Author Topic: Hello fellow clackers or silent typers  (Read 2135 times)

Offline W_hinklebottom

Hello fellow clackers or silent typers
« on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 10:38:02 »
Hello, I started on Mechanical keyboards 7 months ago and it has been a steep climb from my first (Corsair K90) to my current (HHKB Type-S with 55g domes) lots of buying and selling it has been a lot of fun and very expensive. My favorite part of the hobby so far is opening up keyboards checking out the guts and modifying a keyboard to suit my prefrences.

I have learned a lot from just lurking on posts about modification and I am hoping to get more involved in posting and discussions. 

Currently I am a stay at home father in the Middle of Michigan. So I have some free time during the days (yeah naps)for fiddling with keyboards. The wife doesn't get it but is happy it is a pretty tame hobby.

Anyway, just wanted to say Hi

My current setup

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Hello fellow clackers or silent typers
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 05:19:11 »
Welcome to Geekhack1

Did you put the 55g domes in the HHKB yourself?  And if so, was it after using the HHKB as 45g and finding it too light?

I hope your desk doesn't have the keycaps all over it all the time :p
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline oxchamballs

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 11:47:33 »
Those are keykollectiv mods, right? They look realllyy good :), I so regret missing out on the sale back then.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 14:00:27 »
:O

So many KeyKollectiv caps! That is so awesome.

Welcome to geekhack!!  :)

Offline ripwallet

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 18:40:02 »
So many topre caps :o, i'm jealous. I had a HHKB but sold it after a month, i just could not get used to that layout, much prefer my current RF 87U 55g.

Offline W_hinklebottom

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 22:27:08 »
Welcome to Geekhack1

Did you put the 55g domes in the HHKB yourself?  And if so, was it after using the HHKB as 45g and finding it too light?

I found the 45g way to light I felt that just my fingers dragging over the keys was enough to activate unwanted keystrokes. I did the modifications on my own leaning hard on Livingspeedbump's guide.

Lol I have a organizer my keys live in I was having an existential crisis on which to put on my board at the time.

Thanks for the hello friend.

Offline W_hinklebottom

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 22:28:26 »
Those are keykollectiv mods, right? They look realllyy good :), I so regret missing out on the sale back then.

Yes they are! I am so glad I jumped on them especially since he mentioned they won't do them again. Too much hassle.

Offline W_hinklebottom

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 22:31:51 »
So many topre caps :o, i'm jealous. I had a HHKB but sold it after a month, i just could not get used to that layout, much prefer my current RF 87U 55g.

I am so the opposite of that. I bought a RF 87ub 55 to swap domes. I tried it out for a while and I can't go back to TKL anymore

"You mean I have to lift my hand up and move it? eff that"

My HHKB was starved for color for so long that when KeyKollectiv came along I haven't missed a sale!

Offline W_hinklebottom

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 22:33:23 »
:O

So many KeyKollectiv caps! That is so awesome.

Welcome to geekhack!!  :)

Thanks! Gotta keep a HHKB looking good.

Offline W_hinklebottom

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 22:34:41 »
Now with more KeyKollectiv!!!!!!!!!  :p

SnacKeys

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 01:04:14 »
Welcome to Geekhack1

I found the 45g way to light I felt that just my fingers dragging over the keys was enough to activate unwanted keystrokes. I did the modifications on my own leaning hard on Livingspeedbump's guide.

Lol I have a organizer my keys live in I was having an existential crisis on which to put on my board at the time.

I find MX reds too light, but 45g Topre is comfortable.  I'd probably prefer 55g Topre, but I can't bear to sacrifice a RealForce to upgrade my HHKB :))
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline W_hinklebottom

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 13:39:02 »
Welcome to Geekhack1

I find MX reds too light, but 45g Topre is comfortable.  I'd probably prefer 55g Topre, but I can't bear to sacrifice a RealForce to upgrade my HHKB :))

10g sounds like a big jump, but, it didn't seem like that much of a jump. It definitely feels nice and snappy though.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 02:46:52 »
nice keyboard buddy!
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline W_hinklebottom

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 11:17:25 »

Offline beehatch

• baehatch
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 00:24:32 »
best thing about you is your avatar, forget that pesky keyboard

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 23:21:17 »
Welcome to Geekhack1

10g sounds like a big jump, but, it didn't seem like that much of a jump. It definitely feels nice and snappy though.

10g can be a huge jump!

Which is why you can get springs with all sorts of weights and make your own custom switches.