Author Topic: Hellurr from beautiful Colorado  (Read 1541 times)

Offline roadkill54

Hellurr from beautiful Colorado
« on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 10:42:56 »
Before I'm asked; Yes weed being legal is awesome  :'(

I've been collecting keyboards for upwards of a year now. My first was a ducky shine with mx browns. Then I met topre. Love at first type. Realforce 87U 45g. Then 55g. Then variable. Just recently acquired an HHKB pro 2, dental banned it, lubed it, 55g dome swapped it. Perfection. I always kept my side switch though, MX. Bought a CM quickfire err one of the variations that doesn't have LED's. Ergo cleared it with 60g springs. It's really nice. Very happy with it.

I just ordered most of the parts for a winkyless b.87. It'll be my first custom dyi'ish build ever. I thought now would be a good time to integrate myself into the community as I'm doing this. Also ordered some 55g springs and purple Zealio swtiches for it. 60g was nice but I enjoy a slightly lighter tap. Anyone know if the zealio switch will have trouble rebounding with 55g springs?

I am major OCD and have to get it perfect the first time so if anyone has any tips, pointers, what not to do's it would be greatly appreciated  ;D

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Hellurr from beautiful Colorado
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 04:07:44 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Sounds like you know what you're doing already :)

Di you have a favourite keyboard out of that lot?

Also where did you get the 55g domes from for the HHKB swap?

Have a look through the making stuff together section - there's lots of threads about building keyboards, build logs, soldering tips and so on.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline roadkill54

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 11:14:43 »

making stuff together section - there's lots of threads about building keyboards, build logs, soldering tips and so on.

Thanks for the welcome.

My favorite would still have to be my 87U 55g. Just haven't acclimated to the HHKB layout yet. The control location throws me off every time.

I got the 55g domes from a 87U donor. It was a white one I purchased off reddit. Had no caps and the pcb seemed to be fried so I got it super cheap.

I still have much to learn though. Haven't even gotten my hands on an artisan cap yet. Or an Alu cased korean custom. One day, one day.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 11:17:46 »
How beautiful
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 12:16:49 »
How beautiful

Another one for you demik
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 03:51:36 »

making stuff together section - there's lots of threads about building keyboards, build logs, soldering tips and so on.

Thanks for the welcome.

My favorite would still have to be my 87U 55g. Just haven't acclimated to the HHKB layout yet. The control location throws me off every time.

I got the 55g domes from a 87U donor. It was a white one I purchased off reddit. Had no caps and the pcb seemed to be fried so I got it super cheap.

I still have much to learn though. Haven't even gotten my hands on an artisan cap yet. Or an Alu cased korean custom. One day, one day.

That's fantastic being able to get an 87U cheaply (I assume you got a really good deal on it is the PCB was fried).

Once you get used to the Ctrl location on the HHKB, you might find yourself wanting to swap the control key to the same location on your other keyboards.  In fact AFAIK the RealForce comes with replacement Ctrl and Caps keys so you CAN swap them.  And more keycap sets these days are including the alternative keys for other switches.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ