Author Topic: NaNoWriMo?  (Read 2808 times)

Offline ds26gte

NaNoWriMo?
« on: Wed, 28 October 2009, 14:50:29 »
November is National Novel Writing Month, when you can sign up with the http://www.nanowrimo.org website to write a novel of 50,000 words.  Anyone here want to test their trusty Filcos and Topres and SMKs and Kineses and Datahands and Unicomps and Model Ms against this challenge?
Bloody B820R with LK blues. Logitech Marble Mouse unplugged and inside a drawer for emergencies.

Offline itlnstln

NaNoWriMo?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 28 October 2009, 14:53:08 »
If XsPhat stops by any time soon, I think he would be interested.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
NaNoWriMo?
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 28 October 2009, 19:54:18 »
Gah. novels? Maybe I'll dig out one of my Iowa Writing Workshop debacles and see if it's worth continuing.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
NaNoWriMo?
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 28 October 2009, 23:58:10 »
The closest to writing I do is forums and play-by-email RP.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline megarat

• (Not My Real Name)
    • http://www.megarat.com
NaNoWriMo?
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 29 October 2009, 11:33:08 »
I completely respect the spirit of NaNoWriMo, but it seems to me that its best purpose is as an exercise (or rather a carrot-and-stick motivator) for actual/aspiring writers who want to improve their ability to get motivated and/or produce content.  I.e., "Here's a deadline, here's a word-count goal, what are you waiting for?"

The web site effectively says this:  "... the ONLY thing that matters in NaNoWriMo is output. It's all about quantity, not quality. The kamikaze approach forces you to lower your expectations, take risks, and write on the fly.  Make no mistake: You will be writing a lot of crap. And that's a good thing. By forcing yourself to write so intensely, you are giving yourself permission to make mistakes. To forgo the endless tweaking and editing and just create. To build without tearing down."

I'm writing fiction fairly consistently, so I don't feel that I would benefit much from the "exercise" of NaNoWriMo, but it does seem very fun socially.  (Realistically, carving enough time to produce 1700 words/day for 30 consistent days around my 17-month-old son and marathon training would be untenable right now.)  Plus I've always found it astonishing that Stephen King allegedly composed "The Running Man" (as Richard Bachman, circa 1982) in a single week.   I've always wanted to schedule a week's vacation and completely clear the deck to try the same thing myself.

Home/Work:  Custom Filco FKBN87Z/EB and SGI 041-0136-001 chimera (original white ALPS, not simplified, rubber-dampened)
Gaming:  Wolfking Warrior with custom-colored layout, HHKB Lite 2 (Rubber dome)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
NaNoWriMo?
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 30 October 2009, 12:10:49 »
The problem with NaNoWriMo is it makes writing something you HAVE to do. I think the idea is fundamentally flawed because of that. I have considered doing this in the past, but with books dying right now so bad publishers aren't even buying first-timer's novels anymore, really how valid is the novel in Q4 2009? I'm sure many members here read them, myself included, but until a killer e-ink reader comes out at a decent consumer price, the novel is a dead medium. I have been focusing on my two columns, short stories and screenplays for the past year or so and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

On Flickr, there is a NaNoWriMo group where people post pictures of the typewriters they use for this. Can you imagine doubling your work load and doing two drafts of 50k words in Nov.? One guy said he had to quit because four of his fingertips busted open.

Offline ds26gte

NaNoWriMo?
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 30 October 2009, 22:02:19 »
Quote from: xsphat;129395
On Flickr, there is a NaNoWriMo group where people post pictures of the typewriters they use for this. Can you imagine doubling your work load and doing two drafts of 50k words in Nov.? One guy said he had to quit because four of his fingertips busted open.

Good grief!  Thank God computer keyboards are somewhat safer than typewriters!

So, group, I have this, um, friend of mine who's signed up for nanowrimo and he wants to know what would be the best keyboard for typing 1667 words daily for 30 days, in addition to his usual (modest) job-related typing load.  His plan right now is to alternate between his SMK-88 blue Cherry board and a KeyTronic Designer-P2 (a rubber dome that was the basis of a former Das and is light-touch yet clicky).

He realizes he may not be able to get the recommended board in time for this race, but he could treat himself to it as a reward or consolation, and use it in future endeavors of like magnitude.
Bloody B820R with LK blues. Logitech Marble Mouse unplugged and inside a drawer for emergencies.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
NaNoWriMo?
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 30 October 2009, 23:08:35 »
The keyboard is only the tool, so it's not what he should be worrying about. Tell him to use what he is most comfortable with and concentrate on the task at hand. Plan the celebration later.

Offline Rajagra

NaNoWriMo?
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 31 October 2009, 08:08:50 »
I can't help but think this is an enormous prank by someone seeing if they can trick others into doing something completely pointless and wasting a whole month of their life.

Having said that, if I had a germ of an idea for a novel in me I might be tempted. Maybe next year.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
NaNoWriMo?
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 31 October 2009, 22:02:32 »
What I don't like is the start date. With novels and screenplays, I get the story worked through in my head and then soon I get to the point that I can't help but write the thing. I'm not gonna be pushing it off until a website tells me "GO!" It would be better if you could just start your novel and vow to finish 50,000 words of it within 30 days of your start date.

The other thing is you don't actually have to submit anything congruent. I could copy and paste a few stories together and garble the text and get the seal of having done it.

Maybe I'm too old world or too academic for this to work, but then again I have written novels and screenplays and I'm guessing many who honestly do this are working on their first.

Offline ds26gte

NaNoWriMo?
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 01 November 2009, 18:28:12 »
I decided to be a damn fool and sign up for NaNoWriMo this year after four years of simply wishing I could.

3273 words on the first day (a Sunday, so won't be typical).  I thought I would get signer-upper's remorse after being stuck at 800 and remembering all the other things I need to do, so I am relieved.

I think I'm the only GHer in the race, and I'm even more certain I'm the only Colemakker.  Anyway, I'm representing y'all, so wish me luck.

The SMK-88 blue board I'm using is OK, but I wouldn't actively endorse it.  It seems somewhat underbuilt.  A couple days ago, the spacebar was unresponsive to my right thumb (which is what I always use for this key).  You can imagine my panic!  I pried loose the bar to re-seat it and was rather dismayed at the milk-bottle-plastic I saw there.  I just know it's going to unseat again.  Plus, the case seems warped.  On top of it, or rather on bottom of it, the little canal in which the cord is seated is gimpy and could make the keyboard a wobble board if I don't keep squeezing the cord back into its groove every so often.  

I've decided I shouldn't use this as a semiportable keyboard any more.  I am not a keyboard fetishist -- I mean, enthusiast!  (I only have one mechanical keyboard and don't like electronic clutter.)  Just want something that will work reliably through a long project and not have a 'mechanical' (as the cyclists say) at the wrong moment.  I think the SMK-88 will work out fine if I don't carry it around: but I do wish I had a robuster board that will let me use my laptop in different places.  

But maybe immobility is not too bad -- sitzfleisch seems to let me eke out those words.  At least for now.  Touch wood.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
NaNoWriMo?
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 01 November 2009, 18:33:44 »
If you kill your SMK88 in a month of writing I would be seriously impressed, and you would have bragging rights while DSi would have a little explaining to do.

If you get through this one and want to do it again next year, I'll set you us with a 1920s Underwood No. 5 — then you will know how humans are supposed to write.

And good luck.