Author Topic: Building a GH60, need some info/tips.  (Read 5569 times)

Offline Toggi3

Building a GH60, need some info/tips.
« on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 20:19:42 »
So this is my first keyboard build, ever.  I am not really new to soldering, but I am new to working with soldering switches on keyboards.

I am thinking to buy this board: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/LCC-C60-PCB-Red-Board-for-for-DIY-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard/32469685922.html?spm=2114.01020208.3.225.Q6hKa1&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_6_71_72_73_74_75,searchweb201527_4,searchweb201560_9

I like the above board because it appears to be populated with the necessary ICs and usb shield and dip switches, correct me please if I am wrong.  I don't want to do all that.  I just want to solder my cherry switches in and be happy.

I've bought a 60% plate and a case.  My question is, what kind of cherry switches do I buy?  plate mounted?  pcb mounted? pcb mounted with diode?

I have bought this case: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Wholesales-Mini-Keyboard-GH60-plastic-Case-for-60-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard-Compatible-Poker2-Pok3r-Faceu-60/32470836306.html (will probably buy/make a better, metal one later)

and I have bought this plate: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/60-aluminum-plate

I also have a general question about the GH60 programmability: I want to have two function keys.  I don't want a dedicated caps lock key.  I want function + right shift to act as caps lock.  Is there a problem in terms of programmability for doing any of that?  I haven't been able to find anyone who did either of those things, but I haven't looked too hard either.

This is my intended layout:  http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/a1c4b3f3aad8346b4e53

Please provide any tips/feedback, those who have already been here and done this.

Offline VinnyCordeiro

Re: Building a GH60, need some info/tips.
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 20:37:59 »
I've bought a 60% plate and a case.  My question is, what kind of cherry switches do I buy?  plate mounted?  pcb mounted? pcb mounted with diode?
The only difference between plate mounted and PCB mounted switches is that the latter have two plastic tabs that helps giving more mechanical stability to the switch. This PCB do have the holes for these tabs, so you can buy PCB mounted switches. But if you don't find them you can use the plate mounted version, because you already have a plate. So you can buy (almost) whatever switch you want, the exception being the PCB mounted with diode, which the PCB you linked don't support (these keys are rare, anyway).

I also have a general question about the GH60 programmability: I want to have two function keys.  I don't want a dedicated caps lock key.  I want function + right shift to act as caps lock.  Is there a problem in terms of programmability for doing any of that?  I haven't been able to find anyone who did either of those things, but I haven't looked too hard either.

This is my intended layout:  http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/a1c4b3f3aad8346b4e53
I'm not an expert on firmware modification, but if you are going to use the TMK keyboard firmware I strongly believe that it is possible to do that. You can follow the excellent tutorial matt3o wrote about TMK firmware customization here.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 21:27:32 »
Just an FYI the final revision of the GH60 hasn't been released so all the boards being sold and marketed as GH60's are clones/copies/modifications of previous revisions.

Offline Toggi3

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 12:52:41 »
I can live with that as long as the current firmware and functionality is sure to work.  Future versions be damned.

Offline Toggi3

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 12:54:02 »
Though, i might buy one when it is released

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 13:00:42 »
I can live with that as long as the current firmware and functionality is sure to work.  Future versions be damned.

Well this forum isn't for the 'satan' GH60 or any other derivative of the original GH60 being sold in china, so if you want help with those go elsewhere. Basically you are buying a variation of a beta product which is what I was trying to say before.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 04:10:26 »
I can live with that as long as the current firmware and functionality is sure to work.
I own a Satan GH60 and it works, the firmware is functional and it can be edited with custom layers but it doesn't support any macro (as far as I know at least). You should rather consider getting a Face.W 60% PCB which is far better in my experience.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline b3Rz3Rko

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 12:15:19 »
Just an FYI the final revision of the GH60 hasn't been released so all the boards being sold and marketed as GH60's are clones/copies/modifications of previous revisions.

I think not waiting for the final revision of the GH60 and getting a clone is justified at this point.

I saw the Satan GH60, haven't seen that one though love the red pcb, you can get plate or pcb mounted switches, that pcb has the holes for the pcb mounts, you might get extra rigidness from getting a pcb one since its latched to both the plate and pbc, I don't really know if it does add the extra rigidness but you get to use both.
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 October 2015, 12:16:52 by b3Rz3Rko »
Rosewill Helios RK-9200BU - Cherry MX Blues, Compaq MX 11800 Cherry MX Browns (Current Daily Driver) - Dell AT101w Black - Alps Black -Erdodox - Cherry MX Browns (Currently Selling) - Erogodox - Cherry MX Greens - Infinity Ergodox - Cherry MX Clear

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 12:16:42 »

I think not waiting for the final revision of the GH60 and getting a clone is justified at this point.

I saw the Satan GH60, haven't seen that one though love the red pcb, you can get plate or pcb mounted switches that pcb has the holes for the pcb mounts, you might get extra rigidness from getting a pcb one since its latched to both the plate and pbc, I don't really know if it does add the extra rigidness but you get to use both.

I don't have a problem with people getting them but I don't think they should come here looking for support for them.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 12:19:36 »
Why not? Are we meant to all slowly move over to GH60 and never use another keyboard again?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 12:27:03 »
Why not? Are we meant to all slowly move over to GH60 and never use another keyboard again?

The GH60 was designed here as a community project, yes it has been greatly delayed however people who choose to go and buy clones that may or may not work properly since they are based on either beta hardware and/or completely redesigned from the original GH60 design should know what they are getting and that the software/firmwares found through geekhack are for the original GH60's and may or may not be compatible.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 12:29:39 »
Right...? So what? If they know the type of PCB they have, great. If they don't, they'll be told here. Either way, why would we not help them?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 12:43:39 »
Right...? So what? If they know the type of PCB they have, great. If they don't, they'll be told here. Either way, why would we not help them?

Well there is a thread for the satan here -> https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=66624.0 so I guess people who need help with it can ask there.

The OP specifically stated so long as the firmware and functionality works on an unknown taobao PCB he would get it, the point I'm trying to make is unless it is an official GH60 we can't speak to what was changed or what firmwares will or won't work on it. I know there have been a few people who bought taobao GH60 clones that had problems, I'm just trying to let people know they are buying an unknown product.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 12:51:32 »
So when you said "if you want help with those go elsewhere", you really meant "oh, you should know that's not actually the genuine article GH60, it's a knock off product, but you are of course free to seek help here anyway"...?

Offline VinnyCordeiro

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 13:22:28 »
The GH60 is Open Source Hardware, as we can see on this photo of the prototype of the revision B (taken from komar's blog):

114544-0

That said, what the Chinese manufacturer made, from the strictly legal point of view, is perfectly fine. You may hold an opposite opinion, but in the moment that the hardware was made open, it is legal to fork it, make changes and even sell it.

I do agree that they do that just for profit, with no return to the community, like making the changes both to hardware and firmware available, but there's nothing anyone can do about that.

Offline Toggi3

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 23:39:31 »
So much debate over something so small.  Geekhack helps people with keyboards, it is a site of keyboard enthusiasts.  The satan gh60 is a keyboard.  I dont feel entitled to assistance with this product, but if someone is so willing it would be greatly appreciated.  I dont expect clones to be the same as gh60s.  When i say current firmware, i mean current firmware as it functions, at this time of writing.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 15:27:26 »
The point that's been kinda lost in the debate is that the board you are looking at is not an official GH60, and therefore no-one knows exactly what it is.  The Chinese have made many versions but they are not even all the same as each other...

I can see in the pic that it uses the ATMega32u4 controller chip so assuming it has a friendly bootloader it will be compatible with TMK once you've mapped out the switch matrix, meaning you can program any layout and layers you like.  But is it a friendly bootloader?

You are perfectly welcome to ask for help but at the end of the day it might work, it might not - no-one knows.  If you want a board that will definitely work you should look elsewhere, if you're willing to experiment in the hope of saving some money you'll have to buy one and see how it goes :)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 19:33:04 »
I think I got Spam's point on the fact that the OP mistakenly named the thread after the GH60, while what he posted is not a GH60, in such case the OP can open a different thread pointing that he is after a clone.

If the OP wants to experiment, I'd say go for it, and try to make it work, your finding may be very interesting for the community, as this clones normally carry low prices. Otherwise get a well known product like some others have already pointed.

I use GON exclusively, because his PCBs and programming software are reliable, and the difference in price is not much.