Author Topic: IBM Model F 122-key terminal review (capacitive buckling springs)  (Read 5101 times)

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
There you go, a review of my Model F battleship ^^ . This one took a lot longer to make than the other videos so far; I hope you enjoy it :) .

Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
Re: IBM Model F 122-key terminal review (capacitive buckling springs)
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 14:41:50 »
Very good review. Also the sound comparison was good.

Really enjoyed it.

thanks.

(I love F)

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 14:51:27 »
Cheers mate, glad you liked it! :)

Offline SixtyLife

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 14:52:44 »
duuude that was one of the best keyboard reviews I've ever seen. loved the side by side sound and weight comparisons with the m as well as your diagrams explaining how the switches work. Model F ftw! thanks for the vid!
Kishsaver, JP SSK, Displaywriter SSK, 360C, HHKB Type S, X60, Jane v2, Jane v2 CE

Offline dante

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 14:55:13 »
Absolutely loved the video!  If you take requests for the future I'd like to see:

- Matias Quiet Linear switch review.  I've already tried these but I'd like to see your point of view.
- HP 3758 keyboard; it's a vintage rubberdome; but many regard it as extremely well made and is as close to Topre as possible.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 19:11:43 »
Thanks guys, it's stuff like that that makes it all worth it :) .

I don't have any Matias linears yet, last I checked they didn't sell loose ones yet (I don't have money for a whole keyboard). As for the HP, I'll keep my eyes open :) .

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 21:18:53 »
That was great. Thanks for doing it.

BTW, how did you get Benedict Cumberbatch to narrate it for you?

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 21:38:08 »
Excellent review!

I noticed you press space with the index finger - is that due to the broken space bar clips, or just a habit you have?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 21:53:05 »
Excellent review!

I noticed you press space with the index finger - is that due to the broken space bar clips, or just a habit you have?
Yeah this weirded me out.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 00:45:11 »
Very impressive voiceover!  I think that's what held me the whole time.  British accents just make everything better on the other side of the pond, lol.

I haven't heard the sound of a F in almost 30 years since I last used one in typing class back in high school, and I loved the comparison between the F M and alps.

I learned quite a bit about the capacitance model, and that part was VERY educational and well-done.

Overall, a very well done review.  Your voice is totally awesome.  I would seriously audition for commercial work, movies and the like.  I could easily see your voice being used on the radio or a documentary.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 05:20:51 »
Excellent review!

Just a habit, I'm a pretty **** typist xD .

That was great. Thanks for doing it.

BTW, how did you get Benedict Cumberbatch to narrate it for you?
HAHA LOL XD

Very impressive voiceover!  I think that's what held me the whole time.  British accents just make everything better on the other side of the pond, lol.
Haha cheers mate - and I'm not even British! XD

I haven't heard the sound of a F in almost 30 years since I last used one in typing class back in high school, and I loved the comparison between the F M and alps.

I learned quite a bit about the capacitance model, and that part was VERY educational and well-done.

Overall, a very well done review.  Your voice is totally awesome.  I would seriously audition for commercial work, movies and the like.  I could easily see your voice being used on the radio or a documentary.
Oh I'd love to do voice work. Bit busy with my PhD to go job hunting for it right now, but I wouldn't pass up the opportunity if it presented itself :) .

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 09:03:46 »

Oh I'd love to do voice work. Bit busy with my PhD to go job hunting for it right now, but I wouldn't pass up the opportunity if it presented itself :) .
Fooled me!  So you're either in one of the old British commonwealths or you just picked it up (I'd love to do this).  Still a solid accent.  I bet the ladies swoon.  And phd to boot.  Yep, they swoon.  Find one that swoons at the sight of your keyboard collection and that's a keeper. ;)

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 11:16:21 »

Fooled me!  So you're either in one of the old British commonwealths or you just picked it up (I'd love to do this).  Still a solid accent.  I bet the ladies swoon.  And phd to boot.  Yep, they swoon.  Find one that swoons at the sight of your keyboard collection and that's a keeper. ;)
Oh I live in the UK, I moved here for the PhD, but English isn't my first language at all. I've yet to find someone who swoons at the sight of my keyboards, though xD .

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 11:53:31 »
Oh I live in the UK, I moved here for the PhD, but English isn't my first language at all. I've yet to find someone who swoons at the sight of my keyboards, though xD .
Your command of the language is excellent--I would have never guessed.  I haven't found one that swoons either (and the search has stopped since I have a wonderful wife), but like these perfect keyboards, a perfect woman exists! 

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 12:43:45 »
Your command of the language is excellent--I would have never guessed.
Thank you ^^ .

Offline dante

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 13:43:01 »
I don't have any Matias linears yet, last I checked they didn't sell loose ones yet.

Yes they do!  http://www.keyboardco.com/product/matias-quiet-linear-key-switch-module.asp

Offline E3E

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 18:31:29 »

Oh, what is your first language, if you don't mind my asking, Chyros?

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 18:56:32 »

I'm Dutch :) .

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 21:44:48 »

I'm Dutch :) .
I don't know why, but that's just so badass to me.  :thumb:

Offline snarfarlarkus

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 18 October 2015, 22:27:48 »
Is the 122 the same feel as the XT? My AT doesn't feel as crisp and light as the XT...

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 03:35:38 »
I don't know, this is my first model F :) . If the feel degraded over time probably not though - this one is from '86 so it's so new that they were already making Model Ms for a year xD .

Offline faycheung

• Noob
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 04:16:01 »
Awesome review. Sums up pretty much everything I like about the F122.