Author Topic: [IC] Shades of blue  (Read 3231 times)

Offline YabosMcGee

[IC] Shades of blue
« on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 07:33:17 »
Background

I've wanted to see if a set could be produced using only different shades of blue, and no other color. So, I only have a color scheme in mind, and wanted to see what people thought. I haven't thought about legends, profile, etc yet. The only name I could think of at this point was Blue Danube, but I'm not sure it really fits.

Update 10/1/14
Inverted some colors - see Keyboard Layout Editor for the latest layout

Keyboard Layout Editor
Feel free to fork it and try out changes

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/f854f7001a66bc792ce9

So, just throwing this out there to get some feedback. I'd appreciate any input. Thanks.

« Last Edit: Mon, 05 October 2015, 06:52:41 by YabosMcGee »

Offline TheMalacoda

Re: [IC] Shades of blue
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 07:53:54 »
Not "Rhapsody in Blue"?  :)

Did you want the modifiers to be the lighter color? I wonder what it would look like with the alphas and modifiers reversed in color? Definitely classy either way.

Offline YabosMcGee

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 09:01:59 »

Did you want the modifiers to be the lighter color? I wonder what it would look like with the alphas and modifiers reversed in color? Definitely classy either way.

Thanks for the feedback and name. I did intend for the modifiers to be lighter color. I really like dark blue, and was thinking that the alphas would look nice in a navy blue. Also, I'm pretty sure the inverted colors are VERY similar to other IC out there right now, namely the Dasher/Dancer IC over on deskthority.

http://deskthority.net/group-buys-f50/sa-dasher-sa-dancer-keycap-sets-t11572.html

In fact, I only discovered the Dasher/Dancer IC after I created this layout (last week), so I'm already concerned that I'll either be called a copycat, or there won't be any interest in this layout. Dasher/Dancer does use a different dark blue, and uses white for the legends. However, it also uses BFN like my idea does. The only reason I went ahead and posted this IC is because mine does have the darker blue I'm interested in, and uses different shades of blue, including the legends.

Out of curiosity, I went ahead and inverted the color scheme just to see how it looked.

Offline harlw

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 12:16:14 »

Thanks for the feedback and name. I did intend for the modifiers to be lighter color. I really like dark blue, and was thinking that the alphas would look nice in a navy blue. Also, I'm pretty sure the inverted colors are VERY similar to other IC out there right now, namely the Dasher/Dancer IC over on deskthority.

http://deskthority.net/group-buys-f50/sa-dasher-sa-dancer-keycap-sets-t11572.html

In fact, I only discovered the Dasher/Dancer IC after I created this layout (last week), so I'm already concerned that I'll either be called a copycat, or there won't be any interest in this layout. Dasher/Dancer does use a different dark blue, and uses white for the legends. However, it also uses BFN like my idea does. The only reason I went ahead and posted this IC is because mine does have the darker blue I'm interested in, and uses different shades of blue, including the legends.

Out of curiosity, I went ahead and inverted the color scheme just to see how it looked.

Show Image

I prefer the original colorway personally, and of course, my opinion matters the most  :o

I'm crazy about a good blue combo myself so I'm probably on board either way... :D
Ergodox (x2), V.EA Clone, Tada68, Atreus XL, Planck, Model M 70% Mod

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 18:20:15 »
I love blue combos.  This definitely has my interest, particularly the light blue caps for the alphas though both are great.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 18:25:54 »
my kind of set ;)
I love Elzy

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 19:08:53 »
my kind of set ;)

You youngsters, some people need their magnifying glasses to even see these legends.  Wait when you're my age then understand the true HORROR of this key-set.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 19:09:37 »
my kind of set ;)

You youngsters, some people need their magnifying glasses to even see these legends.  Wait when you're my age then understand the true HORROR of this key-set.

I only use blanks anyway doesn't matter if I can see the legends :p
I love Elzy

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 20:50:33 »

Dagnabbit now that's being extremely cruel and unjust because us seniors don't remember anything except when it's time to eat, sh1t and sleep.

Offline YabosMcGee

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 05:42:20 »
my kind of set ;)

Honestly, I haven't even thought of the legends yet. I just left it with the default in the editor. Figured I'd see if there was any interest in the color scheme first, before sinking any serious time into it. Appreciate the feedback, though.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 08:18:51 »
My crap MS Paint edit to fix some color inversions:

KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline YabosMcGee

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 08:38:00 »

Show Image

Hrrmmm....Yeah, I think the spacebar definitely looks better in the alpha color. I like the tilda in the alpha color, too. But, I'm not sure about the pipe key. It kinda makes it look a little asymmetrical to me.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 08:44:30 »

Dagnabbit now that's being extremely cruel and unjust because us seniors don't remember anything except when it's time to eat, sh1t and sleep.

Senior Elrick? Nah! You should be in the twenties.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 08:46:55 »

Show Image

Hrrmmm....Yeah, I think the spacebar definitely looks better in the alpha color. I like the tilda in the alpha color, too. But, I'm not sure about the pipe key. It kinda makes it look a little asymmetrical to me.

Those are the "standard" colors. You can always include the inverse for symmetry if you like, but be sure to have the "standard" colorway for those like me who have OCD about how sets are colored.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."