Author Topic: Teensy on Phantom  (Read 1331 times)

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
Teensy on Phantom
« on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 06:54:08 »
Was messing with my Phantom last night, and noticed that the mini-USB port on the Teensy is broke (one of the pins is missing, no idea how it happened), and the everything is soldered up. Looks like I'm going to have to take the entire board apart to solder on a new one. Can anyone confirm?

FYI, I bought the board with everything soldered on already.

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline admiralvorian

• DIY
Re: Teensy on Phantom
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 11:19:48 »
post some pictures!

The good thing about USB is that it's only 4 pins. You may be able to bridge the broken pin on the teensy, or you may be able to clip the connector off and wire up a new one. Both of those are easier than desoldering the whole teensy imo.

but seriously, pics.
Darude Status:
☐ Not Sandstorm
☑ Sandstorm                                               wts wtt wtb

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 11:29:14 »
Yes, don't try to desolder the Teensy from the Phantom PCB unless you absolutely can't fix it any other way. It's a recipe for disaster, speaking from experience.

If you do attempt it, be prepared to order a replacement Phantom PCB and Teensy both. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 07:33:10 »
Photo as requested. jd, I believe you actually soldered this controller on, if not the entire board, don't recall offhand what the seller said exactly :)

I've tried getting a small wire to stick in there for the 5th contact, but haven't had any luck.

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 07:34:02 »
That photo is a bit darker than I remembered - there should be 5 contacts, and the first one is missing.

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline bpiphany

• bpiph is a special type of crazy. //mkawa
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 06:16:16 »
If it's only the leftmost one that is missing you can perhaps fix it relatively easy. That should be +5V. If you splice that out from the cable you can solder it directly to the Vcc pin on the Teensy.