Author Topic: Hello!  (Read 1495 times)

Offline aoeuhtns

• Dvorak Master Race
Hello!
« on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 00:28:00 »
Hi everyone, my name is Andy. I'm new to GH but I've been on reddit for quite awhile. Decided to give GH a try for a new experience! My foray into mechanical keyboards came about when I built my first computer, and of course it wouldn't have been a real build without new peripherals. I had been considering something flashy like a Razer Blackwidow or a Corsair K70 but after a lot of deliberation I ended up going for a Rosewill which was a great decision. From there I skipped getting a tenkeyless and jumped right to a 60% with a Pok3r with blues. One switch tester later and I realized I liked the feeling of greens even more, and before too long another Pok3r was coming in the mail. At the moment, I'm waiting on a Planck to come with greens as well and I'm really excited to try an ortholinear layout.

I work at a bank, however so a tenkey has always been an invaluable tool in my line of work. I started with a flimsy Adesso I grabbed at Micro Center but just recently got a Leopold I ordered on eBay from Korea. Super happy with it.

I unfortunately didn't get into mechanical keyboards hard enough to shell out the dough for new caps until a little too late and missed some great sets (the most recent Granite drop and 1976 for example) by a short time. It's all good though because I just snagged a full set of Granite from the Massdrop keycap sale and am also waiting on the edge of my seat for Carbon to come (fingers crossed it really finishes production this month).

Getting into this hobby has also been beneficial in that it made me want to finally learn to type properly. I was a hunt and peck typist since I was a child and breaking that habit was quite the experience. I chose to learn Dvorak because it seemed to be exactly what I needed, which is that it was completely unlike Qwerty because I realized I would never be able to unlearn hunt and pecking in Qwerty. Going from typing 90wpm in one keyboard layout to starting fresh in another at something like 5-10wpm was crazy. I worked at it when I had the time, and eventually made the switch to using it fulltime and have never looked back.

Well thanks for reading and I look forward to getting to know the rest of you!
Boards: Pok3r (MX Blues) | Pok3r (MX Greens) | Rosewill RK-9000I (MX Blues) | Leopold FC210TP (MX Blues) | Adesso AKP-220B (MX Blues)
On the way: Grid Planck (MX Greens)

Caps: Eve
On the way: Granite | Carbon

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Hello!
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 00:57:47 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

A switch tester can only give a vague impression of what it is like to type on a particular switch, so it will be interesting to see what you think of MX greens once you get to type on a full board of them.

There are group buys and reruns all the time, sometimes the biggest problem is trying to decide what to spend your money on :))
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline aoeuhtns

• Dvorak Master Race
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 01:08:20 »
Thanks! I should have made it clearer in the first post I have actually been using greens for a couple months and I absolutely love them. Blues sort of pale in comparison for me now. I'm wondering what my next switch is going to be... probably tactile greys.

And boy isn't that the truth. When the recent extras sale at Massdrop was about to happen I didn't think there would be a cap on how much you could buy so I was mentally preparing myself to just throw fistfuls of money at them. I guess it's a good thing they limited it to two sets per customer.
Boards: Pok3r (MX Blues) | Pok3r (MX Greens) | Rosewill RK-9000I (MX Blues) | Leopold FC210TP (MX Blues) | Adesso AKP-220B (MX Blues)
On the way: Grid Planck (MX Greens)

Caps: Eve
On the way: Granite | Carbon

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 01:51:13 »
Wellcome to GH bro, me myself are also learning new layout

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 02:54:59 »
hey!
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline beehatch

• baehatch
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 00:46:22 »
Green FTW

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 23:25:28 »
Thanks! I should have made it clearer in the first post I have actually been using greens for a couple months and I absolutely love them. Blues sort of pale in comparison for me now. I'm wondering what my next switch is going to be... probably tactile greys.

And boy isn't that the truth. When the recent extras sale at Massdrop was about to happen I didn't think there would be a cap on how much you could buy so I was mentally preparing myself to just throw fistfuls of money at them. I guess it's a good thing they limited it to two sets per customer.

Two per customer per sale is only a way of spending money over a longer period of time rather than all at once.  Which could be a good thing!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ