Author Topic: What do you do for a living, and what do you hope to do next?  (Read 8995 times)

Offline ImpendingxDoom

• * Maker
  • MF the SuperVillain
What do you do for a living, and what do you hope to do next?
« on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 14:51:45 »
We all know some of each others keyboard related skills, but you may not know what we do everyday to pay for this crazy hobby. Feel free to share your profession, your school studies, your unemployed situation, and where you hope to take your career next.

Many of you know that I make plastic in my basement for ****s and giggles. But when I'm not wearing a respirator and sitting under a vapor hood, I am a stagehand! I went to school to do audio design, and ended up working on live shows in Chicago's stagehand Union. I never know what I am doing or where I am going until the night before, but you get used to not having a schedule eventually. The work is a very wide range of skilled labor; building audio systems, lighting and electrical, large scale carpentry, and rigging steel to name a few.

The scale changes very much as well. One day I am at united center loading in a household name in music with over 60 people, the next I could be teching an off Broadway production with 3 other guys. Sometimes it's 4am to dinner time, sometimes it's 12pm-12am. You just never know. The pay rate changes depending on the theater or event, but it all works out as long as you don't turn down a job. The physical work can be very taxing, but if I stay with the union long enough I'll hopefully be able to pick what jobs will work best for me and my skills.

This was the other week, loading in Madonna. Building a thrust part of the stage hours before the show. (5am-5pm load in, 11:30pm-5am load out. What a day)

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
Re: What do you do for a living, and what do you hope to do next?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 14:58:16 »
I do lines

of code.

Want to continue doing it, just in a better company where I actually feel like I'm considered.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline ImpendingxDoom

• * Maker
  • MF the SuperVillain
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 15:16:31 »
I do lines

of code.

Want to continue doing it, just in a better company where I actually feel like I'm considered.

Knowing that your employer doesn't care about you sucks hard. I've had a few of those jobs before.

Offline ManicMatt1125

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 15:25:22 »
I am IT support for a small non-profit healthcare company. There are 3 of us and we are the one stop shop for all of their tech related issues, from answering help desk calls, to traveling to the different sites to fix whatever is broken. It is extremely challenging and I love it ! I leave work with a sense of accomplishment

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 15:27:55 »
We all know some of each others keyboard related skills, but you may not know what we do everyday to pay for this crazy hobby. Feel free to share your profession, your school studies, your unemployed situation, and where you hope to take your career next.

Many of you know that I make plastic in my basement for ****s and giggles. But when I'm not wearing a respirator and sitting under a vapor hood, I am a stagehand! I went to school to do audio design, and ended up working on live shows in Chicago's stagehand Union. I never know what I am doing or where I am going until the night before, but you get used to not having a schedule eventually. The work is a very wide range of skilled labor; building audio systems, lighting and electrical, large scale carpentry, and rigging steel to name a few.

The scale changes very much as well. One day I am at united center loading in a household name in music with over 60 people, the next I could be teching an off Broadway production with 3 other guys. Sometimes it's 4am to dinner time, sometimes it's 12pm-12am. You just never know. The pay rate changes depending on the theater or event, but it all works out as long as you don't turn down a job. The physical work can be very taxing, but if I stay with the union long enough I'll hopefully be able to pick what jobs will work best for me and my skills.

Show Image

This was the other week, loading in Madonna. Building a thrust part of the stage hours before the show. (5am-5pm load in, 11:30pm-5am load out. What a day)
Good idea for a thread. I know some audio engineers, it's a demanding schedule for sure.

I spent 8 years as a CNC toolmaker and taking night classes, then about two years ago left the trade to come on staff part-time at my church as the facilities and tech coordinator. That basically means if it has to do with one of our buildings or any of the technology therein, I oversee it and the volunteers who maintain it.

I have no such thing as a normal day. I might be running new fiber for the network, developing a process for reporting broken equipment, recruiting volunteers for the snow removal team this winter, overseeing a group of developmentally disabled teens coming to work as part of the local high school's work study program, replacing a bad door closer, meeting with the volunteers who develop our church app, cleaning gutters, developing a new page on the website, shopping for a new server, or replacing a leaky power flusher in one of the toilets. My days fly by and its always interesting.

I mentioned it's part-time. I'm on the books for 30 hours a week. Realistically I work 35-40. But to supplement that income I work 10-20 freelance hours per week as a web developer. I don't design, but I can code anything. I do a lot of form & app development, API integration, and responsive email coding (barf). The busier the week is at church, the less freelance work I pick up.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline ManicMatt1125

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 15:27:59 »
I do lines

of code.

I am currently in school for CIS, (only 2 online classes a semester, I juggle a full time job and two kids) and am very interested in programming. How do you like it? I've heard it is pretty repetitive and can be boring but I am going to assume that is is largely based on the company

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 15:28:19 »
Jealous I wanna be good at audio design. Instead I watch dota 2 for a living

I wish i could do something audio engineer related.
« Last Edit: Sun, 11 October 2015, 15:31:09 by Sifo »
I love Elzy

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 15:30:43 »
I goez to school.
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline ImpendingxDoom

• * Maker
  • MF the SuperVillain
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 15:36:18 »
I spent 8 years as a CNC toolmaker and taking night classes, then about two years ago left the trade to come on staff part-time at my church as the facilities and tech coordinator.

I've found that the title "coordinator" comes with an ungodly amount of crazy **** to do lol

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 15:37:33 »
Instead I watch dota 2 for a living
boo ****ing hoo
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 15:38:48 »
I spent 8 years as a CNC toolmaker and taking night classes, then about two years ago left the trade to come on staff part-time at my church as the facilities and tech coordinator.

I've found that the title "coordinator" comes with an ungodly amount of crazy **** to do lol
Word. Our church has a lot of volunteers, so ideally, I'm never the one actually changing the flusher or mowing the green space. Ideally.

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline ImpendingxDoom

• * Maker
  • MF the SuperVillain
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 15:43:07 »
Jealous I wanna be good at audio design. Instead I watch dota 2 for a living

I wish i could do something audio engineer related.

Ha! Make your own Dota show! Make announcer/music packs! Host your own tournament! There are lots of ways to do audio work while spending all day watching Dota 2. Just hard to get paid for it :p

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 15:55:07 »
I've never had much idea where I'm going career wise so got a degree in Computing and Information Systems (a waste of time jack of all trades master of none degree looking back) and having failed to get any job in IT for 3 months after qualifying (pre recession) I gave up and became a temp in payroll which I could have done straight out of school and saved myself thousands in student loans.  I've now been there nearly 9 years and following a couple of promotions these days I mainly do support/development of spreadsheets to automate anything from checking payroll reports to producing employment contracts, and lots of reporting.  Everyone thinks I'm great but I'm dissatisfied because my work isn't perfect...

What's next?  Nothing until I put some effort in to re-qualifying, but after a dull day at work I can think of nothing worse than spending more time doing non-fun stuff.  I like doing to learn but am now too old and have too many living expenses to get an apprenticeship so pretty sure I'm officially stuck for life.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 16:00:40 »
I work as a union millwright.  Essentially it is a combination between industrial construction, and machine maintenance.  I have worked in facilities ranging from grain handling and processing facilities to nuclear power houses.  In my area, the vast majority of my work is in grain processing facilities such as Cargil, Quaker Oats, and ethanol manufacturing facilities.

My work usually consists of installing, removing, repairing equipment.  Mostly rotating equipment such as pumps and motors (though electricians do all that work), conveyors of many varieties like drag, screw, and belt conveyors.  Currently I am working at a Monsanto facility in Beaman, Iowa.  Couple weeks ago I had 104 hours on a 1 week check.  Granted 94 was actually working, and they paid me 10 hours for drive time.

My last job, I was an Aviation Structural Mechanic in the US Navy.

So yeah, since I started as a Millwright in the fall of '07, I have touched a keyboard twice at work.  Both times was because the boss couldn't navigate Outlook Express address book.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline ManicMatt1125

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 16:02:32 »
I've never had much idea where I'm going career wise so got a degree in Computing and Information Systems (a waste of time jack of all trades master of none degree looking back) and having failed to get any job in IT for 3 months after qualifying (pre recession) I gave up and became a temp in payroll which I could have done straight out of school and saved myself thousands in student loans.  I've now been there nearly 9 years and following a couple of promotions these days I mainly do support/development of spreadsheets to automate anything from checking payroll reports to producing employment contracts, and lots of reporting.  Everyone thinks I'm great but I'm dissatisfied because my work isn't perfect...

What's next?  Nothing until I put some effort in to re-qualifying, but after a dull day at work I can think of nothing worse than spending more time doing non-fun stuff.  I like doing to learn but am now too old and have too many living expenses to get an apprenticeship so pretty sure I'm officially stuck for life.

Interesting, so you believe the Computer Information Systems was a waste? Thats what I am currently enrolled in, although it is only my second semester. I am taking it to learn, obtaining the degree is secondary. Can you recommend a different degree /path?

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 17:02:57 »
I work in IT support and have a project of building a knowledge base for my organization; I've written most of its content so far (upwards of 300+ articles). Currently all knowledge is being reviewed and I plan to completely overhaul the KB.

I am glad I get to write whenever it's needed (or I feel like it), but lately I have been given a lot more duties (with zero increase in pay - I make the same as someone who does 1/5 of my work). Don't mind the duties if I am being compensated accordingly, but ideally I would just write technical documentation, or be a Knowledge Manager/Director.

Though, I am pretty young so I am really just sticking it out so I can get experience/certifications, and could work anywhere that's hiring writers in the future (even remotely)

Offline ManicMatt1125

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 17:09:17 »

I am glad I get to write whenever it's needed (or I feel like it), but lately I have been given a lot more duties (with zero increase in pay - I make the same as someone who does 1/5 of my work). Don't mind the duties if I am being compensated accordingly, but ideally I would just write technical documentation, or be a Knowledge Manager/Director.

Think of the experience you gain as an investment in your career. Sure you may not make as much as you feel you deserve based on what you do, but the next job you get you will have some killer items to put on your resume, and won't hesitate to ask for a higher starting salary

Offline tbc

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 17:09:58 »
I work in IT support and have a project of building a knowledge base for my organization; I've written most of its content so far (upwards of 300+ articles). Currently all knowledge is being reviewed and I plan to completely overhaul the KB.

Though, I am pretty young so I am really just sticking it out so I can get experience/certifications, and could work anywhere that's hiring writers in the future (even remotely)

not sure how well IT knowledge writing transfers to technical programming documentation, but it's by far the most valuable skill for programmers (seriously undermanned segment of the industry).  It is a huge door opener for team lead positions/freelance work.

sticking it out would probably be a smart move; making sure the work you do can be reused for a better position later on.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 17:29:30 »

Interesting, so you believe the Computer Information Systems was a waste? Thats what I am currently enrolled in, although it is only my second semester. I am taking it to learn, obtaining the degree is secondary. Can you recommend a different degree /path?

The course I took was a waste but as you may be in a different country, let alone university, I'm not going to say yours will be :)

The problem is that I learned the basics of networking topologies/design, databases, desktop/server hardware, Active Directory, game design, programming, web design, Office... but when it came to the world of work either employers want a specialist in one (or better two) of these areas or they want someone with enough experience to be trusted as a one-man IT department and I was neither. 

By the time I've gained enough work and life experience to be the latter everything I learned is obsolete - Server 2003 has been replaced twice, ADSL is old news with the world going fibre, they trashed Office so any advanced things are near impossible to find, wiring a LAN is pointless as desktops are being phased out because wifi is actually usable...

I can't recommend anything specific except that you should pick something specific.  Even if that just means picking appropriate modules within your current course, don't try and learn everything because it's interesting and expect it to help with getting a job.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline ManicMatt1125

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 17:34:06 »

The course I took was a waste but as you may be in a different country, let alone university, I'm not going to say yours will be :)

The problem is that I learned the basics of networking topologies/design, databases, desktop/server hardware, Active Directory, game design, programming, web design, Office... but when it came to the world of work either employers want a specialist in one (or better two) of these areas or they want someone with enough experience to be trusted as a one-man IT department and I was neither. 

By the time I've gained enough work and life experience to be the latter everything I learned is obsolete - Server 2003 has been replaced twice, ADSL is old news with the world going fibre, they trashed Office so any advanced things are near impossible to find, wiring a LAN is pointless as desktops are being phased out because wifi is actually usable...

I can't recommend anything specific except that you should pick something specific.  Even if that just means picking appropriate modules within your current course, don't try and learn everything because it's interesting and expect it to help with getting a job.

Understood. That is my plan. I am taking the basic courses and hope to figure out what I want to specialize in hopefully by my 3rd or 4th semester.

Offline joey

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 17:38:43 »
I work on an OpenCL compiler for a pretty popular mobile GPU. Had this job for 3 years now, got it right after I graduated.

I don't really know what's next, I like working on compilers and those jobs are quite rare. Maybe I'll move to Australia with my (Aus-born) gf in the next few years. Might have to re-think the compiler part and just get a "standard" software developer job.

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 17:44:04 »
Debugging code (of video games).

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 17:46:55 »
I'm an electrician at a steel mill.  Work mostly on overhead cranes.

I'm taking night classes for a computer science degree.  Thats the end game right now, the sooner that is complete the better.  It's really tough juggling work, family, and school.

Offline FreeCopy

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 18:19:53 »
I work in low voltage. Mainly data and phone networks. I start at the construction phase and work until the end. It is very rare that I ever have to touch any server or networking equipment.
On some occasions I work as an electrician, although I think the technical term based on my limited years of experience is electrician helper.

I've been doing this since 2001. I don't see myself doing anything else. I do plan on getting out of the field and into the office as a project manager, estimator, or designer/engineer.

Here's one of my more recent finished products:

Keyboards
More
Poker II | Leopold fc500r | Bolt Modded M 1391401 x2 08NOV90 - 19NOV90 | FK-2001 White Alps Clones | Filco MJ2 104Bolt Modded SSK 1391472 27JUL87 | Winkeyless B.87 TKL | MiniVan GateReds 62g

Offline ImpendingxDoom

• * Maker
  • MF the SuperVillain
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 18:31:43 »
Show Image

Show Image

Nothing makes me happier than good cable management.

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 18:34:52 »
I work in low voltage. Mainly data and phone networks. I start at the construction phase and work until the end. It is very rare that I ever have to touch any server or networking equipment.
On some occasions I work as an electrician, although I think the technical term based on my limited years of experience is electrician helper.

I've been doing this since 2001. I don't see myself doing anything else. I do plan on getting out of the field and into the office as a project manager, estimator, or designer/engineer.

Show Image

Show Image

The Snapchat cable management master!

Offline Wuzadi

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 18:51:58 »
The struggles is real...I do research and some other stuff for an outpatient clinic cardiology clinic. I'm currently going to school for Nursing though and plan on finishing that up in the next few years. Even though the job I have now is a temp job, it's still pretty rewarding....just now what I see myself doing. Eventually I'd like to work in palliative care especially in a large scale Oncology unit. I also have some sights doing volunteer work over seas possibly.
You met me at a very strange time in my life.

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 08:58:57 »

Show Image

Show Image

Very nice work!!! In my line of work I've seen many data centres, not many have such clean cabling. I'm always impressed when I see professional work like this. At the start of my career I've done also cabling alongside the technicians, loved doing it and even now I like to help. Clean cabling is essential but not so many do it, I feel sick when I see cable jungle  :eek:
I'm a UNIX/Linux Sysadmin, done this for the last 12 years and love it.
Semnătura lu’ pește prăjit ....

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 09:01:19 »
I'm currently a 'Security Analyst' for my company, but I'm really just a glorified Level 2 Help Desk. The next step I'm looking to make is to Sysadmin, and I'm hoping it's not that far off...

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 09:04:53 »
I don't do anything, have no idea what I want to do, basically I'm hopeless as of right now.

I want to get into some kind of coding, but I'm not sure where to start learning and what language to start learning.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 09:17:25 »
Manufacturing Engineer at the largest jet engine manufacturer. I help build test and prototype engines.

I think I'd like to go work in the test division next....or do something more creative based like freelance writer.

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 09:54:56 »

not sure how well IT knowledge writing transfers to technical programming documentation, but it's by far the most valuable skill for programmers (seriously undermanned segment of the industry).  It is a huge door opener for team lead positions/freelance work.

sticking it out would probably be a smart move; making sure the work you do can be reused for a better position later on.

It depends what sort of content you're writing. I can see how it wouldn't work, though really most day-to-day technical writing is editing and formatting someones work to make it somewhat understandable for whoever the audience is. I could also stem into Knowledge Management if my project goes well, this would actually mean not as much of an emphasis on writing though.

And thanks :)

Think of the experience you gain as an investment in your career. Sure you may not make as much as you feel you deserve based on what you do, but the next job you get you will have some killer items to put on your resume, and won't hesitate to ask for a higher starting salary

Thanks! Yea, this is the plan. I am shooting for a raise, I hope it goes through.

Manufacturing Engineer at the largest jet engine manufacturer. I help build test and prototype engines.

I think I'd like to go work in the test division next....or do something more creative based like freelance writer.

Yes! Freelance writing! Tough but rewarding...what would you write?
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 October 2015, 09:57:50 by jerue »

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 10:04:38 »
Current: Systems Engineer / Software Engineer

Future: Entrepreneur / CEO / Inventor / Designer / cool guy who makes nice stuff for people.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 10:22:26 »
Yes! Freelance writing! Tough but rewarding...what would you write?

I think I'd like to do more product reviews. It's pretty fun. Not sure what else.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 10:27:08 »
i'm a college student

the most "taxing" thing i do is probably keep my journal

it's about 600 pages long now
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 10:31:11 »
Attorney. My office is actually pretty mech-heavy. Out of 5 attorneys, 3 have mechs. I got my boss a QFR w/ blues and my coworker an M0116 w/ Salmon Alps. They are very happy with them :)

Offline jb1830

• @jonboulton
    • 1upkeyboards.com
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 18:10:00 »
Up until recently I produced a Firearms news show on youtube (https://www.youtube.com/theguncollective). Before that I did product review videos for a large automotive parts retailer. Currently looking to do more broadcast work and considering attempting a short mech keyboard documentary.

IBM Model M            Fjell 002           Klippe            KC60           Planck

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #37 on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 18:35:03 »
Attorney. My office is actually pretty mech-heavy. Out of 5 attorneys, 3 have mechs. I got my boss a QFR w/ blues and my coworker an M0116 w/ Salmon Alps. They are very happy with them :)
Remember when I asked you why you used to think trolling was a good idea and you gave me a long explanation? You could have just said you were a lawyer.

My boards:
More

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #38 on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 18:48:13 »
Remember when I asked you why you used to think trolling was a good idea and you gave me a long explanation? You could have just said you were a lawyer.

Plus I'm a hypocrite. I'm the first to jump on people when they stereotype lawyers and there I went being a prick for no reason.

In all fairness, most lawyers I know are of average or above-average morality/integrity. AFAIK lawyer jokes are longstanding but they got much worse in I believe the '80's when US Chamber of commerce funded a PR campaign to discredit the profession as a whole. They wanted to create a legislative climate receptive to pro-(big, corporate) defendant legislation (e.g. damage caps, restrictions on contingency fees, etc.).

That being said, most prosecutors are scum. I do civil litigation partly b/c I can't stand them.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #39 on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 18:52:05 »

Plus I'm a hypocrite. I'm the first to jump on people when they stereotype lawyers and there I went being a prick for no reason.

In all fairness, most lawyers I know are of average or above-average morality/integrity. AFAIK lawyer jokes are longstanding but they got much worse in I believe the '80's when US Chamber of commerce funded a PR campaign to discredit the profession as a whole. They wanted to create a legislative climate receptive to pro-(big, corporate) defendant legislation (e.g. damage caps, restrictions on contingency fees, etc.).

That being said, most prosecutors are scum. I do civil litigation partly b/c I can't stand them.
I was just taking the cheap shot. I love my lawyer. He has a client picnic every summer with cool giveaways for kids and stuff, and he's just a gregarious old guy making an honest living.

Society became extremely litigious around the '80s, so that probably has a lot to do with it as well. I'd love to read about that PR campaign you mentioned, if you have any references.

My boards:
More

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #40 on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 19:06:32 »
QA Lead for Microsoft. Not too fond of bugtesting, in fact you might say I hate it. But apparently I am good at it (or at least good at spreadsheets and filing wordy but useless reports) and it was the path that I was forced to take in the industry I love.

I want to be in production, but I have absolutely no clue how to move from my department to a department with more fulfilling work. Once you are put in a position the company sort of pigeonholes you into that role forever.

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #41 on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 19:32:49 »
Software engineer for a Fortune 100 company. I'm at the tail end of a 2 year graduate program, and I'm finding it to be very satisfying and even fun most days, even though other days can be a bit of a frustration.

Not only is my office mech-friendly, but when I asked my manager at the time how she'd feel about me buying a mech to replace my crusty Dell membrane (regarding the noise it would make), she not only approved it, but had the company pay for it as well.

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #42 on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 19:44:30 »
I work as a Principal Systems Administrator in Security Operations. It is both annoying and rewarding. I like the work I do, but the parent company that we all report up to is not security focused, and they often leave me feeling crippled by proceedure and 'paperwork'. I have to fill out 5 different time cards every week. And I'm salary, so it literally doesn't matter what I put on them, I'm getting the same check regardless. It is stupid.

In the future I'd like to stay in the same field, but work for a smaller company that has understands the value a good Ops Sec department can bring. Either that, or work as a consultant so that I don't have to answer to any corporate overloard (as much, anyway). Just do the work and move on to the next job.
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline VinnyCordeiro

« Reply #43 on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 20:04:35 »
I've worked 11 years as sound technician, operating audio mixing consoles. Meanwhile, I also made some freelance coding when in college.

Next month it'll be 9 years that I'm working for the Brazilian government at the Brazil Attorney Office (Ministério Público Federal in Portuguese). Good (but not great) pay, (now) boring work. Highest point in career was when a guy pointed a gun at me when running away from a robbery (I was working outside that day).

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #44 on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 20:16:57 »
I work for a large faith-based nonprofit.  My degrees were EE and CS, and I didn't use them for years while we were overseas missionaries with the same organization.  Now we live back in the U.S. and I develop ruggedized recording systems (both hardware and software) used to do language preservation and film translation projects around the world.  Then I go there and train indigenous people to use the system, so that there's local ownership and it's not a bunch of foreign white dudes in charge of these projects.  It's an amazing job and so very fulfilling.  But I do have to raise all the money for my salary and expenses, which isn't very fun sometimes.

I worked as a Infosec specialist before at a large investment company, and did some of that on the side when we were overseas.  I don't mind it, but I really love what I do now.  Not getting rich, and won't ever, and that's okay.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #45 on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 20:21:26 »
QA Lead for Microsoft. Not too fond of bugtesting, in fact you might say I hate it. But apparently I am good at it (or at least good at spreadsheets and filing wordy but useless reports) and it was the path that I was forced to take in the industry I love.

I want to be in production, but I have absolutely no clue how to move from my department to a department with more fulfilling work. Once you are put in a position the company sort of pigeonholes you into that role forever.

Are you in Redmond?  I visited there when I was first interviewing.  They had a really really nice campus there.  So is QA Lead the same as Engineer-in-Test.

Software engineer for a Fortune 100 company. I'm at the tail end of a 2 year graduate program, and I'm finding it to be very satisfying and even fun most days, even though other days can be a bit of a frustration.

Not only is my office mech-friendly, but when I asked my manager at the time how she'd feel about me buying a mech to replace my crusty Dell membrane (regarding the noise it would make), she not only approved it, but had the company pay for it as well.

Nice job getting the company dollas for your mech!  Which one?

I work as a Principal Systems Administrator in Security Operations. It is both annoying and rewarding. I like the work I do, but the parent company that we all report up to is not security focused, and they often leave me feeling crippled by proceedure and 'paperwork'. I have to fill out 5 different time cards every week. And I'm salary, so it literally doesn't matter what I put on them, I'm getting the same check regardless. It is stupid.

In the future I'd like to stay in the same field, but work for a smaller company that has understands the value a good Ops Sec department can bring. Either that, or work as a consultant so that I don't have to answer to any corporate overloard (as much, anyway). Just do the work and move on to the next job.

Yours is the only area of IT that I think is truly interesting and challenging.  Hope you can make that move to a smaller company someday.  :thumb:
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline ImpendingxDoom

• * Maker
  • MF the SuperVillain
« Reply #46 on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 22:03:49 »
I've worked 11 years as sound technician, operating audio mixing consoles. Meanwhile, I also made some freelance coding when in college.

Next month it'll be 9 years that I'm working for the Brazilian government at the Brazil Attorney Office (Ministério Público Federal in Portuguese). Good (but not great) pay, (now) boring work. Highest point in career was when a guy pointed a gun at me when running away from a robbery (I was working outside that day).

Wow, sounds interesting. Do you work in a studio, or do live mixing?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #47 on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 22:07:00 »
I work with crazy people.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #48 on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 22:16:43 »
I work with crazy people.
Self employed then?

My boards:
More

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #49 on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 22:19:21 »