Author Topic: Painting Pok3r backplate suggestions  (Read 2229 times)

Offline BaconMaster

Painting Pok3r backplate suggestions
« on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 19:49:09 »
Hello everyone, I would like to know if it is possible to paint a pok3r's backplate without desoldering the switches. If it's not possible, then I would like to know if there's a way in which I could desolder the switches and put them back on (I dont have not enough money to buy more key swithces :/ ). And if that's not possible, then maybe I should buy a black pok3r :// . Thanks in advance and please Im sorry for being a complete noob :)

On the other hand, maybe painting the backplate could be useless if it isn't a backlit keyboard. Silly me
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 September 2015, 19:52:27 by BaconMaster »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Re: Painting Pok3r backplate suggestions
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 19:58:34 »
It's not possible to paint the switch mounting plate without desoldering and removing all the switches. But you CAN reinstall those same switches after the plate is painted.

Whether it is worth it or not is up to you. It will rarely be seen, because it is hidden by the keycaps. Whether the Poker is backlit or not makes little difference. Now, if it were me, I would only desolder the switches to replace the plate with a custom one, like the ones LeandreN was selling recently.

And finally, welcome to Geekhack!
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline BaconMaster

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 21:10:04 »
It's not possible to paint the switch mounting plate without desoldering and removing all the switches. But you CAN reinstall those same switches after the plate is painted.

Whether it is worth it or not is up to you. It will rarely be seen, because it is hidden by the keycaps. Whether the Poker is backlit or not makes little difference. Now, if it were me, I would only desolder the switches to replace the plate with a custom one, like the ones LeandreN was selling recently.

And finally, welcome to Geekhack!
Thanks for the input, it seems that I will leave it like that for a long time.....or probably buy a black pok3r with red Cherry MX switches (I havent tried those yet).

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 21:21:00 »
I want to add, if you paint the plate black, you won't see it.  If you paint it a brighter color you can.  Not much but it can be enough for an accent color.  My Rosewill is white with a red plate.  Looks nice with sanctuary set.  You can actually see the red plate between the key.  Not a lot but enough to tell it is there.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich