Author Topic: IBM Model F AT - $100+s/h  (Read 2345 times)

Offline unoab

IBM Model F AT - $100+s/h
« on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 15:07:44 »
Missing one key, but otherwise looks to be in decent condition.  Recently they have been going around the $125 mark so this one is a bit cheaper than current offerings, well and the seller accepts offers, so you can probably get at least $10 off the asking price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191725986374

Offline engicoder

Re: IBM Model F AT - $100+s/h
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 15:14:46 »
Its missing the Esc key and has some odd discoloring at the bottom...hopefully just dirty.

Anyway, I low-balled him with a $50 off to test the water and he came back with a $95 counter, so probably not a lot of wiggle room there.

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 15:20:03 »
FFS.  Seller is asking a great price and has decent shipping prices ($12 to NC) and you lowball them?

Why waste their time?

Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline unoab

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 15:21:29 »
Oh, well that sucks, I normally go ~15% should be acceptable for bartering... but then again each seller is a bit different, if he will only take a 5% discount, might as well price it there with no offer option and sell it quicker.  But then again.. that's just my opinion..

edit: just a hair slow, and E29, sometimes if you dont need a board, but might be able to clean it up if the seller accepts it is nice to throw in an offer.  And if the seller doesn't want to waste time on super low balls they can always have it set up to auto decline them.
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 October 2015, 15:23:23 by unoab »

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 15:41:39 »
I know someone that sells stuff on eBay, and will on occasion accept offers. He is usually pretty reasonable, but if someone low balls him, he just shoots back a slightly lower price. It is like two people both telling each other to go screw but with numbers instead of words.
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline engicoder

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 15:50:04 »
I know someone that sells stuff on eBay, and will on occasion accept offers. He is usually pretty reasonable, but if someone low balls him, he just shoots back a slightly lower price. It is like two people both telling each other to go screw but with numbers instead of words.

Very true...maybe I got what I deserved.  ;)

Offline Bucake

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 16:38:15 »
Shipping: $129.56
and that's excluding import tax

:D
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline 1391406

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 16:52:41 »
The 'odd discoloration' is probably just grime from use in an automotive shop or some such. Seems like a reasonable price, though I might put in a slightly lower offer due to the missing key and hygiene of the board.
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 17:46:38 »
It is not easy to turn off the "Best Offer" button.

There are probably many sellers who have no intention of entertaining lower offers at all.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline 1391406

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 18:55:51 »

There are probably many sellers who have no intention of entertaining lower offers at all.

As an aside, I've had at least one listing where Best Offer was checked and the check box was greyed out making it impossible to uncheck it. Sellers still have the option of setting a minimum amount, however I had one buyer write an angry message asking why I even had the Best Offer option enabled if I was only going to decline every offer.
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 19:05:50 »

I have been selling a lot of stuff on ebay recently and this keeps happening. Have played this game with one particular item 3 times now and each time the buyer offers me half price, the exact same price each time. We go up and down until I have dropped the price to about 75 % and then no response. I am starting to suspect it is the same person with different accounts just waiting for me to get bored of doing it.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 19:16:13 »

As an aside, I've had at least one listing where Best Offer was checked and the check box was greyed out making it impossible to uncheck it. Sellers still have the option of setting a minimum amount, however I had one buyer write an angry message asking why I even had the Best Offer option enabled if I was only going to decline every offer.

When making a listing, you have to click on the "Best Offer" button at least a dozen times to make it go off.

Sometimes, you have to go on to other selections and then come back to it.

You might also try completing the listing and then immediately revising it.

They make it very hard for sellers, as always.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline 1391406

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 19:34:03 »

When making a listing, you have to click on the "Best Offer" button at least a dozen times to make it go off.

Sometimes, you have to go on to other selections and then come back to it.

You might also try completing the listing and then immediately revising it.

They make it very hard for sellers, as always.

Sometimes disabling Best Offer requires some patience, but this particular listing wasn't the typical 'click it, click it again, then keep clicking it until it's disabled'. It's the only listing whereby the check box ultimately remained unclickable, even after multiple revision attempts.

115342-0

Offline unoab

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 19:46:33 »
Sometimes disabling Best Offer requires some patience, but this particular listing wasn't the typical 'click it, click it again, then keep clicking it until it's disabled'. It's the only listing whereby the check box ultimately remained unclickable, even after multiple revision attempts.

(Attachment Link)

I wonder what would have happened if you would have just clicked the box to automatically decline offers and put in a value of $2.99?  Though that may not give the best customer experience, but it would essentially remove the "feature" in a more hacked up way (unless they validate form inputs to be less than the asking price).

Offline 1391406

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 21:01:44 »

(Attachment Link)

I wonder what would have happened if you would have just clicked the box to automatically decline offers and put in a value of $2.99?  Though that may not give the best customer experience, but it would essentially remove the "feature" in a more hacked up way (unless they validate form inputs to be less than the asking price).

It won't accept an amount that's greater than or equal to the BIN price. Further, I stopped auto-declining up to the highest acceptable amount due to the angry message a buyer sent. When I would receive an offer, I'd inform the offerer that the listing was never intended to include a Best Offer option, thus I didn't accept best offers, and due to an eBay glitch the Best Offer option wasn't able to be removed.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 21:15:44 »
I'd inform the offerer that the listing was never intended to include a Best Offer option, thus I didn't accept best offers, and due to an eBay glitch the Best Offer option wasn't able to be removed.

Good plan.

Then suggest that they to complain directly to ebay about the irritating policy.
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline unoab

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 22:25:06 »
I'd inform the offerer that the listing was never intended to include a Best Offer option, thus I didn't accept best offers, and due to an eBay glitch the Best Offer option wasn't able to be removed.

Good plan.

Then suggest that they to complain directly to ebay about the irritating policy.

Too bad sometimes it feels near impossible to contact ebay, that "contact us" section was made to drive people nuts who have a question that doesn't fit their categories.

Offline 1391406

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 00:36:00 »

Good plan.

Too bad sometimes it feels near impossible to contact ebay, that "contact us" section was made to drive people nuts who have a question that doesn't fit their categories.

I usually have pretty good luck calling them.