Author Topic: Hello from far and away!  (Read 2587 times)

Offline Bartlebum

• Addict.
Hello from far and away!
« on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 05:05:49 »
First things first: Yes, I am a LOT more active on reddit than I have been here, and have seen the huge influx of posts here because of the new stipulations with Bro's. With that, I'd like to say that my motivation behind making this post has nothing to do with Bro's minimum post count. What it has done is bring to light that there is animosity between the two communities, which I feel shouldn't be there. We all share the same hobby! So this is a way to say, not all of us who came from reddit are bad apples!

With that out of the way, I have only recently (2-3 months) gotten into the keyboard community. I have an original Blackwidow that I bought when they first came out, but I never knew there was a community behind it. Then on reddit I saw a post of a 60% with calm depths and I was hooked (still searching for that keyset btw...). I bought a Pok3r, immediately after bought a Novatouch and just finished building a GON 60%, with a drop joined for the Realforce 87U. Safe to say, the addiction has its' hooks on me pretty hard.

I originally hail from Brazil, although I lived in the US since I was 18, and now currently live in the Middle East (Abu Dhabi, to be precise). Glad to be here!

Razer | HHKB | Pok3r | GON

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Hello from far and away!
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 05:13:55 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

There will probably always be some animosity - it wouldn't be the internet if there wasn't :))

A nice keyboard collection you've started.  Have you got a favourite keyboard out of that list?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Bartlebum

• Addict.
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 05:16:21 »
Honestly, I still use them all :))

The GON has MX clears that are lubed, stickered, with 62g springs and feels AMAZING, but the pok3r with browns is super light and great for really knocking out high WPM. The Novatouch is for work and possibly my least favorite. The keys feel AMAZING but they feel almost heavy, like the action for the cap to go back up is delayed. I compare it to like, running in sand. It just feels slower and requiring of more effort, but the Realforce I got has the variable weights so maybe I'll enjoy that Topre goodness better!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 04:57:29 »

The GON has MX clears that are lubed, stickered, with 62g springs and feels AMAZING, but the pok3r with browns is super light and great for really knocking out high WPM. The Novatouch is for work and possibly my least favorite. The keys feel AMAZING but they feel almost heavy, like the action for the cap to go back up is delayed. I compare it to like, running in sand. It just feels slower and requiring of more effort, but the Realforce I got has the variable weights so maybe I'll enjoy that Topre goodness better!

Interesting comment about the Novatouch.

It has 45g domes, maybe the keycaps are too heavy for it.

You could try a set of PMK ABS keycaps - they are thin and light, but very robust.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Bartlebum

• Addict.
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 04:14:31 »

Interesting comment about the Novatouch.

So I tried putting on the Tai-Hao and it just wasn't great. I swapped it to the purple / black bro set and it's SO much better. I like it a lot, but still not close to the feel of the HHKB I just got.

It has 45g domes, maybe the keycaps are too heavy for it.

You could try a set of PMK ABS keycaps - they are thin and light, but very robust.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 02:49:11 »
welcome to gh
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 22:43:34 »
So I tried putting on the Tai-Hao and it just wasn't great. I swapped it to the purple / black bro set and it's SO much better. I like it a lot, but still not close to the feel of the HHKB I just got.

The Bro Set was PMK AFACR, which would be thin ABS.

HHKB feels different to many other keyboards because it is one of the very few case-mounted keyboards.

Offline Bartlebum

• Addict.
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 23:58:33 »

HHKB feels different to many other keyboards because it is one of the very few case-mounted keyboards.

Yeah I think the weight of the caps has a lot to do with it. My Nova feels so much better with the bro set, but I'm still super in love with my HHKB. Honeymoon period hasn't passed yet, I didn't even touch my GON this weekend and I just built it like 2 weeks ago!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 00:04:25 »

Yeah I think the weight of the caps has a lot to do with it. My Nova feels so much better with the bro set, but I'm still super in love with my HHKB. Honeymoon period hasn't passed yet, I didn't even touch my GON this weekend and I just built it like 2 weeks ago!

HHKB can have that effect on you :)

Offline Bartlebum

• Addict.
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 04:54:08 »

I just got my type-s....... Now I have a silenced one and a type-s. One is going to my friend that is currently driving his wife crazy with MX blues, and one I'm keeping. The type-s is a work of art, I love it so much.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 00:49:44 »

I just got my type-s....... Now I have a silenced one and a type-s. One is going to my friend that is currently driving his wife crazy with MX blues, and one I'm keeping. The type-s is a work of art, I love it so much.

Do you prefer the Type S over the other one?  If so, why?

Offline Bartlebum

• Addict.
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 08:51:04 »

I do, mostly because I know it hasn't been opened up and modded (and I don't have to worry about the quality of the work) since they feel quite similar. However, the space bar on the type-S is MUCH louder than the modded one. It clacks around. I did just replace it with a red PBT and it quieted it down some so maybe it was loose from the stabilizer?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 03:59:22 »

I do, mostly because I know it hasn't been opened up and modded (and I don't have to worry about the quality of the work) since they feel quite similar. However, the space bar on the type-S is MUCH louder than the modded one. It clacks around. I did just replace it with a red PBT and it quieted it down some so maybe it was loose from the stabilizer?

It might have been loose.

One rainy day, when you have nothing better to do, you could try putting the ABS one back on and make sure it is seated properly, then see if it still rattles.