Author Topic: [IC] "Troubled Minds" - a Joker/Eva01 inspired set - Up on Massdrop!  (Read 132191 times)

Offline MaNiFeX

• Wu Tang Killa Keebs
    • MaNiFeX.net
Re: [IC] "Troubled Minds" - a Joker/Eva01 inspired set
« Reply #300 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 12:29:38 »
Do you have more on that?  At least, from what I've read, a colorway is not a legally protected item in the US.  Someone could just submit a similar colorway under another name as far as I'm aware.

Plus, the word 'joker' especially if lower case does not denote anything that can be copyrighted.  Plus, the joker shows up on every pack of cards that's out there, regardless of colorway.  I'm sure if someone did a lime and purple card deck with jokers in it, nobody could say ****.  Not sure about it here, but as long as there's not copyrighted imagery, should be fine.

I'm totally interested, BTW.   :))

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #301 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 12:33:37 »
Do you have more on that?  At least, from what I've read, a colorway is not a legally protected item in the US.  Someone could just submit a similar colorway under another name as far as I'm aware.
I mean legally they could, but they'd be crucified by the community most likely (which some would still risk), and there's always the chance that MD/SP wouldn't be willing to do it. But yes, the only thing the designer really technically "owns" is any custom doubleshot molds they buy.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #302 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 12:53:57 »
I mean legally they could, but they'd be crucified by the community most likely (which some would still risk), and there's always the chance that MD/SP wouldn't be willing to do it. But yes, the only thing the designer really technically "owns" is any custom doubleshot molds they buy.

Okay, that's what I thought to be the case.  Actually, the designer would also own the various images created for the IC as, I believe, that does fall under copyright protection as a finished work.

Honestly, I thought it smart of PMK to put in the legal paperwork on that.  It avoids any confusion on the part of the community.  I just hope they get their site together better.  Another thought is that they might extend that to any buys done via MD where MD would require you to sign the SP agreement. 

Sorry for the tangent everyone.  That's been bugging me and I've wanted to know more about it so started asking questions and looking into it elsewhere.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled IC; and one where I've got the money set aside.
« Last Edit: Wed, 07 October 2015, 12:55:50 by Niomosy »

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #303 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 14:18:11 »
Hmm.. I guess SP can use the colorway for 1976 without the novelties and call it "Disco" or something and release it without paying engicoder anything.

"haters are confused admirers"

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #304 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 14:37:44 »

Okay, that's what I thought to be the case.  Actually, the designer would also own the various images created for the IC as, I believe, that does fall under copyright protection as a finished work.

Honestly, I thought it smart of PMK to put in the legal paperwork on that.  It avoids any confusion on the part of the community.  I just hope they get their site together better.  Another thought is that they might extend that to any buys done via MD where MD would require you to sign the SP agreement. 

Sorry for the tangent everyone.  That's been bugging me and I've wanted to know more about it so started asking questions and looking into it elsewhere.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled IC; and one where I've got the money set aside.

Massdrop isn't doing anything special, it's SP that have changed the rules for the new PMK site and the way it works. Used to be that a designer would run a GB through PMK and SP would make it, but not have the rights to sell more without permission from the designer, just like with Massdrop currently.

PuLSE, Skull Squadron DSA and original Retro were all run through the old PMK and are all "limited edition" sets that SP does not have rights to run themselves. MiTo and Matt3o will not allow them to be run again, they're one-off and more valuable for that.

The new document hands over everything to SP, so they can do what they want with the design. The designer doesn't retain anything except the right to run the same design with another manufacturer. They still own it in that sense, but have licensed it to SP.

I'll put it this way: If one person lays down a few colours of paint on a canvas in a particular pattern that can be recognised and someone else comes along and copies it and tries to sell it, it's called plagiarism and it's fairly easy to spot and companies like SP don't want to be caught doing it. It's bad for business all round. But they do want the profits that come from selling a good design whenever demand for it is high. Hence the way they're running the new PMK. Any designer who values their design would not give SP as much freedom as the license document gives them, IMHO.

They're tempting designers to sign with the 5% royalty, though. Some will go for it, I'm sure, but I think the sets that become legends will not be run through the new PMK. Most designers don't design keycap sets for profit, they do it for seeing their vision become a reality. It's more art than business.

However they get run, SP still profits from every set they sell. I think they're being overly greedy with the new system.

They wouldn't force all their customers to sign an agreement like that, and technically MD is just another customer placing an order for caps. It's just their own GB system that they can do this with. If they do go so far as to make MD / designers sign such an agreement for a large order of sets, I think most designers would simply stop using SP as a manufacturer for their designs, and probably a number of their regular customers, too.

</rant>
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #305 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 14:38:31 »
engicoder has given SP permission to run 1976 themselves, so they can actually call it "1976" ;)
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #306 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 14:52:07 »
engicoder has given SP permission to run 1976 themselves, so they can actually call it "1976" ;)

Oh right, I was just thinking about Niomosy's post, and the really unique colorways and how PMK can release them without paying designers anything. :)

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #307 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 15:17:49 »
I understand your concern. 

On the flip side, the wonderful news to me is that these claims of, "one time run only," are gone.  I prefer that.  Should anyone have missed out on a one time run of something, their only chance is in what may well be an overpriced aftermarket.  Get too many one time runs going and you'll find more people getting in on the original group buy simply to flip them for a profit later; just look at what things people are willing to flip over on Reddit's /f/flipping forum.

Personally, I see the SP 5% commission as SP trying to ensure things go well with the designs as they aren't under any legal obligation to do so and can just run any colorway on keycaps they want - novelties might be another matter as has been mentioned.
« Last Edit: Wed, 07 October 2015, 15:47:15 by Niomosy »

Offline FuriousGeorge

« Reply #308 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 15:55:07 »
I guess I just don't understand why it's a problem if SP re-runs sets to meet demand. Do people really feel better about themselves if they have different colored keys on their keyboard that other people can't buy?

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #309 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 16:04:43 »
I guess I just don't understand why it's a problem if SP re-runs sets to meet demand. Do people really feel better about themselves if they have different colored keys on their keyboard that other people can't buy?

I don't have any custom sets at the moment, just two Tai Hao doubleshot, but like any collector's hobby you have a feeling of satisfaction knowing you have a limited edition set. Not that I'm presumptuous enough to limit my set to a single run and call it a limited edition set, but it doesn't feel right to just hand over complete control to PMK. Do note they can modify the design at will too.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #310 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 16:10:12 »

I don't have any custom sets at the moment, just two Tai Hao doubleshot, but like any collector's hobby you have a feeling of satisfaction knowing you have a limited edition set. Not that I'm presumptuous enough to limit my set to a single run and call it a limited edition set, but it doesn't feel right to just hand over complete control to PMK. Do note they can modify the design at will too.

The main reason why I would ever worrying about signing it over to PMK is them altering the sets. I don't like the fact that they would end up with complete control over the set. I feel like once sets start losing interest/sales they'll just alter a few caps or change the set around in hopes of squeezing more money out of the design.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #311 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 16:10:42 »
This has gone too off-topic, IMO.

Let's just say that as a designer, I will not be using PMK for any of my own sets. Of course it's up to any designer to choose for themselves.

Once you design a set as a complete colourway and create and publish mockups, the design is automatically copyrighted according to US law, since it's a recognisable art work. Someone else could come up with the exact same scheme, but the first to publish gets covered legally.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #312 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 16:20:51 »
I have to point out I don't like single run sets, but if I missed a GB I don't think the designer should feel obligated to run it again, I hope they do but it's up to them. I missed Carbon, I'll just move on.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #313 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 17:39:15 »
Sorry guys, was an honest question that turned into a bit longer a conversation.

Back we go to the IC itself and waiting to see what happens with MassDrop on it.
« Last Edit: Wed, 07 October 2015, 18:05:50 by Niomosy »

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
Re: [IC] &quot;Troubled Minds&quot; - a Joker/Eva01 inspired set
« Reply #314 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 21:15:45 »
I don't really like the new PMK system, for a number of reasons:

1. No "limited edition" Group Buys. When you sign the form to use PMK for your set you give them the rights to produce it whenever they choose, so the sets have less rarity value and less perceived actual value. This will probably end up resulting in a lot less sales than they hope / expect.
2. No time limits / deadlines / production schedules, etc. No group feeling / community involvement.
3. They set the prices, it's not based on MOQ, so there's no incentive to get more people to order and no hype or sense of achievement when kits meets MOQ. There's no way for us to tell if a set is a "success" or not.

It just smacks of business for profit with no real community involvement to me and tries to get designers hooked in with a 5% profit. Essentially they pay us a royalty for us to design and market their product for them.

I prefer Massdrop for GB's and will probably continue to do so and not buy sets from PMK unless it's a really GREAT one that I just have to have.

I'm very interested in the Massdrop process, thank you for sharing how it works and please continue to do so :)

If they could implement a fallback solution for kits that don't meet MOQ it'd be just about perfect for GB's. I think that's the ideal solution for small ISO kits. Something like "If this kit doesn't meet MOQ, I'd like to replace it with: <dropdown with default 'none' option>". Should be relatively easy to implement and perhaps it would be useful for some other kinds of drops for them, too.

This is a good reason why PMK should be avoided - they are basically just getting free IP and profiting off other people's hard work
Well, they *are* the ones making the caps.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #315 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 00:40:56 »

This is a good reason why PMK should be avoided - they are basically just getting free IP and profiting off other people's hard work
Well, they *are* the ones making the caps.

Yes, that's their business. Making keycaps by commission. They make profit from any set they sell. We are their client when we order a bunch of caps made to our design. It doesn't mean it's fair for them to make and sell other people's designs at their own discretion and price, when all the design work and promotion have been done by the designer. That's like a factory that's commissioned by Volkswagen to make 100 Golfs making more at their own discretion and selling them themselves at whatever price they choose. Ethical, or not?

IMO, the number of runs of a set should be the designer's choice. A set that's sold "off-the-shelf" will never feel as special as a set that only gets made on rare occasions. Massdrop handles this pretty well with their request system. If enough people are requesting a set design, they will approach the designer to see if they can run the set again. It's up to the designer at that point.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #316 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 14:28:01 »

This has gone too off-topic, IMO.

Let's just say that as a designer, I will not be using PMK for any of my own sets. Of course it's up to any designer to choose for themselves.

Once you design a set as a complete colourway and create and publish mockups, the design is automatically copyrighted according to US law, since it's a recognisable art work. Someone else could come up with the exact same scheme, but the first to publish gets covered legally.

Do you have more on this?  I'm going to redirect us to a new thread specific to this topic to avoid additional clutter here and get this topic back on focus.  Also, there's a topic specific to PMK up on the keyboard site.  I'd love for you to chime in there as we seem to have differing opinions on them and I'd love to hear more of your take on it.  It's a fascinating discussion.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #317 on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 13:43:55 »
Quick bumpy back up.  Any news by chance? 

and here my wife normally praises my patience.  I guess it has its limits ;)

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #318 on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 17:36:11 »

Unfortunately I have no update, I'm clueless myself.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #319 on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 17:53:47 »

Unfortunately I have no update, I'm clueless myself.

No worries.  Thought I'd check in and try to get us back on topic.  Sounds like we're waiting on MassDrop for now.

Offline just66in

« Reply #320 on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 20:44:03 »
Anxiously waiting coz I need this in my life haha

Offline dutC4

« Reply #321 on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 20:48:55 »
This really took off..

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #322 on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 21:27:28 »
This really took off..

The GOOD stuff always will.........  :thumb:

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #323 on: Wed, 14 October 2015, 07:20:33 »
I made a mockup for Planck, if anyone can give feedback if what I did is right/wrong that would be great.

Also, I made a short video, but you must forgive me I don't have video editing skills (yet).  :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DBA_-t69ac

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #324 on: Wed, 14 October 2015, 07:30:06 »
Planck and Atomic, I assume? Having 2U backspace, enter and shft is not normal for planck. Just call it the Ortho-pack or something, those who need it will know.
Looks great! Perhaps add a FN2, that's the only thing I can think of. Oh, and Meta.

Offline kokokoy

« Reply #325 on: Wed, 14 October 2015, 07:31:43 »
Damn! The vid made this IC completely insane!

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #326 on: Wed, 14 October 2015, 07:33:10 »
Planck and Atomic, I assume? Having 2U backspace, enter and shft is not normal for planck. Just call it the Ortho-pack or something, those who need it will know.
Looks great! Perhaps add a FN2, that's the only thing I can think of. Oh, and Meta.

Ahh yes, Planck/Atomic Kit. I assume FN2 and Meta are R4 keys? Is FN2 the same as FUNC, if so should I just add another FUNC key? Thanks a lot!

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #327 on: Wed, 14 October 2015, 07:35:00 »
Well, some people use FN and FN2 instead of raise and lower, since they don't switch layers but just use the FN key like normal Pok3r-style modifiers. But yeah, add a Func key and a meta key, and I think both should be R4, but you WILL get people who have weird layouts, so you'll never please anyone.

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #328 on: Wed, 14 October 2015, 07:38:59 »
Well, some people use FN and FN2 instead of raise and lower, since they don't switch layers but just use the FN key like normal Pok3r-style modifiers. But yeah, add a Func key and a meta key, and I think both should be R4, but you WILL get people who have weird layouts, so you'll never please anyone.

I see, that helps a lot. Thanks, I'll update the kit.

Damn! The vid made this IC completely insane!

Glad you like it, it took almost a day and a half to render that short, low res video  :))

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #329 on: Wed, 14 October 2015, 08:01:58 »

I made a mockup for Planck, if anyone can give feedback if what I did is right/wrong that would be great.

Show Image

Also, I made a short video, but you must forgive me I don't have video editing skills (yet).  :)

S&@# just got real!!

Offline MohammedSmith

« Reply #330 on: Wed, 14 October 2015, 08:45:02 »
I need those control keys...

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #331 on: Wed, 14 October 2015, 08:49:10 »
Skidata+, Matt3o's Topre set, and Troubled Minds are all the sets I'm getting in the near future.

Update:
Looks like Granite Round 4, too.  :confused:
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 October 2015, 10:30:44 by romevi »

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #332 on: Wed, 14 October 2015, 08:54:21 »
Well that video was awesome got to say your probably the best group buy interest check person ever bar none just on the effort going into the interest check

Best
Interest check
Bar none
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #333 on: Wed, 14 October 2015, 09:53:46 »
Yeah, this has been a fun thread 😊

Offline MyBoolean

« Reply #334 on: Wed, 14 October 2015, 10:54:06 »
Woowwwwww. That looks great. Drooling for this one

Offline just66in

« Reply #335 on: Wed, 14 October 2015, 14:26:43 »

Show Image

Woah!  :cool: You've really brought IC threads to a whole new level. Once again, very well done thesiscamper  :thumb:

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #336 on: Wed, 14 October 2015, 15:38:48 »
Great news everyone, after a chat with the guys at Massdrop things are definitely moving along and Troubled Minds is set to launch mid-November. There are a couple of sets in the pipeline but if things go smoothly we'll be going live soon!

Offline Hexterdude

• I have a problem when it come to artisans
« Reply #337 on: Wed, 14 October 2015, 15:46:44 »
Great news everyone, after a chat with the guys at Massdrop things are definitely moving along and Troubled Minds is set to launch mid-November. There are a couple of sets in the pipeline but if things go smoothly we'll be going live soon!
The hype is real, I'm so happy that all your hard work is paying off. I'm going to buy this as soon as it drops

Offline T0mb3ry

• https://www.instagram.com/t0mb3ry_gh/
    • Flickr
« Reply #338 on: Wed, 14 October 2015, 15:49:35 »
Gosh i am ready cant miss those colors!

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #339 on: Wed, 14 October 2015, 16:00:09 »
The hype is real, I'm so happy that all your hard work is paying off. I'm going to buy this as soon as it drops

This sounds cheesy but it's a labor of love, I really enjoyed working on this set :)

Gosh i am ready cant miss those colors!

I love your designs and I'm really happy you like this.  :thumb:

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #340 on: Wed, 14 October 2015, 16:01:59 »
Glad to see this one moving along.  Solid video, there.  The render time was worth it.

Offline cwils0n

• twiggletwaggle
« Reply #341 on: Wed, 14 October 2015, 16:16:53 »
Awesome news! 

I'd also like to chime in and say that this will become one of those memorable sets.

Offline linkshine

• * Destiny Supporter
  • If you wanna b my lover, u gotta get w/ my friends
« Reply #342 on: Wed, 14 October 2015, 19:17:04 »
Just wanted to reaffirm that this is a day 1 purchase for me

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #343 on: Wed, 14 October 2015, 20:04:10 »
This is one of those sets that makes you consider buying a new board just to use it on.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Data

« Reply #344 on: Wed, 14 October 2015, 21:27:21 »

Show Image

Nice kit.  Backspace is already a 2u, Row 1 key in the base kit so you might be doubling up there unless you intended to offer the alphas separately from the mods.  Might also want to try a purple 2u spacebar.   :thumb:

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #345 on: Wed, 14 October 2015, 22:44:21 »
You're just going all out with video renders now. I already have a hard time telling when a set is real and when its another of your renders  :eek:
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #346 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 01:27:54 »
This is one of those sets that makes you consider buying a new board just to use it on.

I'm racking up some Amazon gift card money so a Novatouch might just be the ticket here.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #347 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 02:43:25 »
That was fast. I've been pimping Massdrop for a while, but honestly they do a better job of promoting themselves by just doing a great job for us, and in my opinion they are.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #348 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 03:31:44 »
That was fast. I've been pimping Massdrop for a while, but honestly they do a better job of promoting themselves by just doing a great job for us, and in my opinion they are.

Looking forward to seeing this key-set soon on MassDrop  ;D .

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #349 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 04:57:57 »
Thanks a lot guys for the awesome support, I really appreciate it, especially as someone who is relatively new to mechanical keyboards.  :)

Nice kit.  Backspace is already a 2u, Row 1 key in the base kit so you might be doubling up there unless you intended to offer the alphas separately from the mods.  Might also want to try a purple 2u spacebar.   :thumb:

You're right, I'll change that backspace for now replace it with a purple spacebar, thanks!  :thumb: