Author Topic: Hello GH  (Read 1881 times)

Offline Jeftha

Hello GH
« on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 11:02:17 »
Hello Geekhack,

New member here. Got into mechanical keyboards about a year ago. It started with a DAS Professional 4 with Cherry MX blue switches. Awesome keyboard, but after not too long I noticed my keycaps were starting to get shiny. This is how I found out about ABS vs PBT and it led me deeper into the realm of mechanical keyboards. After doing some more research, I was determined to get my hands on a PBT doubleshot set.

Living in Europe it wasn't too easy to find a set like that and avoid high shipping. Eventually, I set my eyes on a Tai Hao PBT doubleshot set which I had found on Ebay. Nice looking set of keys for a low price. On my quest for a durable set of keycaps I discovered Massdrop as well, but at the time nothing of interest was for sale. I signed up anyway. Perhaps in the future I would find something worth my money.

In the meantime, I had learned to touch type fairly well and I felt confident enough to try out a blank set of keycaps to further improve my touch typing abilities. My subscription to Massdrop proved to be worth it, because a drop appeared for a Ducky set. Blank, thick PBT in cream cheese and green. I joined the group buy without hesitation.

Like most drops, it took a while before the box arrived at my doorstep, but it was well worth the wait. This set felt better than the Tai Hao set, probably because Tai Hao makes thinner PBT caps. I think it also looked a little bit better. The clean look of blank keycaps stands out more compared to printed caps. Initially, I had some trouble with typing on blank keys, especially the number row, but after sufficient practice this disappeared.

Because Cherry MX switches allow for a better typing experience than standard rubber dome boards, it felt as if I would never be able to return to a cheap rubber dome keyboard. So, every time I was forced to type on a cheap keyboard, for example at the office or university, I was slightly annoyed at the mushy and inconsistent feel. This started a new quest. Finding a 60%, portable keyboard that would allow me to have a high quality typing experience wherever I went. After research, I had narrowed it down to the Vortex Pok3r and the more expensive HHKB Pro 2. For those of you who haven't seen my signature yet, that's where you'll find my decision. (I took the template from https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=19113.0 and edited the bottom two rows, top bezel and colored the ESC and CTRL, so that it represents my board more accurately. Thanks sealcouch.)

I once read somewhere that you might as well buy the HHKB Pro 2 right at the start, because you'll end up wanting one anyway and he was right, at least in my case. I was drawn to the minimalistic look and the very pleasant 'thock' Topre boards are known for. Of course I didn't know what it felt like, but I was willing to take the plunge. Once again, Ebay was my best bet, because I found a Japanese shop there that shipped for free. I would only have to pay import duties that way.

And I was not disappointed. Topre feels and sounds great. So great that it became my new daily driver and my year old DAS Professional 4 is now with a family member. The layout on the HHKB took some getting used to, but I actually like it now. I barely have to move my hands away from the home row, which is great for long typing sessions. I spiced it up a little with the blue ESC and the red CTRL keyset and a Pexon cable.

When comparing Topre sounds, I came across a video of a dental band modded HHKB and I found the sound even more pleasant than the stock one. I decided I wanted this too, so I ended up buying some dental bands and modding my HHKB a few months after purchase. While it's true that it sounds even better now and is much more quiet, I'm not sure about the reduced keytravel. It feels a little off.

However, I'm not going to remove the mod, because I set my eyes on a new daily driver: Realforce 87U 55G. It returned on Massdrop with 4 PBT spacebars a few days ago. I read a lot of good things about 55G Topre; "King switch", "Thock heaven", etc. Because I'm more familiar with Topre now, I felt confident enough to join the group buy and I told myself that this is the last keyboard I'll buy for a while.

And that is where I stand today. I plan on using the 87U 55G as my daily driver at home and I will use my HHKB for when I'm at the office, university or wherever I might find myself needing a keyboard for a longer period of time.

I now realize that this intro turned into a longer piece of text than I had originally planned, but I'm hoping that some of you have taken the time to read everything up to this point. Looking forward to my time in this community.

Jeftha

My HHKB Pro 2:
118470-0

Realforce 87U 55g             HHKB Pro 2 (dental band)

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
Re: Hello GH
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 12:11:58 »
WELCOME HHKBROTHER. CONGRATS ON HITTING NIRVANA QUICKLY.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Jeftha

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 12:18:32 »
WELCOME HHKBROTHER. CONGRATS ON HITTING NIRVANA QUICKLY.

Thanks! Really like my HHKB. Hoping that I'll enjoy my RF 87U just as much or even more. I'm already looking for colored RF keycaps.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 12:31:40 »
55g RF is truly one of the best keyboards out. Pbt caps, plate mounted switches. Just a great experience period.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Jeftha

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 13:00:27 »
55g RF is truly one of the best keyboards out. Pbt caps, plate mounted switches. Just a great experience period.

Yeah I heard nothing but greatness about it. Can't wait for it to arrive, but estimated shipping date on Massdrop is somewhere in January I think. Oh well...

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 29 November 2015, 00:11:29 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

As demik said, starting at the top with HHKB :)

Although the 55g RealForce might spoil you a bit, I wonder whether you will be doing a dome swap on your HHKB ...

The sliders on a Type S HHKB are a little thinner to allow for the factory silencing thingies, hence why you have reduced key travel with standard sliders and dental bands.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Jeftha

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 29 November 2015, 09:02:02 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Although the 55g RealForce might spoil you a bit, I wonder whether you will be doing a dome swap on your HHKB ...

The sliders on a Type S HHKB are a little thinner to allow for the factory silencing thingies, hence why you have reduced key travel with standard sliders and dental bands.

Thanks! I'm not sure whether or not I'm going to a dome swap. I plan on using the 87U from home and take my HHKB with me when I go somewhere else, so I'll be using both boards actively. I think that if I do a dome swap, my HHKB will be superior in both feel and sound. I want to avoid that, because I don't want to end up having bought 87U just for the domes. I bought it to type on it, so that's what I'm going to do.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 30 November 2015, 03:54:03 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Thanks! I'm not sure whether or not I'm going to a dome swap. I plan on using the 87U from home and take my HHKB with me when I go somewhere else, so I'll be using both boards actively. I think that if I do a dome swap, my HHKB will be superior in both feel and sound. I want to avoid that, because I don't want to end up having bought 87U just for the domes. I bought it to type on it, so that's what I'm going to do.

Some good ideas there.  The HHKB is excellent for portability as it is so light.  Just be careful when plugging the cable in and out as those sockets don't last forever, even on HHKB.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ