Author Topic: Mechanical keyboard addict from Portugal  (Read 4618 times)

Offline masaleiro

• The Bit Bang Theory
Mechanical keyboard addict from Portugal
« on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 19:30:20 »
Hi guys! I'm a electronics/informatics student from Portugal and an overtime maker. I came here some times before to learn some stuff about mechanical keyboards and to get some ideas. Now I finally decided to register and share with you the project I've been slowly doing for the past 2 years (in it's own appropriate topic).

Regarding keyboards, I've been collecting them for quite some time but the one that sparked the interest was an IBM Model M2. Meanwhile I added many more to the collection:

In this photo there are:
From Top to Bottom, Left to Right:
- IBM Model M
- Monterey K108
- Monterey K104
- Siemens PC16/32
- Siemens PC16-20
- Some old typewriter keyboard?
- Old Monterey K108 case that I tried to convert to tenkeyless and painted black
- Another IBM Model M
- Amstrad PC2086
- Chiicony KB-5192
- PO(EURO) (the only thing that says in the back sticker besides the serial number and some warnings)
- Apple M0110A
- Topis International (unknown model)
- POSiFlex KB2100
- IBM Model M2
- unknown brand/model
- BTC-53
- Onleader Technology MKB-101
- unknown brand/model (not mechanical, just Alps compatible keycaps)
- Ortek Technology MCK-84 SX
- Laptop keyboard from vintage Maxar NPC II laptop
- Cash registering machine keyboards

« Last Edit: Sun, 15 November 2015, 19:33:18 by masaleiro »

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
Re: Mechanical keyboard addict from Portugal
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 11:58:52 »
The "unknown" keyboard below your M2, what type of switches does it have?

Offline masaleiro

• The Bit Bang Theory
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 05:57:40 »
This one:

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 09:15:46 »
Hmm.  It looks like some sort of slider type key.  I'm certainly not an expert on switches, but I am sure someone here would know what keyboard it is.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 04:09:21 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Whoa!  Fantastic collection!

You'd have quite a lot of different switches there too.

The pic you posted looks a lot like slider over rubber dome, but I could be wrong.  I haven't seen that type of stem before (not that I've seen a lot of keyboards, but I've seen a lot of pictures around here)!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline masaleiro

• The Bit Bang Theory
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 09:34:27 »
Thanks for the welcome! In a few day I hop to get time to put photos of each individual keyboard with a removed keycap and then everyone can play a game of "name the switch" eheh  :thumb:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 04:05:03 »
Thanks for the welcome! In a few day I hop to get time to put photos of each individual keyboard with a removed keycap and then everyone can play a game of "name the switch" eheh  :thumb:

We like that game :D

At least some of us do.  Others, like me, just gaze in bewilderment at the multitude of switches and keyboards ...
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ