Author Topic: Why not to do a removable switch top mod to your plate while attached to a PCB  (Read 2160 times)

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
I decided to stop moaning about the Reds in my Ducky and do something about them. 

Not bothered about doing all the keys so I thought why not do a removable switch top mod with the PCB attached?  There's plenty of room to not damage anything...

Maybe this was not such a great idea :'( Didn't feel it, and this was while being really careful as it was the first of 40+ I was planning on modding.  The damage to the PCB in the top left corner goes straight through a trace which connects left shift to right shift and nothing else - luckily I have the matrix mapped out from doing this a while back. 

So I gave up and hastily lubed and installed all the Clears I have, a couple of tactile greys for F and J, and a ghetto linear grey for the spacebar.

Lets hope I like clears :))
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
ive done this too two plates. regretted it both times. not that it was bad. it just took forever to get it perfect.

better spend your time working and buy another keyboard with a plate with holes for switch top removal

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
I feel like i rarely ever need a switch plate because I already know what my perfect switch is. And when it comes to repairing, most of the time you're better off just putting a new bottom half on there so desoldering and resoldering 1 switch aint so bad. As henz said I really don't think it's worth modding a stock plate
I love Elzy

Offline mrging

but if we remove all switch and pcb we can make it worth right? and to mod i have to cut about 1mm around four conner of square hole?

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
but if we remove all switch and pcb we can make it worth right? and to mod i have to cut about 1mm around four conner of square hole?

takes forever

first attempt

2nd