Author Topic: (Apparently) NIB '88 Model M 1391401, currently $74 shipped  (Read 2794 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
(Apparently) NIB '88 Model M 1391401, currently $74 shipped
« on: Fri, 13 November 2015, 19:40:50 »
This looks like a NIB 2nd-generation M. The only defect I can see is that it's missing a foot (factory oversight?).

IBM Personal System/2 Model 30 Starter Kit Vintage Model M Keyboard + Cable (eBay)

117126-0

117128-1

117130-2

No shot of the front, but I'm guessing they just didn't want to bother lifting it out of the box.
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 November 2015, 19:43:15 by ander »
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline fknraiden

Re: (Apparently) NIB '88 Model M 1391401, currently $74 shipped
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 13 November 2015, 20:34:47 »
Thats cool it has a box. but im not seeing the appeal to this "deal"

Just taking a few seconds to search 1391401 resulted in a million results

here is a '87 with a BIN price of 50$
Even comes with a bluecube

IBM SSK 87'     ReAlForce 55g Silent 10AE

Offline openmiceagle

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 13 November 2015, 23:10:41 »

Sure but this is new in box.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 14 November 2015, 01:05:25 »
Not exactly showing the front of it either Ander.
I think if they really wanted to sell it, wouldn't they show the actual keyboard too?
Hmm.

Offline fknraiden

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 14 November 2015, 01:15:12 »

Sure but this is new in box.

Hmm, doesn't show front.
AND there is a missing foot pad. I think this takes it out of the "NEW" category.

EDIT:
Item Description:
"IBM PS/2 keyboard and cable in like new condition. IBM model M. I can't tell if this item is used or not. Comes with all original packaging shown. You will receive the exact items pictured."
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 November 2015, 02:20:39 by fknraiden »

IBM SSK 87'     ReAlForce 55g Silent 10AE

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 14 November 2015, 03:36:31 »
Not exactly showing the front of it either Ander...

Yep, I believe the OP mentioned that, considerate guy that he is.

I think if they really wanted to sell it, wouldn't they show the actual keyboard too?...

If they had any experience at this. I don't know any more than the rest of you, but it seems to me that the listing's amateurish nature—including the lack of front shot—could just as well indicate they don't know what they have on their hands. They may simply have thought, "If I take this out of the package, it may be hard to get it back in the right way." Hasn't that happened to all of us at one time or another?

Quote from: fknraiden
AND there is a missing foot pad. I think this takes it out of the "NEW" category.

Maybe one of their kids picked it out, who knows? Someone will buy it, put a cleaned foot on it from nearly any parted-out Model M (I don't think IBM or Lexmark ever used more than one type), and no one will ever know the difference.

The cable's pristine appearance is significant, too. Cables get dirty quickly with use. It'd be so time-consuming to get a used cable that clean, I doubt anyone would consider it worth the effort.

Anyway, I posted this not to imply it was new (although it may be, of course). I posted it because the current price isn't much more than people pay for well-cleaned-up, used M's—and without boxes. So I thought it might appeal to your senses of adventure.  :?)
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 November 2015, 03:38:19 by ander »
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline Floody

• Formerly Flood
  • But is it?
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 14 November 2015, 04:22:22 »
Say the keyboard isn't new. Would the condition of the cable and the inclusion of the box make the starting bid price fair?

Offline Guyon

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 17:38:17 »

I always get excited when I see listings like this, and somehow am always still surprised by the shipping price.
CMStorm QuckFire Rapid w/ MX Reds, Vortex Pok3r w/ MX Clears

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 17:48:50 »
I always get excited when I see listings like this, and somehow am always still surprised by the shipping price.

While you can easily ship any keyboard domestic Priority Mail for $17 in a flat rate game board box, if you are double-boxing to protect an original box, the price goes up sharply.

All the carriers use a voodoo formula of both weight and volume to determine rates.

And most of them are charging steeply progressive rates based on distance.
"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."
- Donald Trump - Las Vegas 2024-06-09

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 17:54:30 »
Heck, I had one shipped IN it's original box.  They hold up fine.
I would think the keyboard is what is important.

Offline 1391406

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 03:34:21 »
Heck, I had one shipped IN it's original box.  They hold up fine.
I would think the keyboard is what is important.

It is, but if you're a collector the box can be important because it's a whole package. I mean, I personally like the idea of having the original box (assuming it's in decent shape) even though I'm the sort of collector that would actually use the keyboard. Considering the way packages are handled by the Post Office / FedEx / UPS, there's a decent chance the box could get scuffed up or damaged itself, not to mention you have to apply postage to the outside of the original box if you're not going to ship it in another one.
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 November 2015, 03:37:30 by 1391406 »
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 00:13:17 »
Q:    Can you take a few photos of the top of the keyboard? I can see only the bottom. Any missing keys? Thanks.   Nov-14-15
A:    The keyboard is in like new condition, no keys missing, no flaws, no damage. Unfortunately I do not want to go thru the extra hassle of taking more pictures. There are 9 watchers on this item and I am quite sure it will easily sell without more pictures. Thanks, Hunter
Looks like if we want a picture we need to stop checking out the listing, hahaha.

This could be the case of someone just not knowing how to properly show what they have.  But I'm also wondering what else was in that 'starter kit'.  I have a ps2 model 30 sitting 10 feet away from me and it didn't come with an ssk.

Offline Floody

• Formerly Flood
  • But is it?
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 00:17:04 »
Q: Can you take a few photos of the top of the keyboard? I can see only the bottom. Any missing keys? Thanks.Nov-14-15
A: The keyboard is in like new condition, no keys missing, no flaws, no damage. Unfortunately I do not want to go thru the extra hassle of taking more pictures. There are 9 watchers on this item and I am quite sure it will easily sell without more pictures. Thanks, Hunter
Looks like if we want a picture we need to stop checking out the listing, hahaha.

This could be the case of someone just not knowing how to properly show what they have.  But I'm also wondering what else was in that 'starter kit'.  I have a ps2 model 30 sitting 10 feet away from me and it didn't come with an ssk.
Will easily sell yet it's still at its starting bid. OK

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 09:10:10 »
Q: Can you take a few photos of the top of the keyboard? I can see only the bottom. Any missing keys? Thanks.Nov-14-15
A: The keyboard is in like new condition, no keys missing, no flaws, no damage. Unfortunately I do not want to go thru the extra hassle of taking more pictures. There are 9 watchers on this item and I am quite sure it will easily sell without more pictures. Thanks, Hunter

Will easily sell yet it's still at its starting bid. OK
Yeah, because inexperience sellers don't know we need to see the board because the keycaps could be different/damaged/unique.  Kinda good, kinda bad.