Author Topic: An open letter to BroCaps  (Read 42877 times)

Offline rpeterclark

• RPTR ❌
Re: An open letter to BroCaps
« Reply #200 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 20:29:04 »

As reddit's ambassador I must step in, I simply must

This thread was one of the top threads this month: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/3pnnz6/new_brocap_came_in_today_i_hope_it_doesnt_rustle/

'fresh content'  ≠ posting a nearly identical image with a similar title. Not downvoted anymore either! My work here is done. For now

Is the ambassador of reddit kinda like the CEO of Bitcoin? :p

Are you sure it's really getting downvoted? The voting system is a weird system.

At the moment I posted, it was at 0 upvotes, but seems like my awareness has changed the tide!

ironic that an image of a Rustler literally rustled their jimmies. I guess we're in a time where posting an image of a K3 cap is likely to get more upvotes than an image of a Bro

/r/mk is good for content, but as soon as you scroll down to the comments section, it's not so great

It's irony at the very best...  ;D

I gave you my vote! :)

Thank you :D

Show Image

It's really not unusual for a new post (less than 2 hours for this one) to flutter around zero for a while. No cause for alarm or to call out the site as a hostile environment. It's getting its due up votes now that people are seeing it!

Offline Kazekumiho

« Reply #201 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 20:36:31 »
This thread just gave me an idea for an awesome key cap,

we have a rustler...

a warewolf...

what about a..................

More
Dear leader

[img] (Attachment Link)

GTFO  :'(

No

As a 1/2 North Korean, I would legit buy this keycap!

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #202 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 21:12:58 »
**** it, let's make it 500 posts.

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #203 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 21:16:22 »

I'm fine with 1000 even

It doesn't change the sentiment

Just changes how long the average person has to be an active member for before they can enter.

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #204 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 21:19:48 »
make it 5000

Offline btctopre

« Reply #205 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 21:20:15 »
gonna have to outsource my ****posting at this rate

Offline Butter

« Reply #206 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 21:33:22 »
I say make it 9000!!

Offline calvinhousecat

« Reply #207 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 21:35:57 »

I'm fine with 1000 even

It doesn't change the sentiment

Just changes how long the average person has to be an active member for before they can enter.

NotLikeThis.twitchtvemote

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #208 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 23:48:26 »
What's going on in here??? I've been gone since last Thurs-...

Linked is an open letter I wrote to BroCaps, sharing my thoughts on his recent decision. https://docs.google.com/document/d/10p4yXHPI2WdkPR_AS3azhhHG9p4UU3e1wB1staKOLMQ/edit?usp=sharing

Uhh...

I usually don't respond to these things, and I try to stay out of the drama... but man... these days, the self-entitlement and general attitude of some people really disgusts me...

I mean, I know many people have already expressed this but I just don't understand why ironpup didn't realize this... that the amount of effort he/she put into that open letter... he/she would have way over 100 posts... LOL! Unfortunately, ironpup only wants to express his/her frustration at being denied of immediate gratification. I mean look at the fact that he/she posted an angry rant and doesn't even bother to respond back to the responses he/she got... I mean, really??? This is a clear demonstration of his/her repulsive neediness and selfishness. The way I see it, he/she has no respect for this community or artisans/creators. Bro Caps is also a fellow hobbyist before anything else, just like all of us. He is only but one man who creates these amazing keycaps out of love and passion for the hobby, which he pours his all into. What's wrong with him wanting some form of standardized proof that the buyer has appreciation for his work and the keyboard hobby in general. Many people want these limited caps, and he wants it to go to people he knows cares. He can't go through every person's posts on Reddit, DT, GH or every other place. He, like everyone else, has his own life with limited time and energy.Therefore, he set GH as the standard because this is his hometown. What is so wrong with that? inb4 buttherearemorepplonreddit. LOL. If you're thinking that, you're missing the point. Really.

It's also really not exclusivity. He's not saying people on Reddit, DT, or anywhere else can't buy or participate. He just asks you to have a mere 100 posts on GH... you can do that in a day or two... What is so hard about expressing your passion for keyboards and keycaps in 100 posts. There are so many different threads about all kinds of things on this forum. Ask a question, share some opinions on something someone wrote, express your opinions on someone's photos, post a photo, post ANYTHING. HECK, express your dislike for something. ironpup literally could've started this thread with one sentence, expressing disdain for this new rule, and then just replied to every response he/she got in this thread... ironpup would have over 100 posts by now. See how easy it would've been? It's so bloody easy to hit 100 posts while being "constructive". 

I really could pick apart the entire open letter and point out how... "unthoughtful" it was, and how he acts like he talks on behalf of some legitimate authority... but I'll stop here because I'll only be repeating more of what others said... "So I, a relatively established member of this community..." LOLOLOL! *facepalm*

tl;dr - We're all here because of a shared passion, and all Bro asks of you is for you to show some of that in the form of a mere 100 posts. Is that too much to ask? I think not.

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #209 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 00:09:41 »
^Confirmed established member of the community!

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #210 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 00:58:31 »
It's just part of that "everybody gets a trophy" attitude that was probably passed on by his parents. There are no winners or losers. Kind of ridiculous. I'm new around here, but I get what @Brocaps is saying. I was lucky to get in on the unrustled cap. I don't have nearly enough posts yet to get in on the next one. But that's okay. I'm still a noob when it comes to mechanical keyboards, but I lurk and learn a little bit, here and there. So right now, my comments aren't much,  except for admiration of the work that is being done on GH. So far, it's a great supportive community.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #211 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 01:05:12 »

HUE~ What even is an "established member"?

Sounds cool though. Who bestows upon the title?! Where do I sign up for try outs?! I hope I make varsity... I shall forever dream to be established.

So right now, my comments aren't much...

That part ain't true, breh. Your comment means as much as anyone else's, if not more~ See, what's important is you went out of your way and gave effort to understand and had empathy, even if it meant an unfavorable situation for you. That's some awesome stuff, IMO.

Kudos to you <3

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #212 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 01:09:51 »

HUE~ What even is an "established member"?

Sounds cool though. Who bestows upon the title?! Where do I sign up for try outs?! I hope I make varsity... I shall forever dream to be established.

So right now, my comments aren't much...

That part ain't true, breh. Your comment means as much as anyone else's, if not more~ See, what's important is you went out of your way and gave effort to understand and had empathy, even if it meant an unfavorable situation for you. That's some awesome stuff, IMO.

Kudos to you <3

Thanks man. I wouldn't consider it unfavorable. It's just I don't feel entitled and believe that there should be more constructive contributions. Not just someone running over here to make an account just so they can qualify to buy a cap. Of course I'm 40 and our generation never had this sense of entitlement. Go figure.

Offline hudson0804

« Reply #213 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 04:03:23 »
Well i spent the rest of yesterday evening and this morning going through this thread again.

I have drawn conclusions and the most obvious one is this is defiantly a place i want to be.

There are so many of you who have responded and show a passion for what a great deal of people would say is a very odd hobby. 

I am glad i found you you may not be glad to know that I'm sticking around.

H

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #214 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 04:45:08 »
feel free to vote
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=59295.0

I wanted to vote for the 1000 posts and 6 months membership but it wasn't on there. :P ;)

Why not just require at least one Bro already? :))
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline UTEster750

« Reply #215 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 04:51:55 »
Well i spent the rest of yesterday evening and this morning going through this thread again.

I have drawn conclusions and the most obvious one is this is defiantly a place i want to be.

There are so many of you who have responded and show a passion for what a great deal of people would say is a very odd hobby. 

H

It's one of those places, I discovered r/mk through random reddit browsing, then eventually found geekhack and once I got used to here it feel so much more warm and has more of a community feel and I think that is why lots of people stick around.

Offline Kirfloof

« Reply #216 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 05:33:37 »
Used to see a lot of similar stuff in my MMO days, 'everyone should have everything with the minimal of effort' and then nothing is special anymore.

Behaving 'reasonably' seems to be becoming rarer and rarer, everything's all us vs them and extreme viewpoints.

Offline Aengus

« Reply #217 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 06:36:32 »

H

It's one of those places, I discovered r/mk through random reddit browsing, then eventually found geekhack and once I got used to here it feel so much more warm and has more of a community feel and I think that is why lots of people stick around.

That's how I wound up here too.

Offline Porkins

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #218 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 08:06:19 »

H

Me as well, I browsed r/MK for a couple weeks, but kept noticing that the admin would outright attack people who had differing opinions than him. This type of behavior just bolsters my opinion of geekhack and why I now come almost solely here for my keyboard needs.
Custom KC60

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #219 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 08:18:03 »
What's going on in here??? I've been gone since last Thurs-...

Show Image

Linked is an open letter I wrote to BroCaps, sharing my thoughts on his recent decision. https://docs.google.com/document/d/10p4yXHPI2WdkPR_AS3azhhHG9p4UU3e1wB1staKOLMQ/edit?usp=sharing

Show Image
Uhh...

I usually don't respond to these things, and I try to stay out of the drama... but man... these days, the self-entitlement and general attitude of some people really disgusts me...

I mean, I know many people have already expressed this but I just don't understand why ironpup didn't realize this... that the amount of effort he/she put into that open letter... he/she would have way over 100 posts... LOL! Unfortunately, ironpup only wants to express his/her frustration at being denied of immediate gratification. I mean look at the fact that he/she posted an angry rant and doesn't even bother to respond back to the responses he/she got... I mean, really??? This is a clear demonstration of his/her repulsive neediness and selfishness. The way I see it, he/she has no respect for this community or artisans/creators. Bro Caps is also a fellow hobbyist before anything else, just like all of us. He is only but one man who creates these amazing keycaps out of love and passion for the hobby, which he pours his all into. What's wrong with him wanting some form of standardized proof that the buyer has appreciation for his work and the keyboard hobby in general. Many people want these limited caps, and he wants it to go to people he knows cares. He can't go through every person's posts on Reddit, DT, GH or every other place. He, like everyone else, has his own life with limited time and energy.Therefore, he set GH as the standard because this is his hometown. What is so wrong with that? inb4 buttherearemorepplonreddit. LOL. If you're thinking that, you're missing the point. Really.

It's also really not exclusivity. He's not saying people on Reddit, DT, or anywhere else can't buy or participate. He just asks you to have a mere 100 posts on GH... you can do that in a day or two... What is so hard about expressing your passion for keyboards and keycaps in 100 posts. There are so many different threads about all kinds of things on this forum. Ask a question, share some opinions on something someone wrote, express your opinions on someone's photos, post a photo, post ANYTHING. HECK, express your dislike for something. ironpup literally could've started this thread with one sentence, expressing disdain for this new rule, and then just replied to every response he/she got in this thread... ironpup would have over 100 posts by now. See how easy it would've been? It's so bloody easy to hit 100 posts while being "constructive". 

I really could pick apart the entire open letter and point out how... "unthoughtful" it was, and how he acts like he talks on behalf of some legitimate authority... but I'll stop here because I'll only be repeating more of what others said... "So I, a relatively established member of this community..." LOLOLOL! *facepalm*

tl;dr - We're all here because of a shared passion, and all Bro asks of you is for you to show some of that in the form of a mere 100 posts. Is that too much to ask? I think not.
TLDR
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #220 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 08:21:23 »
TLDR

ApocalypseMaow,

YOU WILL READ EVERY WORD THAT VesperSAINT WROTE IN THAT POST!!! It's so rare nowadays that he expresses himself verbally, as it is usually GIFs. Why miss the rare chance to read his thoughts in written form?!

:P
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Dernubenfrieken

« Reply #221 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 08:26:52 »

H

Me as well, I browsed r/MK for a couple weeks, but kept noticing that the admin would outright attack people who had differing opinions than him. This type of behavior just bolsters my opinion of geekhack and why I now come almost solely here for my keyboard needs.

I browse both, but ripster really is kind of a sad man. He reminds me of the 25 year old who hangs out with high schoolers because they think he's cool. I think he does a good job moderating and maintaining a decent sub, but he really does just try to start up **** and rally people around /mk/ instead of the community as a whole.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #222 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 08:32:13 »
ripster really is kind of a sad man. He reminds me of the 25 year old who hangs out with high schoolers because they think he's cool.

Pretty much sums it up, doesn't it?
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #223 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 08:35:14 »
I think is time for the OP to say something or just locked the thread.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #224 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 08:40:52 »

Well, he did say "open" letter. Why lock the thread now? I think there is some interesting discussion happening here now. Sure, initial reactions were maybe a bit heated, but I think that was to be expected when someone spoke out negatively against a member of our community.

in memoriam

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #225 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 08:45:01 »

Well, he did say "open" letter. Why lock the thread now? I think there is some interesting discussion happening here now. Sure, initial reactions were maybe a bit heated, but I think that was to be expected when someone spoke out negatively against a member of our community.

Open letter is not exactly the same as to open the Pandora's box.

In a second thought, I'd say that it is time for the OP to say something in his favor, as for example, that he feels as part of our community, as well.

Offline Aengus

« Reply #226 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 10:37:32 »
feel free to vote

I wanted to vote for the 1000 posts and 6 months membership but it wasn't on there. :P ;)

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #227 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 10:43:56 »
feel free to vote

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #228 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 10:46:58 »
TLDR

ApocalypseMaow,

YOU WILL READ EVERY WORD THAT VesperSAINT WROTE IN THAT POST!!! It's so rare nowadays that he expresses himself verbally, as it is usually GIFs. Why miss the rare chance to read his thoughts in written form?!

:P
I missed his GIFs though!

As for established member, @Vesper https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=76404.0;topicseen

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #229 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 11:47:23 »

But his is a member of the community as well, and he was getting called god awful names. The retaliation against him for having an opinion he has the right to have was unbelievable, and far too harsh, period. I'm sorry, but calling someone "retarded" is never okay, regardless of my very personal reasons for not being ok with it, it still is going way too far over a difference in opinion, and I was rather disappointed nobody stood up for him from a human perspective. Attack the opinion sure, but attacking the individual on a personal level is really not cool.

When you say our community in that context, it really does make it seem (or even verify) there is some very different levels of acceptance here.
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #230 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 11:50:17 »

But his is a member of the community as well, and he was getting called god awful names. The retaliation against him for having an opinion he has the right to have was unbelievable, and far too harsh, period. I'm sorry, but calling someone "retarded" is never okay, regardless of my very personal reasons for not being ok with it, it still is going way too far over a difference in opinion, and I was rather disappointed nobody stood up for him from a human perspective. Attack the opinion sure, but attacking the individual on a personal level is really not cool.

When you say our community in that context, it really does make it seem (or even verify) there is some very different levels of acceptance here.

Having the right to an opinion is meaningless if that opinion is worthless.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #231 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 11:55:27 »

So you are saying GH is only welcoming if you accent the popular ways of thinking around here as well?

His opinion was not worthless, regardless how much you disagree with it.

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #232 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 11:56:55 »
omg drama on gh what a shock
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #233 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 11:59:18 »

Congrats on perpetuating what livingspeedbump was trying to say.

What a ****ing ****ty thing to say.
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 October 2015, 12:01:01 by dgneo »

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #234 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 11:59:23 »

So you are saying GH is only welcoming if you accent the popular ways of thinking around here as well?

How was it not worthless?
His letter was full of misinformation, lies and hyperbole. It was based on poor information and made leaps of logic that didn't make any sense. On top of that, in the 5 pages since his post (what what like 24hrs?) he has failed to contribute anymore context to his post in order to help validate his opinion.

His post has no worthwhile content and his opinion (in this matter) has no value.

Congrats on perpetuating what livingspeedbump was trying to say.

What a ****ing ****ty thing to say.

Do I also need to point out that we are not all born equal... or would that be too much?

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #235 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 12:06:29 »

How was it not worthless?
His letter was full of misinformation, lies and hyperbole. It was based on poor information and made leaps of logic that didn't make any sense. On top of that, in the 5 pages since his post (what what like 24hrs?) he has failed to contribute anymore context to his post in order to help validate his opinion.

His post, has no worthwhile content, his opinion has no value.

Honestly, after the first few pages, I really don't blame him at all for now replying after how awful people were. I probably wouldn't either.

And as I mentioned earlier, there were a few valid points. You had had to read it objectively enough to see/understand them. Obviously most people here went into reading it already hating it from the start without giving any real objective thought to it. Much the way reddit has acted, just in the opposite direction.

End of the day, the real issue for me in this thread (even the whole situation) is not Bro's decision at all. I mean...that is 110% his call to make, and it wasn't even a big deal at all! My problem here is how people treated other people over such a small detail. Being SO defensive about makes it just as blown out of proportion as reddit's extremely unnecessary anger.

Offline billnye

• ability man
« Reply #236 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 12:07:56 »
lol

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #237 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 12:12:43 »
omg drama on gh what a shock

TL;DR of OP's letter:

Reaction to the letter:

Me right now:

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #238 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 12:16:29 »
Honestly, after the first few pages, I really don't blame him at all for now replying after how awful people were. I probably wouldn't either.

And as I mentioned earlier, there were a few valid points. You had had to read it objectively enough to see/understand them. Obviously most people here went into reading it already hating it from the start without giving any real objective thought to it. Much the way reddit has acted, just in the opposite direction.

End of the day, the real issue for me in this thread (even the whole situation) is not Bro's decision at all. I mean...that is 110% his call to make, and it wasn't even a big deal at all! My problem here is how people treated other people over such a small detail. Being SO defensive about makes it just as blown out of proportion as reddit's extremely unnecessary anger.

Ok so let's break it down, at least the opening part of his valid opinion. He hasn't replied because he had no intention to create a dialogue or try and make a fair and reasonable point;

I would like to start off with asking you why? While you have in the past advocated for an equal distribution of your caps, giving away and trying to sell as many as you could to make sure no one keyboard went Bro-less, over the past few days you have made considerable steps in the opposite direction, making your caps even more exclusive and alienating a considerable amount of our small community.

How, other than introducing a new sale type (to try and make sure more people got in) and a post cap that has yet to affect any sale or give-away has bro done anything to make his caps more exclusive and alienate anyone?

So I, a relatively established member of this community, ask you: why the change?

Established? How sweet.
And then he kicks off the rest of his post with this brilliant line;

Your hypocrisy has become obvious and abundant, and is not only affecting the integrity of your brand, but also impacting the well being of this community.

What possible value can this person's opinion have?
He highlights and makes it abundantly clear that he is bias and has no interest in being reasonable, logical or using facts to back up his wildly inaccurate opening points. If I was to post my opinions on a medical forum about the uses of certain chemicals in the use of cancer treatment and opened my post in that tone I would get similar treatment, if not banned from the forum, because my opinion on that subject has no value, I'd be pushing lies and the tone is intentionally confrontational.

His opinion has no value, his opinion is worthless.

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #239 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 12:18:56 »
Yikes... this is a scary, scary thread.

The fact that people are willing to heap this amount of hate and bile on someone they don't know is... well a bit crazy. It shouldn't surprise me after this long, but wow, this is what we want this "community" to stand for?

There are a number of people who tried to actually engage in a real discussion, and that's great, but then there's the rest of the people who just want to get their hateful little zinger in.

Congrats, you've helped make us look terrible!  :thumb:

Edit: I would sum up my whole point by saying: why do people feel the need to attack the person rather than the content continually?

Cause there was plenty to attack in the content...
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 October 2015, 12:32:23 by jbondeson »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #240 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 12:23:49 »

Actually, my use of the term "community" refers to Geekhack, specifically. While he seems to indicate that he is an established member of the "community" as a whole, including reddit, DT, etc. Although obviously, he is highly biased toward reddit. I have always considered other forums as separate communities within a larger enthusiast niche. There is some crossover, but they are separate for a reason.

It would seem Bro Caps, by his recent changes, considers Geekhack to be his "home" community. And he wants people who buy his caps to be a part of it, by participating and posting here.

in memoriam

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #241 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 12:39:56 »
More

Actually, my use of the term "community" refers to Geekhack, specifically. While he seems to indicate that he is an established member of the "community" as a whole, including reddit, DT, etc. Although obviously, he is highly biased toward reddit. I have always considered other forums as separate communities within a larger enthusiast niche. There is some crossover, but they are separate for a reason.

It would seem Bro Caps, by his recent changes, considers Geekhack to be his "home" community. And he wants people who buy his caps to be a part of it, by participating and posting here.

I'm with jdcarpe on this one. I may venture over to r/mk on occasion and go check out DT for some things but for me geekhack is definitely home and what I consider to be the community I'm a part of.

This doesn't mean the other places are inherently bad or not worthy or anything else, they just aren't the places I spend time at.

Offline rpeterclark

• RPTR ❌
« Reply #242 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 12:46:30 »
Are people here really defending the way this guy was treated?

You can disagree with people without belittling them or trying to make them feel worthless.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #243 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 12:53:37 »

You can disagree with people without belittling them or trying to make them feel worthless.

I'm trying to figure out what has everyone so upset. There were a couple posts on the first page where a couple of members asked OP if he was mentally ill, or dumb or retarded. Those are the only patently offensive posts I found.

baldgye said his opinion doesn't matter, but I tend to disagree. Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but we don't have to agree. Facts are another matter.

in memoriam

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #244 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 12:55:32 »

Most people are not defending bashing of the person, but bashing of the letter and its content.  Sometimes the two difficult to separate, especially since the letter is one of the most entitled things I have ever read.

Some of the most egregious comments:

You advocate for transparency, yet you have made /r/brocaps private, and have shown no interest in discussing your decisions openly with a huge part of the community that widely supports you.

Your recent actions have led me to believe that your focus has shifted from the good of the community to one of personal gain.

Perhaps you do not fully understand that leading is not about those who follow you working for you, but instead you working for, and helping your followers.

I am writing this letter because I fear that if you continue making the decision you have been making will not only hurt yourself, and your art, but the community itself.

And don't forget the ultimate irony of the letter given that Bro said he is doing things the way he is to make more time for his family:

I only wish the best for you, your family, your company, and this community,

Everything in OP's letter just reeks of entitlement.  Of course people are going to react negatively against him and the letter.

And, honestly, the content of this thread is nothing compared to hate I have seen spewed on Reddit.

Offline CaplockJack

« Reply #245 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 13:10:20 »
I feel entitled to get one now.

Offline GSimon

« Reply #246 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 13:25:11 »
I feel entitled to get one now.

Right? I think I've earned it. 2 of them actually, I deserve 2 caps

Offline ripwallet

« Reply #247 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 13:26:39 »

I have no gripes with either side. I think its comical because both communities claim the other is toxic cancer. Its unneeded drama over lets be realistic a couple pieces of plastic. It really does perplex me that there can be so much damn drama between a bunch of people buying/selling/collecting keyboards.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #248 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 13:32:06 »
More

I'm with jdcarpe on this one. I may venture over to r/mk on occasion and go check out DT for some things but for me geekhack is definitely home and what I consider to be the community I'm a part of.

This doesn't mean the other places are inherently bad or not worthy or anything else, they just aren't the places I spend time at.
Yeah makes perfect sense. Good clarification jd. I also agree in that context they are all connected yet strikingly different.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #249 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 13:51:32 »
calling someone 'retarded' is awful and pretty wack but

i'd put it differently but i agree with your sentiment. if you write an open letter that makes you sound like you deserve something that exists just because you have the means to pay for it, regardless of literally everything else in the entire world, your opinion is pretty... uh, questionable.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace