Author Topic: Options by IBM Enhanced 101-Keyboard Box  (Read 1482 times)

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
Options by IBM Enhanced 101-Keyboard Box
« on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 21:34:52 »
So tonight my brother and I were moving our old 'computer boxes' closet and ran across the original box to the Options by IBM Model M for our Cyrix p166 build in the late 1990s.  I thought you guys would enjoy reading the back as much as I did.  Enjoy.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Options by IBM Enhanced 101-Keyboard Box
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 04:49:43 »
"You can rest assured that it is built to last."

They definitely got that right!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Keypurrfect

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 08:40:58 »
Have you called the Tech Center?

"Hello, I am calling from the future".

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 08:43:45 »
Ha that's awesome. I want to call that help line just to see what would happens. Do you still have the keyboard too SamirD?

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 11:25:14 »
I'll have to scan the manual and post it here when I finally get to it--we plan to digitize all the documentation we have including a complete owners manual for a future domain isa scsi controller.  :eek:  Once I do that, you guys have the number for the Tech Center!

Yep, still have the keyboard and it's still attached to the Cyrix p166 we bought it for.  The motherboard battery has gone bad, but I plan to call supermicro to have them fix the motherboard because aside from that, the system still boots and runs like a champ!  I was surprised at how fast that thing is considering it's almost 25 years old now.  Of course the full dual channel scsi and seagate cheetah drives and mylex dac960-sui raid 5 controller probably help a bit.  ;D
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 October 2015, 11:28:17 by SamirD »

Offline Keypurrfect

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 15:48:29 »
Woot!

I'll give a call using a Back To The Future phone!

Offline Bucake

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 16:12:45 »
so innocent : P i love it!
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 18:36:31 »
I keep re-reading it and finding stuff I just love--like the mention about improving productivity and positive feedback.  It's also interesting that they mention the short-lived Aptiva line of PCs.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 27 December 2015, 16:29:30 »
Looks like this keyboard was a twin of mine.  I actually found the ps2 to AT adapter in our box, so I've still got that too:
http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index.cfm/fa/items.main/parentcat/9231/subcatid/0/id/115247