Author Topic: Heya! New Guy Here  (Read 3602 times)

Offline Muffinbottoms

Heya! New Guy Here
« on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 00:07:48 »
Howdy GH!

I've been living that peasant rubber dome keyboard life up until this year (only took me 22 years to discover these majestic devices) when I discovered mechanical keyboards and mechanical switches. Anything related to computers, modding/DIY, and electronics fascinate me. I pretty much needle dived head first into this hobby haha, mostly collecting and admiring the feel of different switches and keyboards. My collection so far consists of:

-IBM Model M 1390131 Oct 13 1988
-Infinity Board from Massdrop w/ Matias Quiet Clicks (not yet assembled)
-Vortex Pok3r w/ Cherry MX Clears
-Planck w/ Matias Clicks (not yet assembled)
-Apple AEK w/ Orange Alps SKCM (parts maybe)
-Apple Standard Keyboard w/ Salmon Alps SKCM (parts maybe)

I hope to contribute as much as possible here! I'm still new to the mechanical keyboard world, so I'll probably lurk more than I post haha :P

Offline raymogi

Re: Heya! New Guy Here
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 00:10:03 »
Welcome!

Great collection you got there :)
Please feed my addiction.

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 00:23:36 »
Welcome!

With all those ALPS boards you should be sure to check out some of the current interest checks. Seems like there might finally be some decent keycap options for those switches! The Matias QC are one of my absolute favorites. I switch between the modern 60% boards and an old IBM as well. Each provides a wonderfully different experience. Of those you have tried do you have a particular favorite?

Based on your listed interests, you are likely to find a lot of like minded people around here. There is a whole subforum on Making Stuff Together for those of us that are into the DIY thing. And of course, building our own boards there is a lot of talk of electronics and computers.  :thumb:
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline Muffinbottoms

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 01:04:40 »
Welcome!

Great collection you got there :)

Thanks a lot! :D

Welcome!

With all those ALPS boards you should be sure to check out some of the current interest checks. Seems like there might finally be some decent keycap options for those switches! The Matias QC are one of my absolute favorites. I switch between the modern 60% boards and an old IBM as well. Each provides a wonderfully different experience. Of those you have tried do you have a particular favorite?

Based on your listed interests, you are likely to find a lot of like minded people around here. There is a whole subforum on Making Stuff Together for those of us that are into the DIY thing. And of course, building our own boards there is a lot of talk of electronics and computers.  :thumb:

WOOOOOHHH!!! I was really sad when I first got my Infinity b/c it had blank PBT Alps caps (and I am fersure not a touch typist haha) and I couldn't really find any sets around except to harvest from other boards haha. I'm also excited for the 60% Alps pcb/plate interest checks, hopefully those come to fruition. Unfortunately I haven't been able to reach a soldering kit to try out my Matias/Alps yet :/ but so far the buckling spring is my absolute favorite! I love hefty switches with tactile feedback and clicks!
Yes! I saw some DIY board making and it's really inspiring me to try and make my own. I really liked Hatsu's post where he made his own ADB to USB adapter rather than just buying the expensive Griffin iMate.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 06:00:39 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

A good variety of keyboards and switches you have there :)

Any plans on which keyboard you'd like next?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline krbuck

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 07:55:27 »
Welcome Muffinbottoms!

You've got a great collection. I'm wondering what you think of the Planck assuming you are not used to ortholinear keyboards. I've always wanted to try a good one just to see how difficult it would be to switch.

POK3R - Brown Cherry MX

Offline Muffinbottoms

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 00:52:23 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

A good variety of keyboards and switches you have there :)

Any plans on which keyboard you'd like next?

Thanks! c:

Hmmm, I got the NKPC switch tester and as for MX switches I'm putting them on the back burner, my next goal is to try and secure a Topre board! :D

Welcome Muffinbottoms!

You've got a great collection. I'm wondering what you think of the Planck assuming you are not used to ortholinear keyboards. I've always wanted to try a good one just to see how difficult it would be to switch.

Thanks a lot! (:

And I wish I could tell you myself :C I haven't been able to reach a soldering iron to put together any of my DIY boards so I'm out of luck on trying out the ortholinear layout. It's definitely gonna be something though since I bought blank caps due to Matias Click Switches  :p

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 05:56:30 »
Thanks! c:

Hmmm, I got the NKPC switch tester and as for MX switches I'm putting them on the back burner, my next goal is to try and secure a Topre board! :D

That's an excellent idea! :D
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 07:28:37 »
Nice collection of Alps so far! Which layout did you choose for the Infinity, standard or hacker?

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 22:02:46 »
Great collection AND great username  :thumb:

Do you have a favorite so far?
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline Muffinbottoms

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 16 September 2015, 04:31:47 »
Nice collection of Alps so far! Which layout did you choose for the Infinity, standard or hacker?

Thanks a lot!

I foolishly went for the hacker layout so that I could make finding keycaps even more difficult for myself haha :P

Did you get an infinity as well? What switch and layout?

Great collection AND great username  :thumb:

Do you have a favorite so far?

Haha thanks! Not as great as yours though  :))

Hmmm well I just got my AEK w/ Orange SKCM Alps and god damn it sounds beautiful. It's definitely a tough battle between that one and my Model M.

How about you?

Offline Muffinbottoms

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 16 September 2015, 04:33:27 »
Thanks! c:

That's an excellent idea! :D

Thanks!  :D Gotta see what all the hubbub is about

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 16 September 2015, 11:56:39 »

Thanks a lot!

I foolishly went for the hacker layout so that I could make finding keycaps even more difficult for myself haha :P

I bought two Infinities during round 2: a standard layout with MX browns, and a hacker with Matias Quiets. That makes us Infinity twins! I think you're really going to like that Infinity with the Quiet Clicks once you get it assembled. Those switches are buttery smooth. But you're right about keycaps, they really don't exist yet. That's why I'm currently running an interest check for a 60% Alps keycap set which includes full compatibility for Infinity, AEKII, and Dell AT101(W) boards:

If this buy succeeds, it will be the first successful community-run GB for a full (60%) set of Alps caps. Here's a link to the IC thread in case you're interested.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Muffinbottoms

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 16 September 2015, 23:45:38 »

Thanks a lot!

I bought two Infinities during round 2: a standard layout with MX browns, and a hacker with Matias Quiets. That makes us Infinity twins! I think you're really going to like that Infinity with the Quiet Clicks once you get it assembled. Those switches are buttery smooth. But you're right about keycaps, they really don't exist yet. That's why I'm currently running an interest check for a 60% Alps keycap set which includes full compatibility for Infinity, AEKII, and Dell AT101(W) boards:

Show Image

If this buy succeeds, it will be the first successful community-run GB for a full (60%) set of Alps caps. Here's a link to the IC thread in case you're interested.

Woooooh! I've always wanted a twin :D! And oh my atlanta.....you are truly a savior among men :') I'm definitely gonna stayed posted on that set! I love the colors as well!