Author Topic: Asking for Suggestions for a Good Camera  (Read 7339 times)

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
Asking for Suggestions for a Good Camera
« on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 16:46:41 »
I'm getting quite sick of taking pictures with my Galaxy Note 4, my keyboards deserve better. I'm not too familiar with cameras at the moment, I'm planning on doing some research but am curious about what the members of GH would recommend. I'm not trying to spend too much money, if there are good cameras for around 200-400 that would be fantastic. Thanks for the help! :thumb:

Edit: After looking around it seems best to look in the $500-$1000 price range.
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 November 2015, 18:32:17 by Steezus »
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
Re: Asking for Suggestions for a Good Camera
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 16:56:52 »
Hey, if you really wanna learn DSLR get a canon T5

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Rebel-EF-S-18-55mm-Digital/dp/B00IB1BTWI/ref=sr_1_2?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1448319261&sr=1-2&keywords=canon+t5

It really is a good starting point and can last you a while

if you want something compact, I would suggest looking at the sony/fujifilm range
from what I know the x20 is an ok mirrorless camera

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ATM1MHO?keywords=fujifilm%20x20&qid=1448319196&ref_=sr_1_4&sr=8-4
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline trees

• I like bagels.
B.Face HHKB - B.mini - Black/Purple Custom

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 16:59:53 »

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Rebel-EF-S-18-55mm-Digital/dp/B00IB1BTWI/ref=sr_1_2?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1448319261&sr=1-2&keywords=canon+t5

if you want something compact, I would suggest looking at the sony/fujifilm range

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ATM1MHO?keywords=fujifilm%20x20&qid=1448319196&ref_=sr_1_4&sr=8-4

Here's a T5 review

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 17:02:25 »

Awesome, thank you very much. I'm not worried too much about the size, more about how good of quality the picture is. The Canon T5 looks very appealing, especially with the free accessories package as well. I figured I was going to have to spend around $400. It's hard justifying that much on a camera when that means I could get another keyboard. It needs to be done though, the T5 is definitely my top choice as of now. I'll keep looking around for a little. Thanks for the help. :thumb:

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 17:02:57 »
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=67345.msg1582012#msg1582012

Thanks I was checking that out earlier, the price seems a little too steep for me.

Offline Altis

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 17:04:59 »
Sony RX100 is the best point-and-shoot.

Mirrorless are exceptional these days, with the Sony A6000 being the best currently in my opinion. Very well reviewed and liked camera, though it benefits from spending more money on lenses (as does any interchangeable lens camera).

I have no idea why anyone would buy a DSLR anymore unless it's a Canon 5D or 1D for professional work (ie. you rely on it for money).
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 17:05:36 »
In the sub-$1K range it seems like Nikon cameras have better sensors, at least based on the shopping around I did earlier this year. I ended up buying a D7000, which is an older model but has a better sensors than the newer ones in the same price range. It just doesn't have gimmicks like Wi-Fi and GPS.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Altis

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 17:08:26 »
In the sub-$1K range it seems like Nikon cameras have better sensors, at least based on the shopping around I did earlier this year. I ended up buying a D7000, which is an older model but has a better sensors than the newer ones in the same price range. It just doesn't have gimmicks like Wi-Fi and GPS.

Many Nikons use Sony sensors, especially in that price bracket.

A6000 with kit lens for $398 on sale right now. It's the one to get:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1039057-REG/sony_ilce6000_s_a6000_digital_camera_silver.html

Small, exceptional focus, interchangeable lens, APS-C sized sensor, good price, digital viewfinder (so you don't have to bother with the optical viewfinder and learning all its complexities... what you see is what you get), wifi for remote control...
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 November 2015, 17:10:19 by Altis »
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 17:11:09 »

Mirrorless are exceptional these days, with the Sony A6000 being the best currently in my opinion. Very well reviewed and liked camera, though it benefits from spending more money on lenses (as does any interchangeable lens camera).

I have no idea why anyone would buy a DSLR anymore unless it's a Canon 5D or 1D for professional work (ie. you rely on it for money).

Can't deny RX100 is a good camera
But for me having a point and shoot camera will never justify photography ,
you can get away with a good smartphone with good camera if you want point and shoot

point and shoot means that you can capture the moment as quickly as possible anywhere, and having to carry smartphone with you all the time would be the best scenario

having a dslr really get people to think that there are many aspects that can make good photography, especially and mostly lighting
getting to know shutter, aperture , etc is another thing you'll get from holding a dslr

I'm happy with my 5D III with all the lenses, and my fujifilm x100t
but I'm also very happy with my Samsung S6, captured a lot of good moment with it too :)

Offline Altis

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 17:15:39 »

Can't deny RX100 is a good camera
But for me having a point and shoot camera will never justify photography ,
you can get away with a good smartphone with good camera if you want point and shoot

point and shoot means that you can capture the moment as quickly as possible anywhere, and having to carry smartphone with you all the time would be the best scenario

having a dslr really get people to think that there are many aspects that can make good photography, especially and mostly lighting
getting to know shutter, aperture , etc is another thing you'll get from holding a dslr

I'm happy with my 5D III with all the lenses, and my fujifilm x100t
but I'm also very happy with my Samsung S6, captured a lot of good moment with it too :)

While I kind of agree, OP didn't specify taking up the art of photography, but just wants good photos.

An RX100 will take much, much better quality photos than any smartphone. You have full control, much larger sensor, and can get into photography enough to enjoy it. Most point-and-shoots are crap, though, which is why I singled out this one.

DSLRs are too big and bulky to end up bringing anywhere, so you end up just using your smartphone anyways.

The solution is the mirrorless cameras because they have the sensors of a DSLR in the body of a compact camera, and in most ways are better than either.

And course, with mirrorless you can get all kinds of lenses and really explore photography to its fullest.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 17:18:54 »
I just watched the Canon T5 review video, at the end the reviewer recommends the Canon 100D because it has better processor, burst rate, screen, and weighs less. It seems around the same $400-$500 price range depending on lens. That seems like a good option as well. The only thing I would really ever use my camera for is to take pictures of my boards and document build logs.

Edit: The Nikon D3300 looks even more appealing than the Canon SL1
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 November 2015, 17:20:27 by Steezus »

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 17:22:43 »

While I kind of agree, OP didn't specify taking up the art of photography, but just wants good photos.

An RX100 will take much, much better quality photos than any smartphone. You have full control, much larger sensor, and can get into photography enough to enjoy it. Most point-and-shoots are crap, though, which is why I singled out this one.

DSLRs are too big and bulky to end up bringing anywhere, so you end up just using your smartphone anyways.

The solution is the mirrorless cameras because they have the sensors of a DSLR in the body of a compact camera, and in most ways are better than either.

And course, with mirrorless you can get all kinds of lenses and really explore photography to its fullest.

I do have a little bit of issue with mirrorless result though,
for me it's not sharp enough :( some details are missed out

well it's mirrorless, maybe I'm spoiled with those sharp results with Dslr

nevertheless, I'm pointing to DSLR to everyone who wanna do photography because it brings out the potential of being a photographer
I know it's risky, but like me ; not knowing any bit of photography my bro suggested my first camera to be 60d like 8 years ago
and here I am loving every little bit of it ^_^

I just watched the Canon T5 review video, at the end the reviewer recommends the Canon 100D because it has better processor, burst rate, screen, and weighs less. It seems around the same $400-$500 price range depending on lens. That seems like a good option as well. The only thing I would really ever use my camera for is to take pictures of my boards and document build logs.

Edit: The Nikon D3300 looks even more appealing than the Canon SL1

Yeah, but I'm sticking with T5 due to price range, with 100D you'll spend another 50$ more
and that's what happening in the camera industry, pay a bit more to get a bit more
and it goes on like that til the top tier

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 17:49:21 »
I agree most point and shoots are pointless these days. Just use a good phone camera.

The best mirrorless camera now is Sony. But expensive.

I love my Olympus mirrorless bodies with Pana-Leica or adapted vintage lenses. You can put together a fantastic manual focus system on a budget with a used Olympus E-M5 and some old Konica Hexanon primes.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 17:52:29 »
I'm really liking the Nikon 3300D, overall better specs than the Canon T5. I'll probably wait til Black Friday and see if I can catch a deal or ask for some gift cards fot Christmas. Still going to be looking around though. Depending on timing I may treat myself and spend even more. Looks like around $800-$1000 is average for a pretty good camera.

Offline Spopepro

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 17:59:33 »
You mention both canon and nikon, and it looks like you are leaning towards DSLRs, so it merits mention: your first (D)SLR buys you into an ecosystem.  This is a good thing!  You can spend money on really good lenses that will be with you for likely your whole life when you can, and bodies will come and go.  So choose wisely, and probably not strictly based on what gets you the best body in your budget at this moment.  I'd also recommend a kit that has a really good prime lens (fixed, about 50mm) rather than a junky zoom with a tiny aperture.  Honestly, move your feet, crop in post, and you don't need a zoom.  The 50mm will take much better pictures, and something like a 50mm f/2 is a lifetime lens. (I just did some looking, and the T5 + the 50mm f/1.8 is about $460, and way better than the kits available at this range for the bodies mentioned).

Now... all that said.  I think the best camera in this general price range is the olympus OM-D.  Yes, the sensor is a little smaller, and yeah, you won't be starting in on a lens collection, but you get a very well built camera that has weather-proofing that is typically only found on pro DSLRs and a selection of some very good lenses.  It's what I would suggest to a beginner who wants to take really good pictures, not worry too much about the gear, and doesn't have plans to make photography a hobby onto itself.

Offline Altis

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 18:26:11 »
I do have a little bit of issue with mirrorless result though,
for me it's not sharp enough :( some details are missed out

well it's mirrorless, maybe I'm spoiled with those sharp results with Dslr

nevertheless, I'm pointing to DSLR to everyone who wanna do photography because it brings out the potential of being a photographer
I know it's risky, but like me ; not knowing any bit of photography my bro suggested my first camera to be 60d like 8 years ago
and here I am loving every little bit of it ^_^

Mirrorless not as sharp? It really depends on which one. A Sony A7RII at 42MP full-frame (with good glass, and in-body image stabilization) is sharper than anything short of a 5DS Mk3, sharper than the standard 5D Mk3. Granted, it's in the same price range.

The A6000 is exceptionally sharp for APS-C sensor and is the same sensor used in many Nikon DSRLs. I'm not sure how DSLRs can be more sharp when the main difference is the mirror itself.

In addition to being smaller and lighter, the digital viewfinder is a lot easier to learn and use. Focus peaking (highlights in-focus edges) makes inexpensive manual lenses easy and fun to use.

I don't think you can do better than the A6000 for the kind of money OP is talking about. Easy to use, easy to carry, and very good image quality.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 18:38:05 »
Price range has changed a bit, I'm not really restricted by money but was just hoping it be around $200-$400. After looking into cameras more it seems it would more beneficial to spend around the $500-$1000 price range. Thank you very much for all your suggestions, I've been keeping a tab of all the recommended cameras and have been looking into them.

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 19:05:57 »
Price range has changed a bit, I'm not really restricted by money but was just hoping it be around $200-$400. After looking into cameras more it seems it would more beneficial to spend around the $500-$1000 price range. Thank you very much for all your suggestions, I've been keeping a tab of all the recommended cameras and have been looking into them.
And I'll be watching your flickr account closely for the result :)

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 23:18:08 »
And I'll be watching your flickr account closely for the result :)

Haha thanks, I believe I will probably retake a lot of the pictures on my flickr account.

Offline jamster

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 09:49:08 »

Nobody seems to have asked you what your goals are with a camera, it's very hard to make a sensible recommendation without your requirements.

If all you want to do is take photos of keyboards, you could still get away with using a smartphone camera and a depth of field filter, and the photos will look good.

For general good quality happy snaps, a decent point and shoot (Canon G7X is my preference, imo way better ergonomics than the Sony RX100 models.

If you want to learn photography, or take portraits, low light or sports photography, a DSLR of some flavour.

But really, decent photos mostly boil down to skill and experience, acquired through thinking and practice. It's not the camera. One of my pro photographer friends shoots with anything from a Four Thirds Olympus that fits in a pocket to a pro level Nikon.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 10:03:03 »
The Samsung Galaxy S6 camera is awesome, it comes with a phone too.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 11:47:17 »

Nobody seems to have asked you what your goals are with a camera, it's very hard to make a sensible recommendation without your requirements.

If all you want to do is take photos of keyboards, you could still get away with using a smartphone camera and a depth of field filter, and the photos will look good.

For general good quality happy snaps, a decent point and shoot (Canon G7X is my preference, imo way better ergonomics than the Sony RX100 models.

If you want to learn photography, or take portraits, low light or sports photography, a DSLR of some flavour.

But really, decent photos mostly boil down to skill and experience, acquired through thinking and practice. It's not the camera. One of my pro photographer friends shoots with anything from a Four Thirds Olympus that fits in a pocket to a pro level Nikon.

My main goal is take photos of my keyboards and build logs but if I'm going to do something, I want to make sure it's the best it can be. I have the Note 4 and it can take pretty decent pictures but my phone was one of many that has a faulty canera in it and can rarely focus. I was looking at GL1TCH3D's classified, a Panasonic G5 body and Panasonic leica 45mm Macro lens for quite the reasonable price. I'm waiting to see what comes up black friday but that is my #1 pick for now.

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 11:49:40 »

My main goal is take photos of my keyboards and build logs but if I'm going to do something, I want to make sure it's the best it can be. I have the Note 4 and it can take pretty decent pictures but my phone was one of many that has a faulty canera in it and can rarely focus. I was looking at GL1TCH3D's classified, a Panasonic G5 body and Panasonic leica 45mm Macro lens for quite the reasonable price. I'm waiting to see what comes up black friday but that is my #1 pick for now.

Bro has a Nikon D90 up for sale that's very reasonably priced, and the D90 is a solid camera as well. The lens alone is $600 new...

Link here: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=67345.0
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 November 2015, 11:53:07 by dgneo »

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 12:24:58 »

Bro has a Nikon D90 up for sale that's very reasonably priced, and the D90 is a solid camera as well. The lens alone is $600 new...

Link here: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=67345.0

Yeah I was looking at that as well, GL1TCH3D is offering a nicer lens but an older body, I can always upgrade the body later on but the lens is worth $900 new. I'm also planning on upgrading my audio and monitor so I have a lot of spending ahead of me, a few bucks saved here means more elsewhere. :)

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 12:26:16 »
Yeah I was looking at that as well, GL1TCH3D is offering a nicer lens but an older body, I can always upgrade the body later on but the lens is worth $900 new. I'm also planning on upgrading my audio and monitor so I have a lot of spending ahead of me, a few bucks saved here means more elsewhere. :)

Spending the money on a nice lens is definitely the way to go  :thumb:

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 12:29:32 »

Spending the money on a nice lens is definitely the way to go  :thumb:

Yeah I'm very excited to get some high def pictures of boards finally, no matter how nice the board is it can be bottle-necked by the picture quality.

Offline jamster

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 19:48:44 »

Makes sense then. Basically it'll be down to the lens then- preferably something prime, macro and with the widest aperture possible. The body is basically an afterthought.

One consideration that I think as not been mentioned is that when comparing different formats of camera is that the same aperture number on a bigger sensor gives you shallower depth of field. So an f1.8 on a point and shoot isn't as shallow as a 1.8 on 4/3, which in turn is not as shallow as 1.8 on APS-C and full frame.

Edit: Here is a fun comparison tool. Not so useful to use as it only compares bodies using a standard lens and distance, but it does illustrate sensor size/resolution limits across bodies. For taking photos of keyboards, resolution isn't such a big deal.
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 November 2015, 20:37:31 by jamster »

Offline Spopepro

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 22:26:02 »

Makes sense then. Basically it'll be down to the lens then- preferably something prime, macro and with the widest aperture possible. The body is basically an afterthought.

One consideration that I think as not been mentioned is that when comparing different formats of camera is that the same aperture number on a bigger sensor gives you shallower depth of field. So an f1.8 on a point and shoot isn't as shallow as a 1.8 on 4/3, which in turn is not as shallow as 1.8 on APS-C and full frame.

Edit: Here is a fun comparison tool. Not so useful to use as it only compares bodies using a standard lens and distance, but it does illustrate sensor size/resolution limits across bodies. For taking photos of keyboards, resolution isn't such a big deal.

It gets even more fun! Depth of field won't be the same for a 35mm f/1.8 and a 50mm f/1.8 on the same body. Why? Well the reason apertures are listed as f/xx is because it's a ratio with the focal length. So a 50mm at f/2 has an aperture diameter of 25mm. This is actually the real reason why sensor size has an impact: the effective focal length on cropped sensors (field of view) is not the same as full frames.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 23:32:16 »
Black Friday special on a refurbed T5i with the kit lens.

EOS 5Ti refurbished kit

This would get you a little $$ to put toward a decent prime lens. 
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline Ralph Furley

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 00:15:42 »
Sony RX100
A gently used mark 2 can easily be had for $400. A fixed system can move you from daydreaming about lens specs to getting out into the real world actually taking snaps. Maybe not best for OP but it is ideal for those on a budget and whose creativity flourishes with a little, pardon the pun, focus; I strongly second the RX 100s.

You can always sell, trade or gift an RX100. Unless it really doesn't suit the shots you want to take the RX has much to offer before you've exhausted its potential. Try one out to see what it can do in terms of DOF in close up shots. You'll be pleasantly surprised.

Have a great time exploring the wonderful world of pinholes and glass but bear in mind that in terms of a potentially expensive hobby keyboards doesn't come within a long zoom of photography.

Offline Spopepro

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 01:38:02 »
Have a great time exploring the wonderful world of pinholes and glass but bear in mind that in terms of a potentially expensive hobby keyboards doesn't come within a long zoom of photography.

I got excited, but then I realized you probably aren't talking about ambrotypes. 
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 November 2015, 01:40:26 by Spopepro »

Offline jaffers

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 02:30:43 »
Grab a Nikon D3300 body, and a pancake lens and you should be good to go for keyboard photo's. Just look around for something with a ****ing retardedly low aperture, looks great. I don't know prices but just the body for Nikon's should be cheap. Grap a 50mm if you have the money, its also a pretty versatile lens.

Also on the note of point and shoot. Yeah a phone camera might be good for a single photo, but good luck trying to take video of any reasonable quality. Sony has some decent camera's in that department, the power shot is pretty good. S120 I think is a decent one.

:)

Offline Homenubbie

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 13:55:37 »
Consider used.  I have a Nikon D60 and like the kit lens.

Offline filphil

• One day I hope to find a love like JD and Turk
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 14:10:09 »
There seems to be some discussion about mirrorless and DSLR.  The usual suggestion with mirrorless is if you're more likely to leave your camera at home because of size then pick up a mirrorless camera.  That said mirrorless cameras are in their zone when you pair them with a nice prime lens for a compact package. 

DSLRs still have the advantage for autofocus tracking(important if you do sports/wildlife). 
Mirrorless cameras have an electronic viewfinder which adjust exposure and wb in front of your eyes.  I personally love it on my x-t1.

The best suggestion I can make is you should rent/handle the cameras before buying them.
In the $500 price range I would recommend:

Refurbished Nikon D5300 with kit lens - You might not ever move away from this body, tbh.  The kit lens is dirt cheap for only $50 or so more.  What this lens will aid you in is deciding your preferred focal length(wide,
standard, 35mm or 50mm equivalent).

Sony a6000 - Probably the best bang for the buck mirrorless in this price range. 

Just know that the body is going to be the least expensive part of the equation.   Also if any of this is foreign just ask for clarification.  Oh and buy a tripod. 

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 14:45:51 »
There seems to be some discussion about mirrorless and DSLR.  The usual suggestion with mirrorless is if you're more likely to leave your camera at home because of size then pick up a mirrorless camera.  That said mirrorless cameras are in their zone when you pair them with a nice prime lens for a compact package. 

DSLRs still have the advantage for autofocus tracking(important if you do sports/wildlife). 
Mirrorless cameras have an electronic viewfinder which adjust exposure and wb in front of your eyes.  I personally love it on my x-t1.

The best suggestion I can make is you should rent/handle the cameras before buying them.
In the $500 price range I would recommend:

Refurbished Nikon D5300 with kit lens - You might not ever move away from this body, tbh.  The kit lens is dirt cheap for only $50 or so more.  What this lens will aid you in is deciding your preferred focal length(wide,
standard, 35mm or 50mm equivalent).

Sony a6000 - Probably the best bang for the buck mirrorless in this price range. 

Just know that the body is going to be the least expensive part of the equation.   Also if any of this is foreign just ask for clarification.  Oh and buy a tripod.

Thank you very much for the advice. I was looking into the refurbished d5300 and it does look like a pretty good deal. I've been trying to do some research and listen to what everybody has to say, it seems one of the key features is to have a good lens. Because of that I really feel like GL1TCH3D's Panasonic G5 body and Panasonic leica 45mm Macro lens is a good option. Yes the camera body is old but the lens is really nice, I wouldn't mind having to buy a new body a year or so down the road and keeping the lens. Another reason why I like this deal is that I have been showed multiple pictures that have been taken from the exact camera and they look wonderful, good enough for what I'll be using it for.

My Aunt is really into photography as well, I'll be seeing her today so I'll ask to see if she has any equipment I could borrow or buy off of her.

I was planning on definitely buying a tripod and possibly a light box, although I don't know how much room I will have for everything in my apartment.

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 18:20:17 »
I bought a Nikon D3300 earlier this year. It's fantastic, and the only thing I wish was different was that it have a flip-out LCD, but that's what the D5300 is for :P , sadly I am still rocking the 18-55mm, would like to get a 55-200mm next as I want a telephoto lens for some wide angle shots outside.

Don't worry too much about the body. Get an entry level DSLR like the D3300, or Canon T5, and learn the basics about photography first like aperture, exposure, white balance, learning how to analyze your environments, etc. You want to save your $$$ later for better lenses, and you can invest in the type of stuff you'd like to photograph.

Go to Best Buy or something and play around with the cameras. I did this and ended up going Nikon because I found it more user-friendly to me, the Canon T5/T5i felt a bit convoluted to use.

I would check out that D90 Bro Caps has for sale, it's a phenomenal deal, and you get a fantastic lens as well.
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 November 2015, 18:22:45 by jerue »

Offline geekhack360

« Reply #37 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 01:32:35 »
I haven't actually used one, but I'm also in the market for a DSLR and the Pentax K-S2 is interesting to me because it's weathersealed (important here with all the rain).

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #38 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 10:52:30 »
I haven't actually used one, but I'm also in the market for a DSLR and the Pentax K-S2 is interesting to me because it's weathersealed (important here with all the rain).

Like I said I, I'll only be using a camera to document my build logs and take photos of my keyboards. I have no interest in whether it is weathersealed or not.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #39 on: Sun, 29 November 2015, 00:26:49 »
If anybody is interested in an update I ended up going with Bro's bundle. I'm very excited to be getting a camera, I'm planning on retaking all the pictures of my boards. :thumb:

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #40 on: Sun, 29 November 2015, 08:20:08 »
I have both a Nilon D7000 and a Nikon D600. The latter I got used and is one of the best purchases I've made. I shoot with a Nikon 50mm f/1.4 lens and a Tamron 90mm f/2.8 macro lens for the most part.

The D600 can use all of the Nikon 35mm lenses made in the past 50 years or so, I pick up all sorts of neat lenses from Goodwill. Well, the D7000 can too, with a crop factor.

Offline Homenubbie

« Reply #41 on: Sun, 29 November 2015, 09:25:56 »
If anybody is interested in an update I ended up going with Bro's bundle. I'm very excited to be getting a camera, I'm planning on retaking all the pictures of my boards. :thumb:

Congratulations!  Photography is a wonderful hobby.