Author Topic: 40% layout concept: the squid40.  (Read 1858 times)

Offline r0yal

40% layout concept: the squid40.
« on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 13:40:59 »
http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/0f8c54f42b61805f0a3c

My aim with this was to create a semi-ergonomic, ultra-compact keyboard that still has all the functions you need accesible easily.
I don't have any soldering equipment, so if anyone would like to be my guinea pig and try to build one of these babies, I'd be really happy.
Layers are colour-coded as follows: Shift is green, Raise and Lower are red and blue respectively, and Fn is light blue.
I'm open to suggestions.
ISO-DE Model M "Granny Smith"

Offline Polymer

Re: 40% layout concept: the squid40.
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 22:15:13 »
Good ideas...here are my comments:

If you want IJKL to be the arrow keys, you want the key to change them to be on the LEFT side..so what you have as red (raise) I'd switch that layer to the blue  (arrow set) you have right now.  Let's you use your  left thumb to press the Red/Raise key and use the arrows with your right hand...

Assuming you'd use numbers more so than f-keys...I'm a bit back and forth whether that should be the FN or Blue/Lower key...but I think pressing to lock it makes sense...I don't see holding down the key to use the numbers as being very effective...but I don't see locking it be very good for the other keys either..but I'd guess I'd say !@#%^& are used less than numbers so maybe that is ok.

You'd want to make it so you can easily switch the space/backspace since most people learn to use the spacebar w/ the right hand if you type "properly" although with some of the alternative layouts, I believe you learn to hit it with your left....so both should be options...

Offline tofu28

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 22:59:52 »
I really like that thumb backspace.

Offline r0yal

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 00:32:38 »
Good ideas...here are my comments:

If you want IJKL to be the arrow keys, you want the key to change them to be on the LEFT side..so what you have as red (raise) I'd switch that layer to the blue  (arrow set) you have right now.  Let's you use your  left thumb to press the Red/Raise key and use the arrows with your right hand...

Assuming you'd use numbers more so than f-keys...I'm a bit back and forth whether that should be the FN or Blue/Lower key...but I think pressing to lock it makes sense...I don't see holding down the key to use the numbers as being very effective...but I don't see locking it be very good for the other keys either..but I'd guess I'd say !@#%^& are used less than numbers so maybe that is ok.

You'd want to make it so you can easily switch the space/backspace since most people learn to use the spacebar w/ the right hand if you type "properly" although with some of the alternative layouts, I believe you learn to hit it with your left....so both should be options...

Done.

Offline pokkuhlag

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 12:53:33 »
Nice layout. I am adjusting to my ortholinear layout. But I find myself mistyping the lowest alpha row a lot.
This layout would be a compromise, but easier to adjust from standard staggered layout. This build is more aimed towards ISO users who have 2.25 shift leftovers  ;).

Offline r0yal

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 15:37:21 »
Nice layout. I am adjusting to my ortholinear layout. But I find myself mistyping the lowest alpha row a lot.
This layout would be a compromise, but easier to adjust from standard staggered layout. This build is more aimed towards ISO users who have 2.25 shift leftovers  ;).

I picrured this using DSA blanks, so the leftover thing can be avoided.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 16:03:48 »

As soon as you use a split space keyboard you'll want every board to be split space.

Also regarding the board, if you're looking for compact you could get this board smaller. You're already going to change the way you type to use this board so why not shrink it more and use the fn layers more efficiently. The shortest I've taken my 40% and still been able to use it without impacting productivity is 11.5u but even then I could get it down to 11u playing with key spacing. Pay attention to the little things you do when you type and which keys you really use if you want to shrink the board more. If you have a programmable board try reprogramming it and leaving some keys as nothing to simulate layouts and keyboard sizes. Hope that helps/makes sense.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline r0yal

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 16:24:52 »
Regarding the board, if you're looking for compact you could get this board smaller. You're already going to change the way you type to use this board so why not shrink it more and use the fn layers more efficiently. The shortest I've taken my 40% and still been able to use it without impacting productivity is 11.5u but even then I could get it down to 11u playing with key spacing. Pay attention to the little things you do when you type and which keys you really use if you want to shrink the board more. If you have a programmable board try reprogramming it and leaving some keys as nothing to simulate layouts and keyboard sizes. Hope that helps/makes sense.

Problem is, I type hungarian which already requires 1 more key than this (our alphabet is 40 letters with combinations like cs (ch) and sz (s) included [keyboards obviously don't have these]) I could look into shrinking it to maybe a little bit longer than the JD40.

Offline Kad

• Δ E S T H E T I C S
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 17:00:07 »
The thumb backspace is a pretty neat idea, but at least for me it would require some getting used to because I hit the spacebar almost exclusively with my right thumb right about where the backspace is in your design. The only other issue I see is for typing passwords. Not giving too many hints, but my passwords often have numbers and symbols so switching between layers every time I wanted to input a password could become a bit cumbersome. Great design overall, and I'd be interested to see this make it to a final produced board for us to ooh and ahh at  :thumb:

Thanks for sharing!

[WASD v2 w/ MX Blues]

Offline tofu28

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 21:14:40 »

As soon as you use a split space keyboard you'll want every board to be split space.

Sounds great! I plan to have something similar on my Planck when the kit arrives.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 01:41:57 »
I like the concept, but I have a few observations to make:

1. Your design is only 1u narrower in width and 1u shorter in the vertical than a 60%, when it's horizontal space that's more important for a compact board. It can be taken down to 12u width and still have all the important characters for English. For other European languages it may require , and . to be on a Fn layer, though. With your finger on the home rows, it's nice to have just one extra key on either side of each hand (Ctrl/Caps for left, Enter for right).
2. It's not balanced. F and J are the home keys, so the centre of the board should be right between G and H. This allows each thumb to hit the split keys better.
3. If you want to be able to type on it without a long adjustment period, make the stagger the same as a normal board. Otherwise it affects your typing skills on a normal board, too. This will make it instantly comfortable to type on and is worth the 0.25u increase in width.

I'd go for a base layout something more like this: http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/65ac4e37afb1a3bf1314

More immediately familiar, plenty of layer options which are easy to access, no weird pinkie stretch for Fn, symmetrical on home row, properly centred on centre of typing area, no stabilisers needed since max key size is 1.75u.

Or get a JD45: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62641.0
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 09:47:19 »
Problem is, I type hungarian which already requires 1 more key than this (our alphabet is 40 letters with combinations like cs (ch) and sz (s) included [keyboards obviously don't have these]) I could look into shrinking it to maybe a little bit longer than the JD40.

Wow, that layout is weird.... I'll play around with it and see what I can come up with.

The first thing that comes to mind is giving each accent it's own layer so you press the accent then the key you want to have said accent. Basically turn each accent into a modifier like shift. If I'm looking at the right layout it should remove 6 "needed" keys.

The thumb backspace is a pretty neat idea, but at least for me it would require some getting used to because I hit the spacebar almost exclusively with my right thumb right about where the backspace is in your design. The only other issue I see is for typing passwords. Not giving too many hints, but my passwords often have numbers and symbols so switching between layers every time I wanted to input a password could become a bit cumbersome. Great design overall, and I'd be interested to see this make it to a final produced board for us to ooh and ahh at  :thumb:

Thanks for sharing!

So move the backspace to the left thumb? The Fn layers don't lock unless you want them to so after a few days adjusting to the new layout/ layers you'll be fine. My passwords are all quite long and include letters, numbers, and symbols. Accessing the keys through Fns becomes muscle memory very quickly. You just need to organize the Fn layers efficiently so you don't confuse yourself.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 03:22:13 »
Wait till you see my 20% layout—it's twice as cool!  :?)
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg