Author Topic: [IC] Custom Vim Themed/Optimized POK3R keycap set.  (Read 4030 times)

Offline Toggi3

[IC] Custom Vim Themed/Optimized POK3R keycap set.
« on: Sat, 17 October 2015, 00:31:57 »
Please fill out this form: http://goo.gl/forms/M6JiC9qGGT

I look at the POK3R and I see many unfortunate key placements.  Too bad, because I really like it.  Although it is programmable, it would bother me to have legends that don't match up to the functions I would map.  So, while daydreaming for how I would configure my POK3R, assuming the keys are fixed where they are, I came up with a layout.

I would like this layout to become reality, so I am here to check the interest of everyone here to see if that is even remotely possible.

I built it for my purposes, I use a mac, so it is themed and laid out that way, but if there is enough interest I would make sure to order Linux / Windows / Generic keycaps in an actual group buy effort.  Please provide any feedback you like. 

On another note, I also am working on a custom 60% style physical key layout that I will build myself that I think is even more optimal than this.  If anyone finds that really really fascinating and has built keyboards before, please reach out to me, I could use the help as it will be my first build.

Offline kebby

Re: [IC] Custom Vim Themed/Optimized POK3R keycap set.
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 08:21:21 »
I'm an Emacs user but as someone who loves his text editor and feels like vim users are much closer in mindset to me than the IDE crowd I must say this is cool. :)

Liking the color scheme. I'd consider not making it so Poker-centric and add mod packs for different operating system users to have a wider audience. I'm no expert but I'd imagine getting side-prints might also be difficult/make it more expensive.

Offline hitlu

• [LF] Ogres and Colonel
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 16:09:58 »
how about the height. SA i suggest
Colonel or Ogre

Offline braidn

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 22:10:39 »
Can we say no to SA? Just feel like there is so much of it floating around at the moment. Or maybe r3 SA? Anyway, I really dig this a lot but would it be possible to also support the Infinity layout?

Example layout: http://www.vrworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Infinity-Keyboard.jpg

Offline Toggi3

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 23:08:17 »
Ive made some adaptations to this set to make it less pok3r centric as i am going to be attempting to dry rub decal my own keys on blank keycaps and then sealing them with spray lacquer.  I will probably do it in dsa since i can actually obtain a white blank set of that reasonably priced.  I really do like the SA profile keys and i intended this to be SA, but i would love to do a group buy of this set in any keycap profile that people liked in enough quantity.

Offline skaloola

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 23:22:54 »
fyi, talked to Melissa at SP via email.  Apparantly therer were some 1x1 Vim SA caps leftover, they're up for sale now in the novelty section.  Unfortunately all they have is Row 3 right now, but I guess in Jan they will be stocking other rows and also in DSA

Offline Toggi3

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 23:45:11 »
For anyone interested this is the current work in progress of what i am going to try to make on my own.  Though once i get to it i might just have it printed by wasdkeyboard. 

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/a1c4b3f3aad8346b4e53

Offline atectatifern

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 20:59:43 »
Anyway, I really dig this a lot but would it be possible to also support the Infinity layout?
I second that.

Offline Toggi3

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 21:34:54 »
Anyway, I really dig this a lot but would it be possible to also support the Infinity layout?
I second that.
I definitely think that is reasonable to have an infinity modifier pack if we can get at least 50 people here who want this thing in any form.