Author Topic: newbie  (Read 1406 times)

Offline kiwi24x

« on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 05:17:52 »
wassup geekhack
new guy here. I just recently in the past months got really into mechanical keyboards. My first board and one that I am currently using is the POKER 3 with cherry MX brown switches. If you'd like to know, I have tried typing on cherry red, brown, and blue keyboards, and giving my honest opinion, I don't like the blues very much, but the brown and reds feel great with brown being my favorite. I got a switch tester on massdrop that has cherry, gateron, and kailh switches but I don't have any experience typing on any switches other than the main 3. Also I love small boards. 60% keyboards FYW!!!!!

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Re: newbie
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 05:21:26 »
60% keyboards FYW!!!!!

That is correct.

Welcome to the Hack.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 06:01:58 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

We seem to go through phases of new members having a particular keyboard.  Now we've moved back to the Pok3r :)  A good solid keyboard, standard layout etc., can't go wrong!

Any plans to get a HHKB?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline krbuck

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 07:50:16 »
Hi kiwi24x - I'm relatively new to the community as well, but also have a Pok3r with browns. I'm getting parts to build a custom keyboard though; that's when you really know you have the sickness.  ;)

POK3R - Brown Cherry MX

Offline kiwi24x

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 17:11:59 »
Hmm i see i'm not as brave as the rest of you. I can't do much customization as i'm too scared of soldering. I don't wanna mess stuff up or ruin my keyboard so I just buy housing or keycaps. If i get a new keyboard it would need to be pre soldered and everything. lol

Offline kiwi24x

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 17:18:57 »
Any plans to get a HHKB?

naww the pro 2 does look great and heard it's great but topre seems to be out of reach for me since the switches are not compatible with the keycaps of other mechanical boards.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 05:51:40 »
Hmm i see i'm not as brave as the rest of you. I can't do much customization as i'm too scared of soldering. I don't wanna mess stuff up or ruin my keyboard so I just buy housing or keycaps. If i get a new keyboard it would need to be pre soldered and everything. lol

Find an old circuit board, maybe even an old VCR or DVD player someone has thrown out, and practice soldering on that.  Removing components, installing components.  Won't matter if you break it (especially if it is dead already).
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ