Author Topic: Non-standard symbol layout programming  (Read 1285 times)

Offline ubermike

Non-standard symbol layout programming
« on: Fri, 11 September 2015, 14:27:44 »
Heya! I'm working on building my own compact keyboard and have been researching into programming a controller firmware. I've came up with a noobish question of uncertainty, so prepare yourself.

I have a keycap set from a minicom III TTY. MX compatible, it's compact and has a non-standard symbol legend which I want to use as an FN layer (see picture). I'm making my own case and hand-wired matrix. So my question is are certain symbols produced only through modifiers? for example to produce a "(" on a standard keyboard I must press "9" and "shift". Excuse my ignorance for not understanding but would that mean the keyboard just sends "9 and shift" to the computer, then the computer knows "9 + shift = ("?

Another example, the "D" key of this keyset has a "$" legend. I would like it so I could press "FN" and "D" to produce the "$"

I've taken a look at the easy AVR USB firmware mapper and some documentation on teensy and it appears there isn't a character code for just the "$" symbol. Is there some way to program the individual symbols to the FN layer? I suppose I could just set "4" as an extra key in the FN layer, but then I'd have to hold FN and shift then press D to get the $?

I'm just not certain and think someone here may have dealt with this before.

Here's the keyset so you can see what I mean by the legends. I'm trying to build a compact board, like an android phone keyboard. Going to have ctrl-alt-space-fn on the bottom row, not using that huge space bar.
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 September 2015, 15:06:46 by ubermike »

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Non-standard symbol layout programming
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 11 September 2015, 15:16:08 »
In EasyAVR there is a "with mods" option - if you set the key to 4 on the FN layer and tick "with mods: shift" you get your two-key $ :)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline ubermike

Re: Non-standard symbol layout programming
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 11 September 2015, 19:01:37 »
Ah that makes sense, I saw the setting but didn't understand what it did. Thanks!