Author Topic: Fixing IBM M Rubber Dome Space Bar  (Read 1916 times)

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
Fixing IBM M Rubber Dome Space Bar
« on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 07:18:41 »
So I just noticed one of my IBM M rubber dome (the non clicky M) has something wrong with the space bar stabilizer.  But I don't know how to pull the keys on these since it doesn't have keycaps like the clicky model M.

Anyone know how I can check the space bar stabilizer and/or pull and check other keys?  Thank you in advance!

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
Re: Fixing IBM M Rubber Dome Space Bar
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 09:21:58 »
Which Model M rubberdome do you have?

The keycaps are most likely to be 1 piece, and should come off just like a regular Model M.
They might be a bit more rigid, because of the design, but they should be removable.

The stabilizer bar on the keyboard is most likely the same as a regular Model M.  If that is the case, it may have slipped from the bottom, and the bar may have slipped from the clip, in which you just re-align it and put it back into place.

Be careful to not break the clips on the ends that hold the stabilizer on the ends of the spacebar itself.  If it is broken, you may need to repair or replace the spacebar.  I would recommend just ordering a new one from Unicomp.

You might want to get in touch with customer service for the rubberdome spacebar.  The bottom of the shaft is not hollow.  (Picture from ClickyKeyboards.com)

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 23:35:27 »
Thank you so much for the reply.

The keycaps are 1-piece, but they're really tough and I don't want to break anything.  I'll try a regular key and see if I can get it to come out.

I hope it's just a slipped stab as I've had that happen before and fixed it pretty easily.  I've also had the broken clips before and actually have 3 more space bars leftover from my Unicomp order since there was a minimum.

I'm not sure what you mean about customer service for rubberdome spacebar.  You mean unicomp customer service?  What do you mean by the bottom of the shaft not being hollow?  Like in the pic, not hollow?

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 10:27:35 »

The keycaps are 1-piece, but they're really tough and I don't want to break anything.  I'll try a regular key and see if I can get it to come out.

I hope it's just a slipped stab as I've had that happen before and fixed it pretty easily.  I've also had the broken clips before and actually have 3 more space bars leftover from my Unicomp order since there was a minimum.

I'm not sure what you mean about customer service for rubberdome spacebar.  You mean unicomp customer service?  What do you mean by the bottom of the shaft not being hollow?  Like in the pic, not hollow?

Maybe you were thinking of the barrel frame.  I was talking about the key itself.  On a BS keyboard, each key is hollow to allow the spring to sit inside the key.
On the rubberdome version, the key itself is not hollow, (that's why it looks different) so it can evenly push the rubberdome down to the membrane.

Offline CaplockJack

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 12:48:39 »
Pictures would really help to tell the problem.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 18:46:22 »

Maybe you were thinking of the barrel frame.  I was talking about the key itself.  On a BS keyboard, each key is hollow to allow the spring to sit inside the key.
On the rubberdome version, the key itself is not hollow, (that's why it looks different) so it can evenly push the rubberdome down to the membrane.

That makes perfect sense now.  Thank you!

Pictures would really help to tell the problem.
Not really, it's just a loose space bar--like one without stabs.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 10:03:11 »
I tried taking of one of the f-keys and esc the other day.  The amount of force I applied seemed much, much higher than the key removal for BS M (not keycap, key stem) and it still didn't come off. :(

The exact model number is:
71g4644
ID: 0514973
11-21-95

Any ideas?  If I can get a keycap off and then the spacebar off, I'm sure I can reattach the stab or put on a new spacebar.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 12:24:20 »
I finally found a solution to this--old credit card.  It has the perfect amount of force without being too much since it bends.  :cool:

Spacebar popped off, stablizer bar re-attached and all is good again.  :thumb: