Author Topic: Solder "Remapping" Matias Ergo Pro  (Read 1980 times)

Offline RyanArr

Solder "Remapping" Matias Ergo Pro
« on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 14:44:00 »
I'm trying to remap the cut/copy/paste on my ergo pro to do something useful. It's pretty complicated/flaky in software since these keys actually send a Command-V rather than a single code. Then I noticed that Fn+[Useless Key] produces F16-F19. I'm thinking I can solder some diodes between the keys so when I press one of these keys I also activate the Fn key. This way they would always produce an FKey which I could easily remap in software. I'm pretty awful with electronics, so I'm wondering if someone here can confirm my logic is correct.

In the picture below the horizontal lines are the existing board traces and the vertical would be the proposed added diodes.

Offline Philister

Re: Solder "Remapping" Matias Ergo Pro
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 14:57:26 »
Hey there.

If you haven't gone and soldered away at anything, I can offer a software solution using Autohotkey if that's an option for you.

Try this code for two AHK hotkeys:

Code: [Select]
$^v:: return
$^v Up::
if (GetKeyState("Ctrl", "P")) {
MsgBox Paste command proper
Send ^v
} else
MsgBox Paste command shortcut
return

When you press Ctrl-v the tradtional way, the first box should come up and when you use the shortcut key on the Ergo Pro, it should trigger the second box. At least this works fine on my Kinesis Freestyle which has similar keys...

If it works, just delete the first MsgBox command and replace the second with whatever you'd rather have that key send. You can easily adapt it for the undo, copy and cut keys as well.

Offline RyanArr

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 22:52:44 »
Thanks, but I'm not on Windows. I'm using this mostly on OS X. I haven't had any luck getting Karabiner to do what I want, which is why I was resorting to soldering.

Offline mivanov

• something something
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 06:18:03 »
Hey there.

If you haven't gone and soldered away at anything, I can offer a software solution using Autohotkey if that's an option for you.

Try this code for two AHK hotkeys:

Code: [Select]
$^v:: return
$^v Up::
if (GetKeyState("Ctrl", "P")) {
MsgBox Paste command proper
Send ^v
} else
MsgBox Paste command shortcut
return

When you press Ctrl-v the tradtional way, the first box should come up and when you use the shortcut key on the Ergo Pro, it should trigger the second box. At least this works fine on my Kinesis Freestyle which has similar keys...

If it works, just delete the first MsgBox command and replace the second with whatever you'd rather have that key send. You can easily adapt it for the undo, copy and cut keys as well.
Can you offer a solution for linux? Also how exactly would this work?

As I see it - the button does a ctrl keypress and then c, and if you hold it - it repeats the c.
Same as when you press ctrl+c yourself?

As for the soldering idea - I don't see why it wouldn't work. But I'd suggest flashing the keyboard so that you may send a custom key and basically reconnecting the hotkey buttons as just additional buttons. (not connecting them to the Fn or whatever). Why complicate life with Fn+something bindings, when you can get independent buttons?

Offline RyanArr

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 23:28:20 »
Can you offer a solution for linux? Also how exactly would this work?

As I see it - the button does a ctrl keypress and then c, and if you hold it - it repeats the c.
Same as when you press ctrl+c yourself?
These dedicated keys don't actually repeat when held. On press they send a quick succession of:
Cmd_L Down (unless it's already down)
V Down
V Up
Cmd_L Up (doesn't matter if it was down or not)

They do nothing when released. All of this is with consistent and predictable timing, so it should be possible to detect and remap in any OS, but unless you want to get your hands dirty you have to work within the limitations of the available tools.

As for the soldering idea - I don't see why it wouldn't work. But I'd suggest flashing the keyboard so that you may send a custom key and basically reconnecting the hotkey buttons as just additional buttons. (not connecting them to the Fn or whatever). Why complicate life with Fn+something bindings, when you can get independent buttons?
This keyboard is 100% not programmable, otherwise that would have been my first choice. I have talked myself out of soldering them though. Too much trouble and, technically the board belongs to my employer, so I shouldn't do anything too drastic.