Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 2080 times)

Offline BaconMaster

Introduction
« on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 19:44:14 »
Hi guys name's Jerry i'm currently a n00b at this website, so please have some patience with me :), I'm very proud to be part of this community and I wish to learn lots of stuff about modding mechanical keyboards. I currently have 2 keyboards, but used to have 3 (I gave my razer blackwidow 2012 to a cousin), the ones that I currently have are a Pok3r white with blue cherry mx switches, and a CM Quick fire TK with brown switches. Because I dont have any electronic engineer skills, Im afraid to desolder or solder stuff, although I would like to make my own 40% keyboard and remove the pok3r backplate to paint it black.

Im just a college student with low budget, low budget for parties, but many budget for headphones and keyboards :) . Im looking forward to buy an aluminum case for my pok3r and some wasdkeyboard keycaps  (I think most of the keycaps set that are sold in Massdrop are expensive and maybe they are not that sexy). Call me a noob, but I just want to stick around with Cherry switches, I'm kinda afraid of buying other type of switches because there is not enough feedback about some of them and also because so far.... Cherry switches work good for me.....and also because I dont want to buy a switch tester (dont have enough money to do so).

Im looking forward to make my pok3r look much different from what it was originally. Currently I'm looking for any guide on how to change the backplate color, when I bought, I didn't realize that the backplate was white, this bothers me a lot.

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 19:46:45 »
Welcome to GH!

I can't help you with the Pok3r guides, but I can tell you that if you keep at this hobby I can guarantee you'll be finding money for keyboards you never knew you had.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline ImpendingxDoom

• * Maker
  • MF the SuperVillain
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 19:47:24 »
Hey Bacon!
Best way to learn is to dive right it :D.

Also I thought the pok3r had an aluminum case stock with it. Maybe you just like the look of the tex case or something similar.

You will find lots of resources and ideas around here if you keep looking!

Offline captaineleven

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 19:52:41 »
Welcome to GH!

I can't help you with the Pok3r guides, but I can tell you that if you keep at this hobby I can guarantee you'll be finding money for keyboards you never knew you had.

Not to piggy back on this post, but this seems to be an ever-growing trend about a specific budget just for keyboards. Like magically, somewhere, the money is going to spring up somewhere even though I know that my paycheck isn't gonna show up for another two weeks  :)) And I'm barely a couple of months into this so I better prioritize some stuff or I'd be in big trouble!
So fancy!

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 20:01:55 »
Welcome to GH!

Not to piggy back on this post, but this seems to be an ever-growing trend about a specific budget just for keyboards. Like magically, somewhere, the money is going to spring up somewhere even though I know that my paycheck isn't gonna show up for another two weeks  :)) And I'm barely a couple of months into this so I better prioritize some stuff or I'd be in big trouble!

The key word here is budget. If you don't keep a budget, I guarantee you'll be out of money within two weeks even if you don't buy anything keyboard related.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 20:11:16 »
Welcome to geekhack, I love you.

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 20:12:43 »
Welcome to geekhack, I love you.

BUT I THOUGHT YOU LOVED ME??!

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline BaconMaster

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 21:04:46 »
Hey Bacon!
Best way to learn is to dive right it :D.

Also I thought the pok3r had an aluminum case stock with it. Maybe you just like the look of the tex case or something similar.

You will find lots of resources and ideas around here if you keep looking!

It does come with an aluminum case stock but what I meant was that I want a silver color aluminum case like this one https://longzilla.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/orange_v3.jpg

Offline BaconMaster

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 21:05:31 »
Thanks everyone for the replies!!!! Love you all (not homo).

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 06:02:32 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

The best way to paint a plate is to remove it from the keyboard, sandblast any existing paint off, paint it with primer, then a few coats of your selected finish.

Then reassemble the keyboard.

This is a huge amount of work just to change the colour, as it generally involves desoldering each switch, and then soldering them back in again.

Alternatively you could try colouring the plate and colour around the switches, just make sure you don't dribble anything into the switches.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ