Author Topic: New(ish)  (Read 2070 times)

Offline shinigamiyuk

New(ish)
« on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 21:38:31 »
Hello fellow keyboard lovers. My name is Shinigamiyuk. I live in the US and have been a lurker for a little while. I mostly just read classifieds, check group guys, and see what interesting key caps people are putting on their boards. Other than spending most of my money on keyboards, keycaps, and deciding whether to pull the trigger on a b.87 I like to play Magic, Hearthstone, and the occasional Batman release. I read a lot of comics, watch too many movies, and I am sucker for the Oxford comma.

Offline bcredbottle

Re: New(ish)
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 10:25:01 »
I'm not sure how I feel about the oxford comma but it's cool to see people who pay close attention to language. I just picked up Garner's A Dictionary of Modern American Usage and ****in love it.

Anyway, welcome!

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 10:44:39 »
What format do you play in Magic? I have a friend who's really competitive and when I told him how much I spent on keyboards he scoffed.

Welcome :P
Quote from: Binge
crumping is like twerking but it's all about getting low with force.

Offline shinigamiyuk

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 14:08:42 »
What format do you play in Magic? I have a friend who's really competitive and when I told him how much I spent on keyboards he scoffed.

Welcome :P

I currently play standard which is at the highest cost it has been at in the last few years. My current deck cost about $400 which is one of the cheapest competitive decks in standard right now. Pretty crazy as I could buy a custom Korean board for that cost :)

Offline shinigamiyuk

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 14:11:25 »
I'm not sure how I feel about the oxford comma but it's cool to see people who pay close attention to language. I just picked up Garner's A Dictionary of Modern American Usage and ****in love it.

Anyway, welcome!

I feel like the oxford comma is dying. I usually seek all grammatical advice from my wife who has much better grammar than I. I am sure you are reading about a lot of things we say or type incorectly? Like ending a sentence in at or saying something like off of?

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 14:41:44 »

Anyway, welcome!

I feel like the oxford comma is dying. I usually seek all grammatical advice from my wife who has much better grammar than I. I am sure you are reading about a lot of things we say or type incorectly? Like ending a sentence in at or saying something like off of?

Generally don't end with a preposition but sometimes it actually flows better to break the rule. There are descriptivists (people who think "proper" grammar is just the aggregate of people's grammatical habits) and prescriptivists (people who think there are set grammar rules that need to be obeyed). I'm a functional prescriptivist. I think we should follow those rules that result in maximum clarity, and discard the ones that don't serve a purpose.

If this sounds boring, you should read David Foster Wallace's "Authority and American Usage.".

Offline ripwallet

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 18:35:24 »
I feel you on the b.87 i am very tempted to buy one myself >.<, welcome :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 01:56:56 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Assuming it's the same sort of Magic, there is a thread about that.

I'll use an Oxford comma occasionally, if the sentence reads as if it warrants it.  But I only speak the language, I don't necessarily understand why certain syntactic constructs make sense.  Some just sound wrong.  And some seem right, even though they look wrong.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline shinigamiyuk

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 13:43:51 »
I feel you on the b.87 i am very tempted to buy one myself >.<, welcome :)

I will be pulling the trigger on one very soon.

Offline shinigamiyuk

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 13:47:48 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Assuming it's the same sort of Magic, there is a thread about that.

I'll use an Oxford comma occasionally, if the sentence reads as if it warrants it.  But I only speak the language, I don't necessarily understand why certain syntactic constructs make sense.  Some just sound wrong.  And some seem right, even though they look wrong.

Thanks for having me. Yep, same Magic. Actually, I am in the process of selling all my cards of now. Gotta get the b.87.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 02:46:58 »
hey
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline shinigamiyuk

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 08:51:27 »