Author Topic: [Done] Get Some Random Stuff For Sharing Your Random Interests/Hobbies  (Read 7519 times)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Keep sharing if you want but the giveaway is over will send out PM's later! Thanks to the few of you who participated.

I'm slowly going through my keyboard stuff I've had in storage and I'd like to pass some of it on.

Share with us some of your other interest/hobbies and your name will be entered into a random drawing for prizes. (Some prizes listed in second post.)

Feel free to make a note with what prize you would like if you win and/or if you'd like to be surprised.

My only qualifications are keep it clean, be nice and your account has to be at least a week old.

Please keep it PG13, if your other hobbies are not appropriate for family friendly viewing make your own thread.

I'd greatly appreciate it if winners could pay for shipping but I'll address that on a case by case basis.

*Credit goes to baldgye for the idea.
More
Why not have a contest asking people to post there other interests and hobbies, and then randomly pick names out of a hat of those who contributed?
It might help make some members hook up via another shared interest they never knew they had... Like F1, I had no idea Katty liked F1 until I made that thread...
« Last Edit: Fri, 30 October 2015, 07:00:58 by SpAmRaY »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: *Giveaway* Get some Random Stuff for Sharing your Random Interests/Hobbies
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 10:11:46 »
Sorry for the poor quality pics.  :-X

http://imgur.com/a/xDrMU

lasered cherry PBT that were originally given to me by @riotonthebay

Below is a flocked buckling springs spacebar in black made by @krogenar sold at techkeys.us (I think I was going to give this to @snoopy so he still wants it he can PM me and he can have it.)

Next is a 67g zelio with an iron mask made by @martinyeah

And then we have a wooden keypuller with wooden keycap crafted by @nubbinator

Following is a cable made by non other than @pexon

Then we have an elephant cap made by @zoolzoo

Some random stickers

Custom painted gask mask cap painted by the multi-talented @binge

wasdson labor day goof cap from @binge

« Last Edit: Wed, 28 October 2015, 11:24:50 by SpAmRaY »

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 10:16:36 »
Ha awesome!
I wish I could partake but I've kinda leaked all my other interests on the forum already; MGS, F1, electro (dance music) and bitterly; Starcraft...

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 10:27:48 »
My other interests would be Nendoroids

And war hammer 40k tau for life :p I also enjoy sewing it's very relaxing mainly just fixing things up though although I would like to learn how to knit just to make a sweet scarf to wear ^~^

For the sweet looking checker pattern gaskmask :p thank you for the giveaway as well Ray you the best not mod
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 10:33:55 »
Great idea and great giveaway, Ray.

I tend to go waaaay overboard on one or two 4 or 5 interests at a time.  At some point I will see that I've spent way too much time and money on an interest, and put it on the back burner for a while.  Then probably get back into it later.

Current interests:  keyboards (MX mainly), photography, carbon fiber, coffee, DIY shaving

Back burner:  backpacking, ultralight gear, bluegrass/newgrass music, knife collecting, rock climbing, scifi movies, PC watercooling/overclocking,
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline lolpes

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 10:44:35 »
Awesome giveaway :D I have a preference for the zealio + iron mask or the keypuller + keycap either one are great :D

As I said one of my interests is cooking, and I like to make diner for me and for my brothers(not everyday tough, my sister likes to cook too), it is very relaxing :)

Current interests: cooking, running, FPS games that are not CS, Football(Soccer)(playing, not watching)
Past interests: Reading, mma fighting(will go to back current as soon as I start my job), climbing(certified), Cannyoning(certified), FPS games that are not CS
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 October 2015, 11:44:01 by lolpes »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 10:50:13 »
Nice idea, Ray!

One of my other hobbies is amateur radio, aka "ham" radio.

My amateur radio call sign is N5JDC. I recently upgraded my license to Amateur Extra, the highest class of license available.

I received my amateur radio license when I was a senior in high school, in the spring of 1992, as a Technician class licensee. The FCC had recently dropped the Morse code test for the new entry level Technician class license, so my friend and I both studied, took the exam, and passed. We both received 1x3 call sign assignments, his was N5ZXE, and mine was N5ZWF. I received a Kenwood TM-732A mobile dual band radio as a graduation gift from my parents, and I was on the air, hitting local repeaters and rag chewing with people in the area.

In 2000, I was living in Monterey, California, and the FCC had recently lowered the Morse code requirement to 5wpm for all license classes. I studied the code until I could reliably copy it, and studied the theory for the General class license exam. I took the exams and passed, so I was upgraded to the General class license.

In 2010, I decided to apply for a vanity call sign with my initials. I saw that the same prefix and region code call sign as my then-current license was available with my initials, so I applied for N5JDC, and received the assignment.

And just this year I upgraded my license to Amateur Extra. I only recently got an HF rig set up finally, so I can start making some DX QSOs.

Current equipment:

Yaesu FT-450AT - HF station, with Ultimax 100 End-Fed Wire Antenna

Kenwood TM-733A - dual band mobile, mounted as a base station with a dual band J-pole antenna on my roof.

Juentai JT-6188 Mini - dual band mobile

Baofeng UV-5R - dual band handheld

TYT TH-F8 - VHF handheld

Wouxun KG-UVD1P - dual band handheld

KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 11:25:56 »
Thanks for the replies so far.

I didn't specifically mention this in the OP but the point of sharing out other interest is that we might just find fellow enthusiast here with those same interests as well.

Also added short blurbs to the photos.

And I realize none of this stuff is uber cool but its all from a variety of members and stuff that meant enough to be to keep this long but stuff I didn't really want to just sell, I'd rather pass it on!

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 11:31:23 »

Nice idea, Ray!

One of my other hobbies is amateur radio, aka "ham" radio.

My amateur radio call sign is N5JDC. I recently upgraded my license to Amateur Extra, the highest class of license available.

I received my amateur radio license when I was a senior in high school, in the spring of 1992, as a Technician class licensee. The FCC had recently dropped the Morse code test for the new entry level Technician class license, so my friend and I both studied, took the exam, and passed. We both received 1x3 call sign assignments, his was N5ZXE, and mine was N5ZWF. I received a Kenwood TM-732A mobile dual band radio as a graduation gift from my parents, and I was on the air, hitting local repeaters and rag chewing with people in the area.

In 2000, I was living in Monterey, California, and the FCC had recently lowered the Morse code requirement to 5wpm for all license classes. I studied the code until I could reliably copy it, and studied the theory for the General class license exam. I took the exams and passed, so I was upgraded to the General class license.

In 2010, I decided to apply for a vanity call sign with my initials. I saw that the same prefix and region code call sign as my then-current license was available with my initials, so I applied for N5JDC, and received the assignment.

And just this year I upgraded my license to Amateur Extra. I only recently got an HF rig set up finally, so I can start making some DX QSOs.

Current equipment:

Yaesu FT-450AT - HF station, with Ultimax 100 End-Fed Wire Antenna

Show Image

Kenwood TM-733A - dual band mobile, mounted as a base station with a dual band J-pole antenna on my roof.

Show Image

Juentai JT-6188 Mini - dual band mobile

Show Image

Baofeng UV-5R - dual band handheld

Show Image

TYT TH-F8 - VHF handheld

Show Image

Wouxun KG-UVD1P - dual band handheld

Show Image

Holy crap. Now I know who to look for when I want to make a phone call during the apocalypse.
I'm back.

Offline fknraiden

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 11:39:45 »
I'd love the keypuller or the dolch sticker.
My hobbies include: please Msg me if you want to nerd out.
Keyboards, who would have guessed.
Computers and gaming on them.
Lasers. Check out LPF
Chain maille. Eventually want to make a torso when money allows.
Tinkering with electronics. Love my soldering set up.
Replicas. Would like to get into more.
Marijuana enthusiast

IBM SSK 87'     ReAlForce 55g Silent 10AE

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 11:48:43 »
Holy crap. Now I know who to look for when I want to make a phone call during the apocalypse.

That's kinda why I got back into it, after a long absence. :)

When I first got my license, in 1992, it was pre-internet. So you can imagine the fun it was to chat with people in other locations via a linked VHF repeater system. Now, all you have to do is go on IRC or an internet forum, and you can chat in real time, or near real time, with people from all over the world. Everyone has a cell phone in their pocket with no long distance telephone costs, which was not the case in 1992. So ham radio has lost some of its shine. But the FCC says there are more licensees than ever now, so there are some people out there to contact. Dropping the Morse code requirement made the barrier to entry much lower.

And when all else fails, ham radio can still provide comms in emergencies. But that should really be secondary to using the airwaves to communicate for fun.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline skycrimes

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 12:10:50 »
So I love Halloween and I have no idea how I came across the figure below because I've never been interested in that stuff. In fact I used to think it was dumb but then I saw this Halloween Miku figure and something in me said "buy it" now I have that and another figure from some show I've never watched and I currently have 2 more figures on preorder (a zelda and god eater one).

In the background of the second picture are some swords. As a kid I always though weapons were cool and used to draw some. One day I was exploring my house and went into the very back part of a packed closet. I found 3 machetes (not sharpened). My dad got them while he served on the US Embassy in Central America. I decided to take them as mine and ever since then I have bought a sword native to any country I visit.

My last real hobby that I dedicate time and money to is skateboarding. 6th grade year I became really good friends with two kids (who ended up going to jail for drugs) but before that happened they introduced me to skating. Ever since then I've been in love. I have a bad habit of buying a new skateboard anytime I go into zumiez or a local shop. The pic doesn't include the ones I actively use downstairs and the many broken ones over the years.

I think the binge goof cap is cool but tbh I just wanted to show off my current hobbies :3

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 12:43:24 »
So I love Halloween and I have no idea how I came across the figure below because I've never been interested in that stuff. In fact I used to think it was dumb but then I saw this Halloween Miku figure and something in me said "buy it" now I have that and another figure from some show I've never watched and I currently have 2 more figures on preorder (a zelda and god eater one).

Show Image

Show Image

In the background of the second picture are some swords. As a kid I always though weapons were cool and used to draw some. One day I was exploring my house and went into the very back part of a packed closet. I found 3 machetes (not sharpened). My dad got them while he served on the US Embassy in Central America. I decided to take them as mine and ever since then I have bought a sword native to any country I visit.

My last real hobby that I dedicate time and money to is skateboarding. 6th grade year I became really good friends with two kids (who ended up going to jail for drugs) but before that happened they introduced me to skating. Ever since then I've been in love. I have a bad habit of buying a new skateboard anytime I go into zumiez or a local shop. The pic doesn't include the ones I actively use downstairs and the many broken ones over the years.

Show Image

I think the binge goof cap is cool but tbh I just wanted to show off my current hobbies :3
Heck year another nendoroid collector! I missed that miku last year and she's expensive now :c not missed a snow miku yet though, you might want to have a quick look at Snow miku 2014 as that the cutest ever next years will be up for order cole feb time

Wo class I don't really like kantai collection too much but that one looks nice :p
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
Re: *Giveaway* Get Some Random Stuff For Sharing Your Random Interests/Hobbies
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 13:45:56 »
What a great idea. Since working I've dropped a lot of hobbies, but music has got to be the one that's stuck with me all this time. I sing, play piano and violin, and am teaching myself guitar. I'm classically trained and my favorite composer is Chopin. Here he is with his buddy Beethoven:

But nowadays I play mostly jazz/blues but have been branching out to do more popular stuff (since that's what people usually request). I love singing Sam Cooke, Donnie Hathaway, Ray Charles, Otis Redding, that kind of stuff. Here's my mic, and one of my favorite things I own (until I get some more keyboard stuffs...):

Some other random hobbies include rock-climbing, card magic and card manipulation, gaming, and reading/writing (although I consider these two to be pretty essential rather than a hobby).  Also an aspiring antique collector, but that's a slow moving train  :))

I actually don't have a wire puller so that would be super useful...I heard they're better than the plastic ones I've been using, and I have a weird thing for wood. Alternatively...that Iron Mask made by Martin is freaking awesome.
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 October 2015, 13:57:01 by mobbo »
Quote from: Binge
crumping is like twerking but it's all about getting low with force.

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 14:53:40 »
What a great idea. Since working I've dropped a lot of hobbies, but music has got to be the one that's stuck with me all this time. I sing, play piano and violin, and am teaching myself guitar. I'm classically trained and my favorite composer is Chopin. Here he is with his buddy Beethoven:

Show Image

But nowadays I play mostly jazz/blues but have been branching out to do more popular stuff (since that's what people usually request). I love singing Sam Cooke, Donnie Hathaway, Ray Charles, Otis Redding, that kind of stuff. Here's my mic, and one of my favorite things I own (until I get some more keyboard stuffs...):

Show Image

Some other random hobbies include rock-climbing, card magic and card manipulation, gaming, and reading/writing (although I consider these two to be pretty essential rather than a hobby).  Also an aspiring antique collector, but that's a slow moving train  :))

I actually don't have a wire puller so that would be super useful...I heard they're better than the plastic ones I've been using, and I have a weird thing for wood. Alternatively...that Iron Mask made by Martin is freaking awesome.
You sound exactly like me lol, although I play some sports on the side  :p
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 14:55:55 »

Show Image

Show Image

Haha, I used to swim, play soccer, run track and play badminton in school but now all I do is run occasionally :S It's really hard to do more than that these days.

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • snoozing
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 15:04:31 »

Show Image

Show Image

Haha, I used to swim, play soccer, run track and play badminton in school but now all I do is run occasionally :S It's really hard to do more than that these days.
No freakin way, I used to play lots of Badminton when I was a kid. I have like a cabinet full of trophies...  :)) I also played soccer but I wasn´t really good at it  :-[

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 15:06:52 »
No freakin way, I used to play lots of Badminton when I was a kid. I have like a cabinet full of trophies...  :)) I also played soccer but I wasn´t really good at it  :-[

stop being me

pls

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • snoozing
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 15:08:18 »

stop being me

pls
same

Offline Kerpadge

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 15:29:09 »
About a year-and-a-half ago I started watching Wil Wheaton's Tabletop series on Geek and Sundry's Youtube channel. I slowly started getting into board games, then became obsessed with D&D after the premier of a live D&D game broadcasted through Geek and Sundry's Twitch channel called Critical Role. It's an eight player campaign between a bunch of voice actors, so the voices and role-playing is really great! I highly recommend anyone interested in tabletop games or role-playing games check it out (Thursdays at 7 p.m. PST). I've spent a few months convincing a number of friends to start a campaign. I talked a couple into accompanying me to GenCon (tabletop gaming convention) in July and they fell in love. We are finally starting a campaign on Saturday, and the best news is that another friend volunteered to DM (dungeon master which is essentially the storyteller) so I'll actually get to be a character. Getting more involved in this community and finally getting to start a D&D campaign has made this week very exciting.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 17:51:21 »
Keyboards, eating out, and retro game collecting pretty much encompass my hobbies. Retro game collecting has become really ridiculous with prices the past 2-3 years, so I can't get as many titles to play as I'd like. Any Nintendo system's become a nightmare to collect for, and I feel like a right twat for thinking I could swing my **** around the Neo Geo and TG-16 parts of town these days.

With keyboards I've really slowed down the past two years. Last board I bought I hated, and haven't made and serious purchases since then.

Going out to eat at nice restaurants is the only other hobby I actively take part in, and I only do that about two times a month.

I guess I don't really have any active hobbies, everything just doesn't interest me the way it used to. Everything is grey and boring these days.

Offline xredman

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 18:18:44 »
My other interests/hobbies would be photography, pocket knives, and raw denim.

I would like to win the usb cable by pexon :D.

Thanks for the doing this SpamRay.
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 October 2015, 18:20:40 by xredman »

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 19:11:44 »
Awesome giveaway!  This is a great idea to get the community more involved in things other than keyboards.

As for myself, I tend to jump around hobbies and get really into them, and drop them completely without a moments notice.  The following hobbies are the ones that I truly enjoy and have stuck with (other than keyboards and computers).  Hobbies are not in any particular order, just how they popped into my head. 

1:  Motocross.  I grew up riding friends bikes and teaching them how to ride.  My first ride was a 1984 yamaha tri-zinger when I was 6 (I still have a love of 3-wheelers).  I grew up in the middle of nowhere, so I could just pull out of the driveway and go ride some great trails.  When I got my first full size bike, a 1985 CR 500r, I started going to the track.  I also spent a lot of time in the local deserts. 

My current bike:  2002 RM 250.  I love 2-stokes.  I don't race, so I figure I might as well have as much fun as I can. 

2:  Golf.  I have been playing as long as I can remember.  When I was 3 or 4, my dad made me some cut down clubs and I just kept going from there.  I was never able to play much since we were most definitely a lower class family when I was younger, but now I manage to get out several times a year.  My youngest brother has the golf bug bad, so that has really helped my frequency of play. 

3. Cars.  I have loved cars my whole life.  No car I have owned has stayed stock for very long, I always get the urge to make them my own.  List of cars owned from first to current:  72 Karmann Ghia, 85 Merkur XR4Ti, 85 Celica Convertible, 92 Audi 100, 96 Dodge Dakota sport (v6/5spd), 01 Mazda Protege, 84 Mazda RX7, 89 Mazda RX7 convertible, 06 Toyota Tacoma, 2011 Honda Fit. 
I also have restored a few cars.  This is the last one I did for my Mom's boss:  1960 Mercedes 220.  80% Restoration (stripped to body with main drivetrain still in place). 

4. Glass Blowing.  I was an off-hand glass blower for years (was planning on making it a profession), but decided that I didn't want to take the fun out of it.  I still blow about once a year or so depending on funds (it's expensive to rent studio time in So Cal.)

5.  Model Cars.  Over the years, I have done hundreds of model cars.  Several have been displayed and toured for shops. 

Thank you again Ray for doing such a generous thing here.   :thumb:
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline whmeltonjr

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 19:24:35 »
I used to be big into golf club collecting, specifically putters. I still play, but I no longer have putters that cost several thousand dollars (getting married and having a kid kinda changed my priorities on what money was tied up in). Below are three of my favorite putters I owned. Would love to have a shot at those Cherry PBT caps. Thanks for doing the giveaway.  :thumb:

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 20:05:47 »
Wow, you guys have some cool hobbies!  I had no idea you guys were into some of that!
I'm back.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 23:13:35 »
It's been about a year since I added anything to this collection because I haven't been fishing too many college events. However this year due to some new sponsors and competitions I'll hopefully get out on the water a lot more. Freshman year of HS (about 6 years ago) my friend Ari and I flipped out when we found out about the fishing team and decided to join. Freshman year I didn't do too much for the team but by sophomore year Jonah (fishing partner) and I were competing at state and looking for sponsors. Of course as I got more into fishing I needed to buy more gear so tackle warehouse orders became a bimonthly thing during the season in order to keep trying/ learning new techniques. After 5.5 years of this I'm left with 6 rod/ reel setups, a full tackle box, and gallon bags full of soft plastic lures. This year I've been able to talk to the president of Tech's club and older members so I should hopefully fish at least 1 FLW tournament and a few other BASS/ local ones.

115357-0

Tackle box and spinner folder

115359-1

Light weight/ weightless soft plastic rod

115361-2

I primarily use this rod for jigs, chatterbaits, swim jigs, meidum- heavy weighted soft plastics, and similar but if I changed the line it'd also be fine for crankbaits.

If anyone has questions feel free to ask, I'm not really sure what part of the collection to explain.

I also have a small glass collection but I think that'd violate the family friendly rule.  :))

Edit: I didn't realize how bad that third photo was.  :-[
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 October 2015, 23:15:30 by Joey Quinn »
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 23:19:18 »
@Joey Quinn I had no idea you were into fishing. That's cool man.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 23:31:49 »
@Joey Quinn I had no idea you were into fishing. That's cool man.

Thanks, I've always liked it but really got into it when I realized there was a technique and ways to greatly improve your odds of catching good fish. It was sort of like keyboards in that I got used to rods/ reels that give good feedback and could be customized for performance then couldn't go back.  :))
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline SploogeFactory

• Vitamin D deficient
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 04:04:25 »
I'm pretty sure at least a few people in here are interested in photography, actually I saw a post before with Nubbinator saying he was going to get a Nikon D7100, had my D7100 for about a year now.

I haven't been into it as much lately since I got back from Europe, but here are some of the shots I got

This one is of the dead sea after I did a little edit:

Original:

In Barcelona:

Also Barcelona at the pier off the main beach:

Snapped this moment off the square, pretty happy with this and this is pre-edited before I straightened it up a bit:

Might have to get into it again, and these are huge pics, hope I didn't just take up the whole page!

Chucked a few more in of the dead sea

« Last Edit: Thu, 29 October 2015, 04:17:35 by SploogeFactory »
Methylated Spirits, not even once.

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 04:37:41 »
OK LET'S DO THIS

I can say that I have a few bits of hobby, even others which I have more interest than keyboards
I love photography but ever more I can say that my soul is with cooking and food
Started working in the kitchen, peeling potatoes, carrot, washing dishes (because I was a student with limited budget)
then worked my way up for 2 years until I became chef de' sauce

nevertheless, now I can combine my love in cooking/food with photography
here goes some pics of the stuff I cook myself at home

Roast pork and butternut w/ chimicuri sauce by Hanshen, on Flickr

More

More
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 October 2015, 04:51:52 by jokrik »
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline faycheung

• Noob
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 05:07:47 »
I've got s few hobbies but the ones that I'm most into besides mech kbs would be flight simming and photography.

Photography has always been a family hobby. By no means am I at an expert level, and definitely not to SploogeFactory's level!! Those shots are stunning!!
I've fallen in love with the M42 mount. So many cheap but good quality lenses in that mount, and glassless adaptor straight to EF mount. Awesome. This one would probably be my prize, the Zenit FS-12.

The Tair-3S indicates that it's from 1981 though I suspect the parts to have been mixed around a bit. Whilst the case and the Tair-3S are later variants, included was a broken Zenit-ES. I've managed to crack the receiver open and wire it to a 2.5mm shutter release which works with half trigger pull for focus and metering, and full pull for shutter release. Now that I'm on a body that takes C3, I've got the 2.5mm through a female female, then 2.5 to C3 jack. I've also got an assortment of other camera equipment, Canon T90, Zenit FS-12, Helios 44-2 etc. lying around.

Besides photography, I'm really into aviation and I'm slowly working my way to an APTL. I immerse myself into flight sims, specifically FSX, heavily modded.
This is a pic of my humble system taken some years ago. I'm still really into it, but I haven't flown in the sim for some years now, complicated circumstances. Anyone else sim here? FSX? P3D? XP10? DCS? BMS?

Why'd tower instruct me to taxi backtrack to a tailwind derated takeoff?

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 05:21:23 »
Haha I remeber my uncle being huge into flight sims but unable to afford a PC to properly run it, I remeber I would walk into his office area at my cousins house and it would be running at about 4-5 frames a second, it would end up his fights to the US would take almost as long as it would be to sail there hahaha

Though I was always kinda secretly jealous of people with proper rigs, those joysticks are so cool

Offline faycheung

• Noob
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 05:31:24 »
I'm currently using a G940, includes stick, throttle and pedals. It think it's a decent set even though the pots spike somewhat, nothing some lube can't fix. The stick is one of the few in the market that has force feedback, which is incredibly useful when using force trim. Indispensable when flying helicopters, especially the UH-1H Huey. Some people have 1:1 home cockpits which cost a fortune, complete with panels, MCP, overhead, CDU, pedestal etc.

These sims have funky hardware requirements and require a lot of tweaking to squeeze out frames and keep it stable. As for the stick, mine is nice, but I'm saving up for a $2000 USD haptic feedback contactless shaft yoke!!

Offline THSdrummer

• HKP hunter. Need moar.
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 05:56:53 »
I tend to get really into a hobby for up to a year, and then it fades. That said, a few have stuck throughout my years.

-Camping, playing drums, watches, mechanical keyboards, wet shaving, fountain pens

I have an infatuation with the outdoors, but I tend to only car camp. That said, this past month I spent 3 out of the 4 weekends in the woods in a tent. It was a glorious time. I arranged the second weekend's camp out and as such, I built several fires and helped setup/tear down tents and just did most everything. Bummer considering I missed out on time with friends, but being out in the woods just feels right. I wore my Citizen BM6400-00e watch while I was out there ;) Otherwise, I just own two Casios (the black dialed Edifice chronograph, and the MDV106).

The first three on my list have all been hobbies since I was a kid. The latter have pretty much all sprung up in my college years. I have enjoyed shaving since my first time (I just feel so manly), but wet shaving (using a DE safety razor or straight razor) just feels so much more proper. And the smoothness that ensues... oh my. So smooth.

EDIT: Here's the tent I spent my first time camping alone in. It's an old REI 4-seasons, 3-person tent. I wish I knew more about it. It's an absolutely gorgeous tent. Fully waterproofed seams. Sturdy self-supporting construction. It's also warm. It dropped down the 30's and windy at night. I kept toasty in this and an Alps 20* synthetic bag. I borrowed both the sleeping bag and tent from my outdoor skills instructor. He's had this tent for ~14 years. If he offered to sell it, I'd be all over it. Pictured on the last day with the massive group tent I borrowed for the rest of the group.

« Last Edit: Thu, 29 October 2015, 11:31:12 by THSdrummer »

Leopold FC660m  CM Stealth TKL

WTB: ^^ (O-Zone Bro V2), Drunk Skull, Oktoberfest, Laser/Poison/Woodland HKPs, G1 HKP Gas Masks
MY CLASSIFIEDS THREAD

Offline SploogeFactory

• Vitamin D deficient
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 06:39:28 »
I've got s few hobbies but the ones that I'm most into besides mech kbs would be flight simming and photography.

Photography has always been a family hobby. By no means am I at an expert level, and definitely not to SploogeFactory's level!! Those shots are stunning!!
I've fallen in love with the M42 mount. So many cheap but good quality lenses in that mount, and glassless adaptor straight to EF mount. Awesome. This one would probably be my prize, the Zenit FS-12.

No way dude, these are just some that I like. I like yours dude, there's a real nice motion in the picture of the truck and I like the presence of those lanterns, we should both be jealous of Jokrik's food pics! Straight out of a magazine ha!

Offline faycheung

• Noob
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 07:05:44 »
Absolutely. I love his third one. The lighting is very...full and the composition is just perfect. Absolutely perfect!!

Offline Bevo

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 07:33:33 »
All of my hobbies seem to be pretty damn expensive.
« Last Edit: Sat, 31 October 2015, 11:29:48 by Bevo »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 06:57:30 »
You guys feel free to keep sharing your other interests/hobbies but I'm closing the giveaway as there doesn't seem to be any more interest.

I'll do some name drawing later and send out some PM's.

Thanks to everyone who participated!

Offline RenegadeParadox

Re: [Done] Get Some Random Stuff For Sharing Your Random Interests/Hobbies
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 11:25:33 »
I keep a lot of high voltage lights, pumps, and heaters around salt water. Mostly I keep water in a very narrow range of chemical composition, salinity, and temperature. In the water there also happens to be many marine invertebrates and fish. I do my best to keep the whole environment a enclosed ecosystem that is self sustaining for the most part. Please take a look at the photos and ask any questions you might have as I love to talk about my Reef tank. Mechanical Keyboards/ Artisan Key Caps (new)/ and Video games are also some of my other hobbies.

http://imgur.com/a/bA16u
« Last Edit: Fri, 30 October 2015, 11:31:08 by RenegadeParadox »

Offline lolpes

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 11:26:36 »
You guys feel free to keep sharing your other interests/hobbies but I'm closing the giveaway as there doesn't seem to be any more interest.

Thank you for the giveaway :) nice to know some peoples interests in here besides the obvious one ;)

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 12:03:07 »

Thank you! This was a great idea and one of the more interesting threads I've read through recently. You can really feel everyone's passion for their hobbies just by the way they describe them.

Offline SploogeFactory

• Vitamin D deficient
« Reply #41 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 18:35:03 »
I keep a lot of high voltage lights, pumps, and heaters around salt water. Mostly I keep water in a very narrow range of chemical composition, salinity, and temperature. In the water there also happens to be many marine invertebrates and fish. I do my best to keep the whole environment a enclosed ecosystem that is self sustaining for the most part. Please take a look at the photos and ask any questions you might have as I love to talk about my Reef tank. Mechanical Keyboards/ Artisan Key Caps (new)/ and Video games are also some of my other hobbies.

Show Image

That tank looks pretty dope, cool to see that yoy have such an interest in it. Watching animal life do its thing is really interesting for some reason, please tell me that fish up top is Nemo?

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
[Done] Get Some Random Stuff For Sharing Your Random Interests/Hobbies
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 18:46:58 »

Show Image

I've always loved watching reef aquariums. What does a lower end installation cost?  That might be my new addiction :-)

Edit: your pics are dope
I'm back.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #43 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 21:42:51 »
PM's sent out to winners

Offline RenegadeParadox

« Reply #44 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 23:06:19 »

That tank looks pretty dope, cool to see that yoy have such an interest in it. Watching animal life do its thing is really interesting for some reason, please tell me that fish up top is Nemo?

Well my 0range ocellaris clownfish (the Nemo looking one) is actually the female. You can tell because the larger clownfish is always the female. Originally it was a male but, males turn into females if left alone and become the dominant clownfish. My black clownfish (named Jynx) is the male and is actually really funny how submissive he is.

I've always loved watching reef aquariums. What does a lower end installation cost?  That might be my new addiction :-)

Edit: your pics are dope

I have thousands more, watching life move and grow right in front of you makes you want to photograph every moment. I made my first reef tank a "Nano tank" which required a lot of effort to maintain. When it comes to fish tanks, especially Reef tanks, the bigger the easier they are to maintain. Problems happen fast and the larger the body of water the less damage any one issue can cause. I would say it cost me less than 600$ to set up my whole tank (though I bought and continue to use craigslist and forums to buy second hand). The real cost comes in "Frags" or coral as well as any fish you might want. Coral fragments (inch pieces) can range anywhere from $15 to $200+ for nicer ones. The trick is to get a really nice ecosystem going so you don't have to micromanage it and let your frags grow into a thriving colony. ReefCentral and NanoReef are two great forums if you are interested in starting your own. This is also the kind of niche hobby where there might only be 2 stores within an hour drive of you but they tend to have events and meet ups where locals frag off some of their coral and trade/sell to expand one another's collection. It takes a lot of focus and patience to get a thriving reef tank but for my money/time its completely worth it.

Offline SploogeFactory

• Vitamin D deficient
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 02:09:27 »

Well my 0range ocellaris clownfish (the Nemo looking one) is actually the female. You can tell because the larger clownfish is always the female. Originally it was a male but, males turn into females if left alone and become the dominant clownfish. My black clownfish (named Jynx) is the male and is actually really funny how submissive he is.

Man, that IS interesting! It seems like in nature the Male is often the smaller of the genders.

Offline RenegadeParadox

« Reply #46 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 02:22:53 »
I'm sure there are some evolutionary benefits to being smaller as a male for some reason. On a completely different note, 1) noticing your are from Australia you have the distinct advantage of being able seeing actually seeing what a real reef looks in all its ecological diversity. Have you ever had a chance to see any coral reefs in person? I have heard some Austrian reef tank owners say that when there is a large storm they check the beaches for washed up broken bits of coral that would otherwise die. I'd love to make my way down some time. Also your avatar picture freaked the hell out of me when it moved... just sayin  :eek:

Offline SploogeFactory

• Vitamin D deficient
« Reply #47 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 05:23:54 »
I'm sure there are some evolutionary benefits to being smaller as a male for some reason. On a completely different note, 1) noticing your are from Australia you have the distinct advantage of being able seeing actually seeing what a real reef looks in all its ecological diversity. Have you ever had a chance to see any coral reefs in person? I have heard some Austrian reef tank owners say that when there is a large storm they check the beaches for washed up broken bits of coral that would otherwise die. I'd love to make my way down some time. Also your avatar picture freaked the hell out of me when it moved... just sayin  :eek:

I live in Southern New South Wales so there isn't really any coral reef, it starts in QLD probably about 1000k's North of me, the reefs around me are just rocky reefs but I would say your friends are right, provided they are not from Austria like you said but from Australia haha!

We have a serious problem with coral bleaching though due to sea temperature change, if you were going to see the Great Barrier Reef then you should see it over the next 2-3 years before any more is destroyed.

Offline RenegadeParadox

« Reply #48 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 11:25:19 »
Dam auto correct!  :-[ Unfortunately I know all about the coral bleaching and how bad it's been getting. That one of the main reasons I want to see the Reef as soon as possible.

Offline SploogeFactory

• Vitamin D deficient
« Reply #49 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 20:46:26 »
Dam auto correct!  :-[ Unfortunately I know all about the coral bleaching and how bad it's been getting. That one of the main reasons I want to see the Reef as soon as possible.

You and me both, I've lived here for 22 years and I have never seen the Great Barrier Reef, or climbed the Sydney Harbour Bridge, I have seen Ayer's Rock though, and it's pretty amazing.