Author Topic: Options for milling machines  (Read 1549 times)

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
Options for milling machines
« on: Fri, 11 September 2015, 21:30:25 »
Hey guys.  I am currently saving pennies and working toward picking up a manual milling machine.  I am currently eyeballing a Sherline 2000.  I am planning on starting with simple jigs and tools.  Such as wire bending jigs, diode bending tools for doing multiple inches of diodes at once, fully adjustable case feet, and possible kits for skeleton style cases for modle Fs.

The main issue is lack of travel for ideas I have for future projects.  Such as custom in house made carbon fiber model F plates, possible milled case for Fs, etc.  So I am looking for options for slightly larger machines.  The issue here is I don't have space for a full sized Bridgeport, nor do I have the cash or desire to install 3 phase for said machine.  So this mostly just leaves bench top sized or machines that usually include a small steel stand.

So my question is, what sort of options do I have for a smaller single phase machine?  I don't have an issue buying used but it has to be in decent operating condition, and be American made.

I realize this might be better asked in some machining forums, but the most popular ones are either cnc focused, or refuse to talk about smaller rigs.  Also, I am not going to build a cnc router.  I feel I won't be able to build with sufficient rigidity, for milling steels, plus they generally have a sever lacking in Z travel, and the ones that have more, are even less rigid.

Thanks for any help guys.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
Re: Options for milling machines
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 11 September 2015, 21:54:33 »
8" travel is not very much... Especially when a Model F is about 2' long. That said, most parts you'll be making won't be the whole length, and you can source pre-squared material for a bit more money, for those parts that need to be longer. With some creative work holding, you can even achieve pretty decent precision between mounting holes across multiple setups.

So I'd bet you could make that Sherline work for what you need, especially since you'll be the one designing the parts. Besides, I don't think you're going to find anything better, short of that Bridgeport.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 11 September 2015, 23:01:49 »
Frankly the American made is the harder  condition.

I was originally thinking of something like a Grizzly G0704 or one of the Precision Matthews machines.

Most of the American machines are big iron like the Bridgeport, but you may be able to find an American machine in the X3 size.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 11 September 2015, 23:07:44 »
Yeah, thats kind of what I am seeing right now guys.  But the sad truth, I probably won't be able to get full sized vintage iron for a few years.  I think I might pull the trigger on the Sherline unless I happen to find a good price on a full size rig and then look into possible 3 phase or a phase converter.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Charger

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 11 September 2015, 23:09:57 »
I started with a sieg x2(harbor freight mini mill) and now have a van norman #6 and wish i had something bigger still. The problem with small mills is they cant do much and every thing you do takes forever compared to a larger more solid mill.

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 11 September 2015, 23:21:36 »
I know that if you don't have the room a full size knee mill is out of the question,  but the 3 phase issue shouldn't concern you. I think I got a 5hp rotary phase converter for about $225 and it was simple to hook up. It's only a minor nuisance flipping the additional switch.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 11 September 2015, 23:23:06 »
I started with a sieg x2(harbor freight mini mill) and now have a van norman #6 and wish i had something bigger still. The problem with small mills is they cant do much and every thing you do takes forever compared to a larger more solid mill.

Just did a search on ebay and found a norman vertical mill for $1500 with some tooling.  Looks like a very solid unit, just not ready to buy yet.  And it is only one state away.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 11 September 2015, 23:26:54 »
Have you thought about renting time on another company's machine? If you find a small shop with a sole owner they may be willing to let you use an otherwise idle machine if you offer something in exchange for your time. Then you get a full-size machine in all its 3-phase glory.

Shouldn't be too hard to find something like that in IA, I wouldn't think.

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 11 September 2015, 23:32:47 »
Have you thought about renting time on another company's machine? If you find a small shop with a sole owner they may be willing to let you use an otherwise idle machine if you offer something in exchange for your time. Then you get a full-size machine in all its 3-phase glory.

I have not looked into it.  Every time I have contacted any actual machine shops, nobody even replied.  Not one email, phone call, nothing.  A friend of mine that owned a fabrication shop that did a lot of grain handling jobs for local farmers couldn't even get them to reply for RFQs for stuff he needed.  He ended up buying a bridgeport himself.  But due to a very ****ty situation, he had to sell it before I could come up with the money to buy it.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 11 September 2015, 23:36:00 »

I have not looked into it.  Every time I have contacted any actual machine shops, nobody even replied.  Not one email, phone call, nothing.  A friend of mine that owned a fabrication shop that did a lot of grain handling jobs for local farmers couldn't even get them to reply for RFQs for stuff he needed.  He ended up buying a bridgeport himself.  But due to a very ****ty situation, he had to sell it before I could come up with the money to buy it.

When I left the trade 2.5 years ago, it was just starting to pick back up after the recession. According to my old boss, so many shops closed during the recession that there aren't enough shops left to handle the rising demand, and he's turning away a ton of work. It's driving him nuts because he can't find a new hire for the life of him, so one of his CNC mills is sitting empty, and to him that's a huge lost opporutiny cost every single day that goes by.

So I guess it makes sense that they're not bothering to get back to the small fish.

My boards:
More