Author Topic: Howdy! from Portland, OR  (Read 2330 times)

Offline thatsmrdoctortoyou

• Dingo babies
    • IG
Howdy! from Portland, OR
« on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 11:54:56 »
Hey all,
my name is Thatsmrdoctortoyou and I'm a keyboard addict. Since my girlfriend bought me a poker2 w/clears nearly a year ago now, I've been obsessed with the feels associated with mechanical switches and PBT plastic. My other board is an model m which I found locally from another enthusiast. The buckling Springs are extremely enjoyable! I often find myself switching boards weekly and can't ever seem to make a decision on which switch I like better. I work from home often answering 50+ emails per day, so my boards definitely get their usage.  Happy to be here, thanks for reading!

Offline rm-rf

Re: Howdy! from Portland, OR
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 11:58:15 »
welcome!
be sure to watch your wallet while here!
its easy to spend a fair amount on new keyboard feels.

• Dingo babies
    • IG
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 12:37:43 »
welcome!
be sure to watch your wallet while here!
its easy to spend a fair amount on new keyboard feels.
You're telling me! I think the next board I would like to add is an Alps board. I have a Matias tester and have to say the quiet click switches feel amazing! My poor wallet  :'(

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 16:22:26 »
Thanks for keeping the dream of the 90's alive!

And welcome to GH :)
Quote from: Binge
crumping is like twerking but it's all about getting low with force.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 23:23:12 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

A nice couple of keyboards you have started out with :)

Maybe next up you could try something with linear switches - if you like stiffer switches maybe try MX blacks ...
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 02:38:24 »
Welcome!

There seem to be a lot of fellow keyboard enthusiasts in your area. Do you know about the monthly meetups? It gets more traction on reddit but I think MaNiFex runs these, may want to send him a message if you're interested :) , meetups are a great way to try some interesting boards and put some faces to the names here, I've only gone to one so far and had a great time even though I was a bit sick lol

• Dingo babies
    • IG
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 12:33:32 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Maybe next up you could try something with linear switches - if you like stiffer switches maybe try MX blacks ...

Its funny you mention that! Before my first board (mx clears) I tried a bunch of switches and had a tough time deciding between mx greens, clears and blacks. At this point I'm leaning more toward the Matias quiet click, or other Alps variant, for my next board.

• Dingo babies
    • IG
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 20:20:05 »
Welcome!

There seem to be a lot of fellow keyboard enthusiasts in your area. Do you know about the monthly meetups? It gets more traction on reddit but I think MaNiFex runs these, may want to send him a message if you're interested :) , meetups are a great way to try some interesting boards and put some faces to the names here, I've only gone to one so far and had a great time even though I was a bit sick lol

Hey there! You know I was invited to a meetup the other month after purchasing my model m from a geekhack user but unfortunately I was unable to make it. I'll definitely send MaNiFex a message about the next meetup. Thanks for the info!

Offline fknraiden

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 20:24:05 »
Welcome!

Hey there! You know I was invited to a meetup the other month after purchasing my model m from a geekhack user but unfortunately I was unable to make it. I'll definitely send MaNiFex a message about the next meetup. Thanks for the info!

How do you like that model m?
That was meee

IBM SSK 87'     ReAlForce 55g Silent 10AE

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 20:33:09 »
Wellcome to GH brotha

• Dingo babies
    • IG
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 11:30:03 »
Welcome!

How do you like that model m?
That was meee

Hey there! Oh the buckling springs great! I tend to flip back and forth between using my poker2 w/clears and the Model M as they both have their perks. I can see why there is such a gravitation to SSKs, having buckling springs on a smaller board. Looks like you found one BTW, how has it been treating you?

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 13:06:10 »
Welcome to geekhack!
My poker with clears was my first compact board and I still hold it close to my heart

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 13:08:47 »
Welcome! One of my favorite record labels (ZamZam Sounds) is from Portland!

If you like your Model M, do yourself a favor, find and restore a Model F. If you like clicky, you won't regret it.

Enjoy your stay! :thumb:
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

• Dingo babies
    • IG
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 13:21:15 »
Welcome! One of my favorite record labels (ZamZam Sounds) is from Portland!

If you like your Model M, do yourself a favor, find and restore a Model F. If you like clicky, you won't regret it.

Enjoy your stay! :thumb:

Model F huh? I'll have to look into that then because I definitely enjoy the buckling springs. I type WAAAAY slower on them versus typing on my mx clears, however. Thanks for the welcome message!

• Dingo babies
    • IG
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 13:23:29 »
Welcome to geekhack!
My poker with clears was my first compact board and I still hold it close to my heart

As you should! Although the lack of arrows can be frustrating at times, mainly for my girlfriend when she tries to use it :)), the space that is freed up on my desk when using the poker is wonderful!

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 14:04:58 »
Welcome to geekhack!

As you should! Although the lack of arrows can be frustrating at times, mainly for my girlfriend when she tries to use it :)), the space that is freed up on my desk when using the poker is wonderful!

"dammit woman use the function layers"

Offline heroinbob

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 22:11:53 »
Welcome to the forum.

I used to live in Portland - had some great times at Kennedy School
The old houses are incredible, and lots of glass shops (used to be a lampworker).

Paul (HB)

• Dingo babies
    • IG
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 22:24:09 »
Welcome to the forum.

I used to live in Portland - had some great times at Kennedy School
The old houses are incredible, and lots of glass shops (used to be a lampworker).

Paul (HB)

Absolutely, the neighborhoods in Portland are amazing! McMenamins are great as well. We went to the Bagdad theater for the first time the other month to see Jurassic World, I had no idea how cool that theater is! Anyway, thanks for the welcome message!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 04:37:19 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Its funny you mention that! Before my first board (mx clears) I tried a bunch of switches and had a tough time deciding between mx greens, clears and blacks. At this point I'm leaning more toward the Matias quiet click, or other Alps variant, for my next board.

Mmmmmm greens, clears and blacks - my three favourite MX switches :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline heroinbob

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 20:29:34 »
Not keyboard related - documentary re: skate park under burnside bridge (Portland, OR)

Not a valid vimeo URL
Paul (HB)

Offline ripwallet

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 00:01:27 »
Welcome to Geek Hack! Buckling Spring is growing on me, all i have is a cheap little unicomp. Maybe in the future i'll look at getting a IBM model M or SSK. Glad you get full use out of your boards that's a **** ton of emails on a daily basis lol.

Offline fknraiden

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 00:03:45 »
mad rain today in PDX
streets flooding as well as the MAX[lightrail transit]

IBM SSK 87'     ReAlForce 55g Silent 10AE

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 01:06:52 »
Welcome to Geek Hack! Buckling Spring is growing on me, all i have is a cheap little unicomp. Maybe in the future i'll look at getting a IBM model M or SSK. Glad you get full use out of your boards that's a **** ton of emails on a daily basis lol.

Then you'll be wanting to try a Model F ;)

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 02:54:10 »
wlcm2gh
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.