Author Topic: Heyo! I like mayo!  (Read 1801 times)

Offline tinymakesthings

• staytuned
    • Check out my stuff here!
Heyo! I like mayo!
« on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 11:02:03 »
Hello!

I probably should have made this awhile ago, but better late than never, right?

I mostly lurk (around the Artisan pages primarily because I think custom keycaps are really awesome!) and I guess I'm more of a reddit user, although I think I lurk there too. So actually I'm just a general lurker. I don't know that much about keyboards and usually people who are more informed say the things I want to say so it's just easier for me to stay silent... Hoping to change that a bit though! I have heard equally good and bad things about this community (as with most online communities) but I hope to see the good in it!

I have gone through many keyboards... I really did go crazy at one point in my early days and owned 5 keyboards I think. Eventually sold most of them and right now, I'm in a moving transition so my CM QFR is sitting in a box somewhere...

Big fan of MX Blues but haven't really tried out anything besides Cherry MX.

Am a big fan of SA keycap sets (PuLSE, Calm Depths, Penumbra in particular) and also have a super big interest in collecting artisans. I'm not willing to drop $100+ on a single keycap though, so it's been a bit difficult to get a Bro or like... Binge cap. I have hope that someday I'll get the opportunity though! And in the meantime, I'm looking to see if I can make my own.. this might take me awhile to get to though.

I'd post a pic of my keyboard but I'm a bit lazy and don't want to dig through my boxes.. Maybe later!

Hope to see y'all around!

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
Re: Heyo! I like mayo!
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 11:10:52 »
Haha you sound like me. Especially your taste in SA keycaps. Don't be afraid to participate in discussions! As long as you're respectful and enthusiastic this community is very well receiving (at least that has been my experience so far after three weeks). You'd be surprised too! I thought It'd take me months to get a Bro but with some attention and a little luck I managed to win a Rustler on my first raffle! Once you start building your collection there's tons of people here that trade caps so don't worry, the opportunity will come.

I'd be really interested to see some content if you ever decide to make your own! A new artisan for me to spend my money on  :))

Oh and welcome to geekhack!
Quote from: Binge
crumping is like twerking but it's all about getting low with force.

Offline ripwallet

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 00:03:52 »
Welcome! I've always wanted to try blues but they would get limited use so loud but oh so satisfying haha. My dream set is Penumbra but too much monies to buy second hand, that SA profile is very appealing. Welcome to GH! :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 01:10:33 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

You'll need a few more posts, just a few, to participate in Bro Cap sales, but many other sales are open to all.

Five keyboards is not crazy, by the way.  Five keyboard is merely a good start.  50 keyboards is probably crazy.  I don't have 50 yet, only about 16.  Mechanical keyboards.  Plus a bunch of various rubber dome keyboards.  Plus some Apple scissor switch keyboards.  I'm not crazy :p

The trick with artisans is to be patient, and enter sales when you can.  Some people try one or two sales and too easily become discouraged.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tinymakesthings

• staytuned
    • Check out my stuff here!
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 11:48:48 »
Haha you sound like me. Especially your taste in SA keycaps. Don't be afraid to participate in discussions! As long as you're respectful and enthusiastic this community is very well receiving (at least that has been my experience so far after three weeks). You'd be surprised too! I thought It'd take me months to get a Bro but with some attention and a little luck I managed to win a Rustler on my first raffle! Once you start building your collection there's tons of people here that trade caps so don't worry, the opportunity will come.

I'd be really interested to see some content if you ever decide to make your own! A new artisan for me to spend my money on  :))

Oh and welcome to geekhack!
Nice, congrats on that Rustler! I think I'm 0/4 for Bros raffles (but yes, I've seen people with worse numbers) but hoping to get in on some raffle in the future!

I've made some ... prototypes (not resin casted but just using clay on keycaps), to say, that I might be posting soon. They are not very polished at all but I'm going to try and get feedback from the community because there are a lot of great artisan keycap makers around here that I could learn a lot from!

Welcome! I've always wanted to try blues but they would get limited use so loud but oh so satisfying haha. My dream set is Penumbra but too much monies to buy second hand, that SA profile is very appealing. Welcome to GH! :)
You should definitely try out Blues! They are very fun and feels great to type on. Would not suggest for work environment unless you want to be hated by all your coworkers though, haha.

I'm still waiting on Penumbra Round 2 but I'm not sure when or if that will ever happen...
Welcome to Geekhack!

You'll need a few more posts, just a few, to participate in Bro Cap sales, but many other sales are open to all.

Five keyboards is not crazy, by the way.  Five keyboard is merely a good start.  50 keyboards is probably crazy.  I don't have 50 yet, only about 16.  Mechanical keyboards.  Plus a bunch of various rubber dome keyboards.  Plus some Apple scissor switch keyboards.  I'm not crazy :p

The trick with artisans is to be patient, and enter sales when you can.  Some people try one or two sales and too easily become discouraged.
Thanks!

Haha, 5 keyboards is indeed not that much compared to some people, but going from 0 to 5 in like a month is a hefty jump for me! Especially since I had once thought that I would never be one to spend anywhere close to $100 for a keyboard. My wallet was like, wtf. 16 though, that's impressive, haha!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 00:49:13 »
Thanks!

Haha, 5 keyboards is indeed not that much compared to some people, but going from 0 to 5 in like a month is a hefty jump for me! Especially since I had once thought that I would never be one to spend anywhere close to $100 for a keyboard. My wallet was like, wtf. 16 though, that's impressive, haha!

Just wait until you've spend $100 on a single keycap :p
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 January 2017, 19:50:26 by HoffmanMyster »
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 01:49:26 »
Wellcome to GH bro

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 02:47:20 »
sup
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 22:35:25 »