Author Topic: Hey everyone! I'm pab.  (Read 1762 times)

Offline pab

• Dvorakian Nightmare
Hey everyone! I'm pab.
« on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 02:35:04 »
Hey all! I'm a long time mechanical keyboard user who is a software engineer is his day-job. I do a *lot* of typing. :-)

A brief history of my mechs:
  • Das Keyboard 3 (Cherry MX Browns) - Hated it.
  • Code Keyboard (Cherry MX Greens) - Alright board, but ABS keycaps quickly got slick and Greens were much too firm for me.
  • Poker II (Cherry MX  Browns) - Loved it! Still use it to this day.
  • Pok3r (Cherry MX Clears) - Loved it, but sadly it is virtually unusable after some keys stopped working. Clears were a little bit too stiff, but had a much better bump than browns.

Personal pet peeves:
  • Blank keycaps - I'll often opt to use QWERTY keycaps over blanks, and I type on Dvorak!
  • Backlighting - Mostly ew.  Especially ew when it's chromatic color changing LEDs.
  • Numpads - Can't remember the last time I wished I had one. I'm a software engineer, not an accountant damnit!
  • ABS - I really can't picture myself buying another keyboard/keyset. Don't particularly like typing on oil-spills.
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 November 2015, 02:37:27 by pab »

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
Re: Hey everyone! I'm pab.
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 02:52:51 »
your personal pet peeves are shared by like 90% of this community
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline pab

• Dvorakian Nightmare
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 03:37:21 »
your personal pet peeves are shared by like 90% of this community

That's a good sign, isn't it? :-)

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 03:40:21 »
Welcome home my son

Offline beehatch

• baehatch
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 00:43:44 »
I feel the opposite about all of your pet peeves.

welcum2gh

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 13:40:48 »
I also strongly dislike backlighting, especially the garish throbbing/breathing/humping RBG type.  Strangely, I feel the same as you feel about ABS, but about POM and sometimes PBT.  They get too oily too quickly from my fingers.  Haha.  Welcome to GH.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 13:42:14 »
Sounds like to me that you want a TKL RealForce.

Just saying.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 20:48:55 »
Sounds like to me that you want a TKL RealForce.

Just saying.

55g*

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 23:47:12 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

I don't mind backlighting as I work and play in areas that often have low lighting.  OTOH I probably have more keyboards without backlighting than with.

Interesting that you hated browns in the DAS, but loved them in the Poker 2 - did you work out why that is?  DAS construction?  Layout?  Size?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 21:48:43 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

I don't mind backlighting as I work and play in areas that often have low lighting.  OTOH I probably have more keyboards without backlighting than with.

Interesting that you hated browns in the DAS, but loved them in the Poker 2 - did you work out why that is?  DAS construction?  Layout?  Size?
Keycaps. Doesn't the Poker have PBT?

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 03:59:24 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Keycaps. Doesn't the Poker have PBT?

Could be that too!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ