Author Topic: Cerakote - ceramic powder coating safe for plastics  (Read 7768 times)

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
Cerakote - ceramic powder coating safe for plastics
« on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 10:05:33 »
Cerakote is a US company that specializes in ceramic powder coating products that cure at low temperatures (about 70 C) and tolerate high temperatures. The company typically markets their products as firearm coatings. The product is easy enough to apply in a garage with special equipment, and takes about four hours total to apply (surface preparation, paint application, oven curing). It is compatible with many materials including plastics and metals.

http://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com

A neighbor of mine applies these coatings regularly. We chatted, I looked at the Web site, and I decided to give him a Model M keyboard as a sacrificial test. He applied the “H” product, in color code H-214Q, Smith’s Grey.

http://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/finishes/H-214Q/smiths-grey/

The neighbor had about 4oz of the product available. This was just enough to coat the outsides, but not the insides, of the keyboard shell. Next time we’ll pay more attention to cracks and gaps to do a slightly better job.

Takeaways:
1. The coating is extremely thin, so, clearances are no problem. This is much thinner than powder coating.
2. Once the curing is done, it is done. There are no VOCs, no smell.
3. Smith’s Grey is a nice, dark gray, but is not even close to RAL 7030 powder coat or an authentic Industrial M. We are still working on color matching.
4. The Cerakote product is available in a number of colors. We might try Federal Standard Grey next.
5. The product is not tacky at all once applied. Quite the opposite: it is exceptionally dry.

We are still doing some experiments to tune the colors, refine the process, and ascertain compatibility with various plastics. Model M shells are typically made of PVC so we know this works. We still need to test PBT and ABS plastics.

As stated elsewhere, sales are currently closed. We estimate that we could offer a good competitor to powder coating services for about $40 a keyboard. Or, I could perhaps offer pre painted shells, using Terminal M boards as donors, for about $75. Both M101 and M122 options would be available.

Now, for some photos. I compared the keyboard to both an authentic 1985 Industrial M, and to my 4704 terminal board powder coated in RAL 7030 gray.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Cerakote - ceramic powder coating safe for plastics
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 10:06:59 »
Huh, that's really cool to know. I know there's been some experimentation with cerakotes on metals. I've got a cerakote titanium back plate for a JD40 which is cool but this is awesome.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 10:36:35 »
Nice, that looks really good.  I've been wanting to cerakote some stuff, but it seemed like I needed some equipment I didn't have and was costly to purchase.  I really want to do my F AT shell and plate and some plates I have.

So, if you need an F AT to experiment with, I'm willing  ;D
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 September 2015, 10:38:07 by nubbinator »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 10:37:51 »
That'd be a good idea nubbinator: Cleaning and cerakoting the plates for an F. Would give a nice pop of color if you did it like phosphorglow. Thinking white or pink for the plate on my 6019284.
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 September 2015, 11:24:16 by CPTBadAss »

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 10:57:36 »
Thanks guys. I'll let you know when I'm ready to start accepting items for experimentation. I think this would be perfect for Model F plates.

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 11:12:17 »
can.. can you do HHKBs...

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 11:35:24 »
can.. can you do HHKBs...

I'm not sure. I believe HHKBs are ABS plastic? We have not yet tested ABS plastics. I've found that, so long as the temperature doesn't exceed 80 C or so, these will do okay.

I don't want to accept an HHKB for painting until we've tested another keyboard of ABS plastic. Even then, realize that this painting is "at your own risk". Now I would feel terrible if we destroyed your keyboard's shell and I really don't think that would happen but if it did the best we could do is say we're sorry.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 12:34:01 »
I know there's air cure Cerakote, but I think the colors are more limited.

And I have to say, $40 is a damn good deal, I'm guessing you'd be buying specific colors in bulk since most places I've seen sell 4oz for $35.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 12:34:31 »
Pm sent
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 12:41:49 »
The $40 price assumes a bulk order, or being able to use an in stock color. It is an introductory price.

I'm answering part of Melvang's PM here as I think the answers will interest everyone:

1.  Arre you guys willing to do custom colors?

ANSWER: Cost aside, I think the answer is yes. Cerakote ships as a powder IIUC. We could mix these easily enough before spraying.

2.  Have you tested this on PBT?

ANSWER: Not yet. The only tests we have run so far have been this one Model M casing which is presumably PVC. Of the plastics I know, PBT is the one I would expect to give us the least trouble.

3.  If yes to these two would you be willing to do a set of IBM caps?

ANSWER: Yes. I would like to use some IBM caps as a test. For a test, the color doesn't matter at all, since we're looking for adhesion and thickness. I'll look into giving my friend a few key caps for painting. Of course, after painting, these would not have legends. Also, the Cerakote is extremely dry. I'm not sure how desirable it would be to type on these.

4.  If no on 2, would you be willing to test on some PBT dsa caps?

ANSWER: Thanks for the offer! I have enough Model M caps around that those would be good for an initial test. Later on we can think about other key caps.

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 13:09:41 »
This has a nice, flat look to it. Seems like it would hold up well against skin oils and such. I'm definitely interested in this, once you nail down the right color for that industrial look. Only then I'd also have to replace the stock beige caps with white ones from Unicomp...

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps