Author Topic: Hello there!  (Read 1362 times)

Offline Burt Macklin

Hello there!
« on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 20:14:36 »
Hi everyone!

Just recently I got myself a Filco Ninja, it's great and those browns practically type themselves.
Anyways, happy to be here, and looking forward to make that Filco even more pretty (= spend probably too much money on, basically, a small pieces of plastic).
 :cool:

Cheers!

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
Re: Hello there!
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 20:18:08 »
Macklin you son of a *****....

Welcome to GH!

Offline nickheller

• Cherry ML life
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • hickneller.com
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 20:18:31 »
Welcome! The Filco's are nice boards, now you just need to replace caps  :)

Also,
More
Macklin, you son of a *****...

Offline Burt Macklin

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 20:39:19 »
FBI!

Yep, as it turned out - my typing skills are quite embarassing, so I've already switched some keys with top printed ones.
I'm planning to overhaul everything with some nice PBT set, once I manage to find a decent ISO set that I like.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 03:08:20 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

The Filco is a great solid keyboard - should last you for years :)

Keycaps can be expensive - are there any in particular that caught your eye?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Burt Macklin

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 12:14:15 »
I saw a few that seemed mostly nice, but there's always something that doesn't feel right - some of the colors, font, price, etc.
I'm in no rush, though, so WASD custom keycaps will do until I find the right PBT set.

Also, I'd like to get an artisan or two, just for fun, but they're always gone too fast;
being new at this game is kinda tough  ;D

Btw, here's how my Filco looks now, if someone's interested:
https://imgur.com/a/46SH6

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 03:57:52 »
That almost looks like a Dolch set on there!

The yellow WASD is a nice touch :D

Have patience with artisans - most sales are open to most members, although occasionally restricted to 1 month's membership or, more rarely, a minimum number of posts.

Join as many sales as you can for artisans that you want, and don't be too upset if you don't win at first.

Some people get lucky and win several in their first sale, others enter a few sales before they meet with success.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Burt Macklin

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 01:28:44 »
Working on it - Furt, here I come  ;D

Anyways, keycaps:
I'm looking into Tai Hao (Blood Red) ISO set, should I go for it?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 13 December 2015, 03:59:43 »
Working on it - Furt, here I come  ;D

Anyways, keycaps:
I'm looking into Tai Hao (Blood Red) ISO set, should I go for it?

Tai Hao are quite reasonable sets, consistent legends, consistent quality across the board.  I have a few sets, and no problems with any of them.