Author Topic: HHKB Mac Sleep Issue  (Read 16335 times)

Offline agbockus

HHKB Mac Sleep Issue
« on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 09:41:54 »
Hello there, I'm typing this from my month old HHKB from EK. I'm loving the Topre feel and I love the keyboard - but I use this at work. I've noticed that if I put my MacBook Pro to sleep for any long than 10-20 minutes, the keyboard won't respond after waking it up - sometimes for an hour or more. Restarting and plugging/unplugging doesn't fix it. I've heard of this bug in OS X but I'm in desperate need of figuring this out - whenever I go on lunch I have to come back and spend the rest of the day typing on my Macbook's keyboard...and it's so horrible after using the HHKB all day! Any help would be greatly appreciated! (Sorry if this is in the wrong sub/thread - I figured it might be a keyboard issue).

PS - I've already installed the mac drivers from the EK website, but it didn't make a difference. Also, the dip switch for Mac layout is on (obviously).

Thanks ahead of time everybody!

Mod Edit: This topic was split from the Simple Questions thread, since its scope exceeds that of the Simple Questions thread.
« Last Edit: Thu, 08 October 2015, 12:39:36 by HoffmanMyster »

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
Re: Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 10:23:55 »
Hello there, I'm typing this from my month old HHKB from EK. I'm loving the Topre feel and I love the keyboard - but I use this at work. I've noticed that if I put my MacBook Pro to sleep for any long than 10-20 minutes, the keyboard won't respond after waking it up - sometimes for an hour or more. Restarting and plugging/unplugging doesn't fix it. I've heard of this bug in OS X but I'm in desperate need of figuring this out - whenever I go on lunch I have to come back and spend the rest of the day typing on my Macbook's keyboard...and it's so horrible after using the HHKB all day! Any help would be greatly appreciated! (Sorry if this is in the wrong sub/thread - I figured it might be a keyboard issue).

PS - I've already installed the mac drivers from the EK website, but it didn't make a difference. Also, the dip switch for Mac layout is on (obviously).

Make sure dip switch 6 is on (wake up enabled). I have never had a problem with wake up on Mac OS X with the HHKB's, also the drivers are not needed. The Realforce keyboards have real issue with waking up Mac's, its best to wake with a mouse click or trackpad. Maybe it might be a problem with your Macbook and not the HHKB, if you can try it with another Mac.

Offline agbockus

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 15:16:37 »

Make sure dip switch 6 is on (wake up enabled). I have never had a problem with wake up on Mac OS X with the HHKB's, also the drivers are not needed. The Realforce keyboards have real issue with waking up Mac's, its best to wake with a mouse click or trackpad. Maybe it might be a problem with your Macbook and not the HHKB, if you can try it with another Mac.

I've tried dip 6 on and off and it's still happening...and I've started using my mouse to wake it up exclusively, but it still stops responding. It did it today after being closed for 5 minutes. I have no idea what's happening. I'm guessing the USB keyboard driver must be crashing or something? That's my thought....because Android File Transfer used to cause that to happen, although that also effected the built-in keyboard so I have no idea (I no longer have that installed). Hmmmm....

Offline agbockus

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 10:58:45 »

I've tried dip 6 on and off and it's still happening...and I've started using my mouse to wake it up exclusively, but it still stops responding. It did it today after being closed for 5 minutes. I have no idea what's happening. I'm guessing the USB keyboard driver must be crashing or something? That's my thought....because Android File Transfer used to cause that to happen, although that also effected the built-in keyboard so I have no idea (I no longer have that installed). Hmmmm....

Alright, round 3 - it is simply 100% not recognizing key presses on my macbook. I plugged it into another MacBook and was able to do the quick set up and use it. However, I cannot figure out why but it will not work on mine. I'm beyond frustrated and really sad more than anything...I really like my keyboard but I can't figure out why it won't work!

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 12:03:06 »
My guess is your macbook is unable to supply enough power. Are you using one of the new USB ports with extra power? Note: new is a relative term, they arrived quite a few years ago.

More info here concerning the new ports: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204377

No info about the old ports, no idea how much power they pushed.

Offline agbockus

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 12:19:31 »
My guess is your macbook is unable to supply enough power. Are you using one of the new USB ports with extra power? Note: new is a relative term, they arrived quite a few years ago.

More info here concerning the new ports: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204377

No info about the old ports, no idea how much power they pushed.
Oh, yes. This MacBook Pro is 2 months old - it has USB 3.0 ports (I've tried both of them). The weirdest part is that it shows up under System Preferences > Keyboards > Modifier Keys... it will even let me change those around. I plugged my wireless mouse receiver into one of the HHKB usb ports and it continues to work. So everything works except the actual keys on the keyboard, and only on my computer (I tested it on another).

Offline tofgerl

Re: HHKB Mac Sleep Issue
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 12:49:33 »
Then it's not the power... Did you try the EventViewer in Karabiner?

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 13:23:28 »
Is your keyboard set in Mac mode with DIP switch #1 off and #2 on? Also, uninstall the driver. From OS X 10.8.5 and onward, this software is not necessary for the media keys to work.

Offline agbockus

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 14:27:32 »
Then it's not the power... Did you try the EventViewer in Karabiner?

Just tried it - no events are being registered from the keyboard. But it still functions as a USB hub and it works on other machines.

Is your keyboard set in Mac mode with DIP switch #1 off and #2 on? Also, uninstall the driver. From OS X 10.8.5 and onward, this software is not necessary for the media keys to work.

That's correct - 1 is off and 2 is on. I uninstalled the driver a little bit ago and still nothing. I have no idea why this is happening...I've also tried deleting the keyboard.plist file
« Last Edit: Thu, 08 October 2015, 14:29:59 by agbockus »

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 14:31:22 »
OK, then it pretty much has to be a driver issue. I suppose you might try checking to see if all the driver files were actually uninstalled, but at this point I think you should contact the manufacturer.

Offline agbockus

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 14:34:51 »
OK, then it pretty much has to be a driver issue. I suppose you might try checking to see if all the driver files were actually uninstalled, but at this point I think you should contact the manufacturer.

That's what I was thinking...but then I have no idea where these files get installed (especially since the install application is entirely in Japanese). It's definitely something software-wise on just this Mac, so that's really all it could be...

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 17:14:15 »

That's what I was thinking...but then I have no idea where these files get installed (especially since the install application is entirely in Japanese). It's definitely something software-wise on just this Mac, so that's really all it could be...
If your Macbook is only 2 months old call Apple tech support and have them help you resolve the issue. It has to be an issue with your hardware or a software incompatibility (Mac or third party), but Apple tech support is top notch.
« Last Edit: Thu, 08 October 2015, 17:40:35 by MJ45 »

Offline agbockus

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 17:51:34 »

If your Macbook is only 2 months old call Apple tech support and have them help you resolve the issue. It has to be an issue with your hardware or a software incompatibility (Mac or third party), but Apple tech support is top notch.

So after spending way too much time on this, I tried it on the other MacBook that it worked on before and it's not working now. This is insane. I'm thinking it's the board. My last hope is that I'm going to switch off of Mac mode and try it on my desktop Win10 PC at home. Hopefully that'll help it reidentify itself or something.

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 22:22:56 »
Are both macs running the same OS?

Offline agbockus

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 00:58:25 »

Are both macs running the same OS?
Yes, the latest OS X 10.10

I'm finally able to plug it into my desktop at home...and I think the controller has just slowly given up because it doesn't register on this computer either. Having bought it from EK, should I contact them at this point? I'm so disappointed right now as I don't really want to go through the stressful situation of dealing with customer support and repair procedures. And I also really want to know why this all happened so I can prevent it from happening in the future!

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 01:42:43 »
I think it's your board's controller too.

Try opening it and disconnect the USB controller from the board itself (disconnect the top part - be careful), the reconnect, see below

If this doesn't work, you have one of two options:

1. Contact EK, I would since your board is only a month old. I bet Brian can work with you and hopefully get you a replacement.

2. Look at getting a hasu controller. Quite nice, but this involves throwing money where it may not be needed.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 03:31:34 »
Too bad it wasn't DOA, that's usually far simpler for the store to deal with. With things that develop later the manufacturer always has to try to fix the problem, and that will take time.

Offline agbockus

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 13 October 2015, 09:19:15 »
I think it's your board's controller too.

Try opening it and disconnect the USB controller from the board itself (disconnect the top part - be careful), the reconnect, see below

Show Image

If this doesn't work, you have one of two options:

1. Contact EK, I would since your board is only a month old. I bet Brian can work with you and hopefully get you a replacement.

2. Look at getting a hasu controller. Quite nice, but this involves throwing money where it may not be needed.

Yeah, I might check that...because I got home on Saturday (this all happened on Friday) and I was about to pack it up and send it to EK (they agreed to fix it and such)...when I plugged it into my laptop at home to see if I could fix it one last time. It worked. I sent them another email telling them that it's working again, but that I'd honestly like for them to take a look at it as I think there's something wrong with the controller. And that's funny, because I thought about buying hasu's controller to fix it as well! Haha Except I don't really have that much more money to throw at something I just paid a lot for. Thanks for all your help and suggestions!

Too bad it wasn't DOA, that's usually far simpler for the store to deal with. With things that develop later the manufacturer always has to try to fix the problem, and that will take time.

Yeah, I agree. The emailed me back and quoted a 1 week turnaround which is impressive. In reference to what I said to jerue above, I'm hoping they still take a look at it and maybe replace the controller board.

Offline casr

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 05:26:58 »
It turns out the solution for me was to "reconfigure" the keyboard. Navigating to System Preferences > Keyboard > Change Keyboard Type... and then through the wizard after you have set DIP switch 6 to on fixed it in my case.

Background

I had a similar issue after just receiving my HHKB. I guessed that plugging it in and then changing the DIP switches might have caused an issue with how the keyboard was recognised. I tried unplugging and plugging back in and then restarting the computer but that didn't work. My final thought was that the power preference was stored by OS X on first connection so that the OS knew whether to give the USB port power when the computer was in sleep mode. That's why the reconfigure worked and why I'm guessing you didn't have a problem when you plugged it into another computer.

Offline TopreFan333

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 16:08:21 »
I'm using a HHKB with a Mac as well, and every once in a while (every few weeks, maybe?) I'll find that it's not registering key presses. Unplugging/replugging it works, though. I also make sure to do the unplugging on the computer end of the cable to save wear on the HHKB's mini-USB connector.