Author Topic: Hello from Boston!  (Read 1292 times)

Offline b32147

Hello from Boston!
« on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 13:59:18 »
I've lurked on this site for a couple weeks now so I thought I would introduce myself. I've only just ascended to mechanical keyboard heaven and I am loving everything about it. My current keyboard is a NovaTouch with Hypersphere's silencing rings mod. Typing on this keyboard has changed my life. Good to meet you all!

Offline bcredbottle

Re: Hello from Boston!
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 08:56:40 »
Welcome! Sounds like a sweet board.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 05:16:10 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

It's amazing how long we can use any old keyboard for, until we discover mechanical keyboards.  Then there is no turning back.

Any plans to put some custom keycaps on it?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SploogeFactory

• Vitamin D deficient
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 05:59:19 »
Welcome!

Boston hey, I'll be in boston in about a week  ;)

This Boston probably has far more radioactive waste than the Boston you know now though.
Methylated Spirits, not even once.

Offline b32147

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 22:26:21 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

It's amazing how long we can use any old keyboard for, until we discover mechanical keyboards.  Then there is no turning back.

Any plans to put some custom keycaps on it?

Thanks for the welcome! I had purchased a K70 a year or so ago and somehow missed the thriving community that is mechanical keyboards while shopping around for that. I recently decided to replace it for no reason in particular and then kind of stumbled into all of this. These keyboards really are a whole new experience for typing. I am used to an Apple keyboard for work and since switching to my Nova I find work to be more enjoyable now since the feel and sound of the keyboard is sooo damn satisfying.

I have the DSA Quartz set on it right now and I love it despite the fact I'm always having to wash my hands before using it, haha.

Offline b32147

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 22:34:04 »
Welcome!

Boston hey, I'll be in boston in about a week  ;)

This Boston probably has far more radioactive waste than the Boston you know now though.

I think you and a great many others will be visiting! I'm scrambling to finish all of my current projects so I can dedicate some quality time come the 10th. I anticipate getting absolutely no work done for at least a week.

Offline ripwallet

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 23:59:45 »
LOVE my novatouch, i had to stop my self from buying a second one hahha. One never leaves my office but i want one with bad ass caps at the house. Maybe down the road! I've heard great things about those silencing rings very tempted to try them out.

Offline b32147

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 00:22:38 »
They completely changed the board for me. Before the silencers the keyboard was great, after the silencers the keyboard was absolutely perfect for me. It just has a much more quality feel and sound. They also make the keyboard overall much more quiet. My girlfriend appreciates the lack of clacking and actually admitted she likes the soft 'thunk' of the Nova.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 01:15:02 »
Thanks for the welcome! I had purchased a K70 a year or so ago and somehow missed the thriving community that is mechanical keyboards while shopping around for that. I recently decided to replace it for no reason in particular and then kind of stumbled into all of this. These keyboards really are a whole new experience for typing. I am used to an Apple keyboard for work and since switching to my Nova I find work to be more enjoyable now since the feel and sound of the keyboard is sooo damn satisfying.

I have the DSA Quartz set on it right now and I love it despite the fact I'm always having to wash my hands before using it, haha.

I almost found GH by accident while trying to find a modern mechanical keyboard similar to my old NEC keyboard.  I haven't looked back since :))

They completely changed the board for me. Before the silencers the keyboard was great, after the silencers the keyboard was absolutely perfect for me. It just has a much more quality feel and sound. They also make the keyboard overall much more quiet. My girlfriend appreciates the lack of clacking and actually admitted she likes the soft 'thunk' of the Nova.

Some don't like the reduced travel O-rings on Topre sliders have, but they certainly can make a huge difference to the sound and feel of a keyboard.

Something else you can try is putting a soft mat under the keyboard - that can also change the sound quite drastically.  I use a folded sheet of drawer liner under most of my keyboards.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 02:41:46 »
Wellcome to GH bro

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 02:54:17 »
welcome!
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.