use rosewood as fence posts and we have a few from around 5 years back laying about. So its already aged  :p

Offline mozimus

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 14 October 2015, 22:13:40 »
Definitely interested in a nice finished 60%

Offline SploogeFactory

• Vitamin D deficient
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 03:40:26 »
Interested for a 60% with Oil finish to fit a Pok3r!
Methylated Spirits, not even once.

Offline jaffers

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 16:42:10 »

Another possible option for a finish ^:)

Offline SploogeFactory

• Vitamin D deficient
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 22:45:25 »
Nice, so keen for this to go down.

Need that wrist rest flush on both sides like this though!

Offline captaineleven

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 23:28:47 »
For the kind of price even internationally, I would get a 60% and a TKL because these things look pretty dope. And that burned wood finish looks awesome.
So fancy!

Offline SploogeFactory

• Vitamin D deficient
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 23:35:49 »
Hmmmmm, yeah I may have to pick another one up for the FC660 that I will eventually get! Ha, we'll see.

Offline Cindori

• My Blog
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 06:53:12 »
So OP. When are you ready to accept orders?

Offline E3E

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 07:21:39 »
Nice, so keen for this to go down.

Need that wrist rest flush on both sides like this though!
Show Image

The OCD is stong with this one!

Haha, I definitely agree though.

Offline jaffers

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 14:14:27 »
So OP. When are you ready to accept orders?

Once I am off uni! So I have one week left of exams, then I will make some prototypes so people know what they are buying and the different finishes. 2 - 3 weeks tops and I will put up the google form.
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 November 2015, 15:11:22 by jfing14 »

Offline jaffers

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 14:17:51 »
At the very latest I want to have these shipped by early January/late December. The order form will be open for 3 weeks and in that time I will be making the wristrest. The moment the invoice is paid I start work on them. If you live in a country outside of the US I will send out your order when I finish it. :)

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 20:56:18 »
At the very latest I want to have these shipped by early January/late December. The order form will be open for 3 weeks and in that time I will be making the wristrest. The moment the invoice is paid I start work on them. If you live in a country outside of the US I will send out your order when I finish it. :)

Looking forward to grabbing a few :3
Quote from: Binge
crumping is like twerking but it's all about getting low with force.

Offline tr4ktor

« Reply #35 on: Sat, 14 November 2015, 03:30:46 »
I would be interested in a middle piece for a Planck and a matching wrist rest. I've been thinking about having a middle piece with a built in wrist rest (i.e. as a single piece). Would that be possible? Also, rounded corners would be nice!

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 14 November 2015, 09:45:11 »
I've been lurking this thread for quite some time, I think I've finally decided that I want some. Probably going to pick up a few TKLs, a numpad if possible and one to fit the lightsaver/rs96 which is just an inch longer than TKL.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline jaffers

« Reply #37 on: Sat, 14 November 2015, 17:06:02 »
I would be interested in a middle piece for a Planck and a matching wrist rest. I've been thinking about having a middle piece with a built in wrist rest (i.e. as a single piece). Would that be possible? Also, rounded corners would be nice!

It is totally possible! So it that a middle piece for the plank with wrist rest as a single piece? Or did you want a separate wrist rest?

I've been lurking this thread for quite some time, I think I've finally decided that I want some. Probably going to pick up a few TKLs, a numpad if possible and one to fit the lightsaver/rs96 which is just an inch longer than TKL.

Too easy, keep in mind shipping might be a bit pricey for that if I can't sort out a US based distributor.

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #38 on: Sat, 14 November 2015, 19:33:23 »
I'll grab a couple.

Offline tr4ktor

« Reply #39 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 14:51:53 »

It is totally possible! So it that a middle piece for the plank with wrist rest as a single piece? Or did you want a separate wrist rest?

Middle piece and wrist rest as a single piece  :D

Offline cryptokey

• * Destiny Supporter
  • [°°▄°] luser-friendly
« Reply #40 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 14:54:34 »
Wow, that's a really generous price!  I would certainly pick up a TKL rest (Varmilo VA87MR) - possibly one for my POK3R too. :thumb: I also really like that burnt wood finish previously mentioned.

Dimensions of POK3R are 295*102*38mm
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 November 2015, 12:56:25 by cryptokey »
More

[WTB] HHKB Black

Offline E3E

« Reply #41 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 15:11:25 »
Yeah, I'll probably be down for a few as well. At least one 75% in prep for the new Octagon, and then a 100% for my vintage boards, and maybe one for my num pad.

Offline jaffers

« Reply #42 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 02:30:12 »
If people could start posting the dimensions of their keyboards that would be great. I will have a very customizable form to fill out when I finish up uni in about a week now for everyone's orders so you can get it made to your exact specifications. All I need now is height and width so I can get a better understanding on how shipping will fare.

I am currently looking for volunteers for people to help out with the American shipment, if you'd like to offer a hand out just PM me and we can discuss details there.
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 November 2015, 22:43:29 by jfing14 »

Offline SploogeFactory

• Vitamin D deficient
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 06:58:46 »
If people could start posting the dimensions of their keyboards that would be great. I will have a very customizable form to fill out when I finish up uni in about a week now for everyone's orders so you can get it made to your exact specifications. All I need now is height and width so I can get a better understanding on how shipping will fare.

I am currently looking for volunteers for people to help out with the American shipment, if you'd like to offer a hand out just PM me and we can discuss details there.

If anyone has the dimensions of a Pok3r, shouldn't be too hard to find even online but yeah would be appreciated.

Offline jaffers

Re: [IC] Rosewood wrist rests MAJOR UPDATE TO OP.
« Reply #44 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 04:20:04 »
Bumpity bump. Updated OP dramatically

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 04:27:46 »
This project definitely intrigues me and the price is fantastic!
I have seen this thread before when it first went up and I failed to make a post here, but I have now made the effort to do so.
I cannot wait to see samples of the different styles out there.
This is absolutely phenomenal and I cannot wait to see the updates roll out.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline jaffers

« Reply #46 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 04:52:43 »
This project definitely intrigues me and the price is fantastic!
I have seen this thread before when it first went up and I failed to make a post here, but I have now made the effort to do so.
I cannot wait to see samples of the different styles out there.
This is absolutely phenomenal and I cannot wait to see the updates roll out.

Glad you think so man, I'm itching to get started on this. Hopefully the samples turn out as I hope

Offline trees

• I like bagels.
« Reply #47 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 08:27:14 »
Jaffers I could help with US orders
B.Face HHKB - B.mini - Black/Purple Custom

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #48 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 08:42:23 »
Saw the updated OP.  LOL that picture was classic.  I'm happy to help out with US orders, but I'm on the east coast, so packages would have to backtrack if they went to me first.

And I will buy two 60% waxed models.  I love rosewood.  My favorite pieces had interesting grain in the dark wood with some light toward the edges.  So nice.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #49 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 06:53:14 »
I think that the sample picture in the opening post is absolutely beautiful and would love to get some. I do have a few questions though.

The picture shows an end grain cut and really shows the wood in all of its glory. Is that how you intend to orient them? Do you know of any issues with shrinkage cracks in rosewood? Is rosewood reliably strong (translate-split resistant) cut that way given the length to thickness ratio?

Do you know if there will be any concerns about customs? That is, will there be additional import taxes or difficulty shipping a wood that is on certain endangered species lists?

I don't know if these are concerns at all but thought it best to be proactive and ask rather than be disappointed later.