Author Topic: I lubed my HHKB spacebar stabilizers  (Read 8722 times)

Offline Jeftha

I lubed my HHKB spacebar stabilizers
« on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 18:21:37 »
Just want to share my story, since this is the first time I lubed a keyboard. I'm still pretty new to the mechanical keyboard world and I've only had my HHKB (dental band modded) for a few months. Used to own a DAS Pro 4 MX blues.

This is how my HHKB spacebar used to sound: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B24lbkpxqzHaa3JHbnlnRmRrMXc A very annoying rattling sound. Especially on the right side.

It was horrible and it completely ruined the experience for me. I had tried reseating the spacebar in different ways, dissassembled the board to try and find out where the sound was coming from, but I was unable to figure it out. At one point I was about to just accept that my HHKB would now sound like this forever, but I couldn't let it go. So after some more research I found that perhaps lube would solve the issue. I bought some CRC Di-Electric grease.

I just took it apart and applied some lube to the stabilizer wire and clips and this is what it sounds like now: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B24lbkpxqzHaVmZrWUticm5BY2c

It sounds amazing again. I'm back into "Thock Heaven".
« Last Edit: Sat, 28 November 2015, 18:24:10 by Jeftha »

Realforce 87U 55g             HHKB Pro 2 (dental band)

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
Re: I lubed my HHKB spacebar stabilizers
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 18:28:17 »
Welcome to GeekHack and thank you so much for sharing. The two videos really illustrate the difference and I have to agree that it is much improved-- nice job!

When things slow down, I hope to lube and dental band my HHKB in the hopes that it sounds much like what lubing your spacebar did. Have you given any thought to lubing your whole board?

Offline Jeftha

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 18:35:13 »
Welcome to GeekHack and thank you so much for sharing. The two videos really illustrate the difference and I have to agree that it is much improved-- nice job!

When things slow down, I hope to lube and dental band my HHKB in the hopes that it sounds much like what lubing your spacebar did. Have you given any thought to lubing your whole board?

Thanks. The difference is amazing and it sounds so much better. No more annoying rattling sound. I find that a dental band modded HHKB sounds so much better than a stock one, but the feel is different. The impact on keytravel is noticeable, but I'm leaving the bands on, because to me the sound difference outweighs the change in keytravel.

I'm not sure what lubing my entire board would do? Will it change the sound  or feel? Or both? I don't think I can use the same lube for the other keys. This lube is very thick and I expect that the keys would get sticky.

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 18:43:38 »

Thanks. The difference is amazing and it sounds so much better. No more annoying rattling sound. I find that a dental band modded HHKB sounds so much better than a stock one, but the feel is different. The impact on keytravel is noticeable, but I'm leaving the bands on, because to me the sound difference outweighs the change in keytravel.

I'm not sure what lubing my entire board would do? Will it change the sound  or feel? Or both? I don't think I can use the same lube for the other keys. This lube is very thick and I expect that the keys would get sticky.
Just search in google "lubing topre" and buy a krytox mix lube from techkeys.com get the thick one and you're good to go. Lubing topre makes it quieter and remove slight snappiness. Lubing topre and installing a hypersphere silencing ring will make it a type s and there is no upstroke sound just the thock and the ring didn't change the keytravel at all. Too bad we have to wait until january for the ring.

Offline Jeftha

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 18:50:33 »

Just search in google "lubing topre" and buy a krytox mix lube from techkeys.com get the thick one and you're good to go. Lubing topre makes it quieter and remove slight snappiness. Lubing topre and installing a hypersphere silencing ring will make it a type s and there is no upstroke sound just the thock and the ring didn't change the keytravel at all. Too bad we have to wait until january for the ring.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to look into Krytox. Also can't wait for a silencing ring that doesn't impact keytravel. Would love to mod my HHKB with those type of rings.

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 18:51:25 »

What's a hypersphere silencing ring? Were they the rings being sold on ebay?

Are they sold out?

Offline raymogi

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 18:54:22 »
What's a hypersphere silencing ring? Were they the rings being sold on ebay?

Are they sold out?

Yeah they were on ebay a month ago I think? Just keep an eye on Hypersphere's thread, he usually announces when new batch is coming up.
Please feed my addiction.

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 21:03:49 »
thru waitin for teh ring to make god tier hhkb with 55g  :p

Offline retrochick

• goodbye my wallet
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 21:26:55 »
I have a bottle of krytox 104 that I used to lube my vintage blacks and hhkb sliders + spacebar. Sounds and feels like heaven. Can't go back.

Cherry is love. Topre is life. ~raymogi

Offline Jeftha

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 22:24:55 »
I have a bottle of krytox 104 that I used to lube my vintage blacks and hhkb sliders + spacebar. Sounds and feels like heaven. Can't go back.

You used the same lube for the stabilizers and the sliders? The lube I used for my spacebar stabilizers is very thick and sticky.

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 22:32:41 »

You used the same lube for the stabilizers and the sliders? The lube I used for my spacebar stabilizers is very thick and sticky.
I think he uses the mix of krytox 206 with that 104

Offline retrochick

• goodbye my wallet
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 22:48:41 »
krytox 104 is thin lube. It is not mixed with anything else.

Cherry is love. Topre is life. ~raymogi

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 23:03:40 »
krytox 104 is thin lube. It is not mixed with anything else.
Try the thick one bro they say the thick one is best for topre but not like 206 thick

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 29 November 2015, 00:07:34 »
thru waitin for teh ring to make god tier hhkb with 55g 
What if I already had a type-s hhkb?
Would the silencers be just as good?

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 29 November 2015, 00:10:54 »
Yep the ring on type s are 0.2 mm and the silencer are 0.1 mm just as good or might be better

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 29 November 2015, 11:11:59 »
Yep the ring on type s are 0.2 mm and the silencer are 0.1 mm just as good or might be better
If the special silencers are .01, I think they might be better, right?