Author Topic: Hello there!  (Read 1218 times)

Offline InflamedToaster

Hello there!
« on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 21:57:56 »
Hey, everybody! I'm Toast, and I'm a fan of the clickity clack. I'm not very active anywhere, but wanted to find a like-minded community to be a member of. I've read a few threads on GH when trying to find answers to something, so I decided to sign up.

My daily is a KBT Pure, which I'm in the process of adding LEDs to. I've also currently got a Quickfire Rapid that I use for some gaming that requires a lot of function key usage. I'm waiting on my backlit Pok3r, which I'm pretty pumped for. It's hard to imagine anything being better than the Pure, but I guess I'll find out. I'd love to get my hands on a JD40 someday as well.

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
Re: Hello there!
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 22:38:24 »
Welcome, Toast!

You've already got a great collection going on. Do you have a favorite switch? I had the hardest time picking one at the beginning!
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline InflamedToaster

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 07:40:33 »
Welcome, Toast!

You've already got a great collection going on. Do you have a favorite switch? I had the hardest time picking one at the beginning!

I had no idea what to pick in the beginning, either. I ended up choosing browns after hours (or probably days) of research/thinking, and bought my Pure just over 3 years ago. It was my first real mech, and has been my favorite since then. The switches were immediately better than anything I was using before, but it took a lot of getting used to having a 60%. After getting used to it, though, I don't think I've willingly used a full sized keyboard since.

My QFR has reds, and they're okay but there's something about them that doesn't really 'wow' me. I think it's a combination of the light weight and the lack of a bump. I basically leave it on my desktop and don't use it for much more than gaming. I ordered a Pok3r with clears and am pretty excited to get that board. If/when I decide to build a keyboard I'll probably use blues. At least then when people complain about the noise I can tell them all how awesome I am because I built it.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 04:02:37 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Nice collection :)

When the Pok3r arrives, are you going to continue putting LEDs in the Pure?

Btw I also nearly started with browns, as an all-round switch, but GH taught me better and I got blues.  Then blues again.  Then blacks.  Then reds.  Then greens.  Then Topre.  Then buckling spring.  Then clears.

My collection is not yet complete :eek:
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline InflamedToaster

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 12:41:02 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Btw I also nearly started with browns, as an all-round switch, but GH taught me better and I got blues.  Then blues again.  Then blacks.  Then reds.  Then greens.  Then Topre.  Then buckling spring.  Then clears.

Thanks!

The plan is to put LEDs in the Pure either way. It was my first mech, and I want to do some more modding on it. I'll be getting an aluminum Tex case to put it in sometime. I'm going to keep the Pok3r stock for a while, since I got the white one and really like the look of it.

I've only used MX switches, and only a few different colors. I'm sure I'll end up with a board with other switches eventually. I hope my collection is never complete, and will all the choices and ability to build something completely custom, I don't think it ever will be.  ;D

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 04:08:03 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Thanks!

The plan is to put LEDs in the Pure either way. It was my first mech, and I want to do some more modding on it. I'll be getting an aluminum Tex case to put it in sometime. I'm going to keep the Pok3r stock for a while, since I got the white one and really like the look of it.

I've only used MX switches, and only a few different colors. I'm sure I'll end up with a board with other switches eventually. I hope my collection is never complete, and will all the choices and ability to build something completely custom, I don't think it ever will be.  ;D

Having a "spare" project keyboard is a great idea!  I have one of those.  Or two.  One day I might make some progress ...

Don't worry about your keyboard collection never being complete, very few people can say they have their end game keyboard.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ