Author Topic: What's up GeekHack  (Read 2435 times)

Offline phruitpie

What's up GeekHack
« on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 19:07:38 »
Hey there GeekHack,

Second year comp sci major with a love for keyboards here. Was a closet mech owner for over 2 years (CM Storm QuickFire TK w/ browns), but only really got into mechs in June of this year.
Since then I've been active over on /r/mk, but why be a part of one community when you can be a part of two!

Aside from the QuickFire, I briefly owned a KC60 before realizing blues are not my thing.
As soon as my parts from TaoBao arrive in the next couple days, I'll be putting together my first custom 60%: Cherry MX Clears, Fat Lip TEX Acrylic, Silver GH60 Plate, GH60 Clone PCB (sorry :( wasn't around for that group buy) and PuLSE. Planning to add LEDs on the underside of the PCB, but haven't decided on a color yet. I'll definitely share pics when it's all said and done.

Also trying to get into the topre game pretty soon. Any opinions on whether or not the Type-S is really worth it, or will the various silencing mods on a stock HHKB be almost as good? Thanks guys!

Offline raymogi

Re: What's up GeekHack
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 19:12:57 »
Welcome!

Yes Type-S is worth it on its own. The stock silencing sounds really good IMO and the fact that it has a longer slider means there is no travel reduction. I also own a HHKB modded with Hypersphere's silencing rings which is modeled to be like the stock silencing pad. He sells this on ebay and I believe it's currently sold out.

Makes an identical sound to the Type-S, if not better, and I don't feel any travel reduction at all. Definitely worth considering if you're after a silenced black HHKB.
Please feed my addiction.

Offline phruitpie

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 19:20:53 »
Welcome!

Yes Type-S is worth it on its own. The stock silencing sounds really good IMO and the fact that it has a longer slider means there is no travel reduction. I also own a HHKB modded with Hypersphere's silencing rings which is modeled to be like the stock silencing pad. He sells this on ebay and I believe it's currently sold out.

Makes an identical sound to the Type-S, if not better, and I don't feel any travel reduction at all. Definitely worth considering if you're after a silenced black HHKB.

Hey man, sweet post on /r/mk yesterday! Oh man that Type-S of yours... end game stuff right there.

Thanks for the info, I'll definitely look into Hypersphere's rings. Hopefully by the time I come around to getting an HHKB they'll be back in stock again.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 01:18:13 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

If you're going to go silenced, better to get the Type-S from the go.  Saves you a lot of trouble for something that is nearly as good as a Type-S.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 29 November 2015, 06:31:17 »
Hey there GeekHack,

Second year comp sci major with a love for keyboards here. Was a closet mech owner for over 2 years (CM Storm QuickFire TK w/ browns), but only really got into mechs in June of this year.
Since then I've been active over on /r/mk, but why be a part of one community when you can be a part of two!

Aside from the QuickFire, I briefly owned a KC60 before realizing blues are not my thing.
As soon as my parts from TaoBao arrive in the next couple days, I'll be putting together my first custom 60%: Cherry MX Clears, Fat Lip TEX Acrylic, Silver GH60 Plate, GH60 Clone PCB (sorry :( wasn't around for that group buy) and PuLSE. Planning to add LEDs on the underside of the PCB, but haven't decided on a color yet. I'll definitely share pics when it's all said and done.

Also trying to get into the topre game pretty soon. Any opinions on whether or not the Type-S is really worth it, or will the various silencing mods on a stock HHKB be almost as good? Thanks guys!
'

No reason to get a topper board when you can get an Ergodox. Ergodox has better layout, more switch variety, fully programmable 7 layers, and no rubber domes.

Offline phruitpie

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 30 November 2015, 07:59:57 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

If you're going to go silenced, better to get the Type-S from the go.  Saves you a lot of trouble for something that is nearly as good as a Type-S.

Wishing I had seen this a week ago haha I just discovered how to view my post replies :p

Not sure if I want to go silenced necessarily, but I watched a few sound test vids and that quiet thock was just music to my ears. I'm alright with the stock sound as well, but that silenced sound is unmatched.

I'm actually about to go pick up my first topre board (HHKB Pro 2) from the campus mailroom. Maybe I'll end up with a type-s one day, who knows :) Thanks for the advice!

No reason to get a topper board when you can get an Ergodox. Ergodox has better layout, more switch variety, fully programmable 7 layers, and no rubber domes.

I've been meaning to try ergodox as well, but if cup rubber is as good as they say I might have to say goodbye to the mx life. My topper board is waiting patiently for me to fetch it from the mailroom, I'll know the truth very soon.

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 30 November 2015, 08:17:25 »
. My topper board is waiting patiently for me to fetch it from the mailroom,

U r ded 2 me

Offline phruitpie

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 30 November 2015, 10:04:48 »
. My topper board is waiting patiently for me to fetch it from the mailroom,

U r ded 2 me

lel I am now one with the cup rubber, topre has changed me. that ergodox isn't looking very likely now :/

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 30 November 2015, 11:22:04 »
lel I am now one with the cup rubber

Ye

Welcome and good job saving yourself more money down the road, Type-S is bae. Just get some lube like Geekhacker's V3 Lube from Zeal (most prefer the thick, myself included), and you are set forever. FOREVER.

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 30 November 2015, 12:08:07 »
Unwatch

Offline phruitpie

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 30 November 2015, 13:05:49 »
lel I am now one with the cup rubber

Ye

Welcome and good job saving yourself more money down the road, Type-S is bae. Just get some lube like Geekhacker's V3 Lube from Zeal (most prefer the thick, myself included), and you are set forever. FOREVER.

Definitely interested in picking up some lube, but that $15 zeal shipping makes me cry. Maybe I'll pick some up on mechmarket or classifieds.

Unwatch

:-[

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 03:38:59 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Wishing I had seen this a week ago haha I just discovered how to view my post replies :p

Not sure if I want to go silenced necessarily, but I watched a few sound test vids and that quiet thock was just music to my ears. I'm alright with the stock sound as well, but that silenced sound is unmatched.

I'm actually about to go pick up my first topre board (HHKB Pro 2) from the campus mailroom. Maybe I'll end up with a type-s one day, who knows :) Thanks for the advice!

Soon you will be asking how to stop all the post notifications :))

I often have my HHKB on a folded sheet of drawer liner.  This muffles the echo from the desk and makes for a much quieter keyboard.  Or I can simply remove the drawer liner and put the keyboard directly on the desk, and the thock echos through the desk much louder.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline phruitpie

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 12:46:05 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

I often have my HHKB on a folded sheet of drawer liner.  This muffles the echo from the desk and makes for a much quieter keyboard.  Or I can simply remove the drawer liner and put the keyboard directly on the desk, and the thock echos through the desk much louder.

Thanks, I'll give that try :) So far I don't mind the stock topre sound at all, it just feels so gooooooooooooooooooood.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 02:48:07 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Thanks, I'll give that try :) So far I don't mind the stock topre sound at all, it just feels so gooooooooooooooooooood.

That it does ;D