Author Topic: Ducky Shine 5 Stabilizers  (Read 5137 times)

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
Ducky Shine 5 Stabilizers
« on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 11:09:12 »
Anyone who owns Ducky Shine 5 knows if they adopt to the stock clipped Cherry stabilizer yet?

As shown in Leopopld FC900R and Archiss Progress Retro Touch.

Notice the grey stem as oppose to the regular black stem.

I want to try the Ducky exclusive Linear MX White (I'm assuming it's 1 year contract like Corsair RGB originally was), but I can't stand the stock Cherry stabilizer so depending on situation this might be a dealbreaker for me.  :(

119155-0
« Last Edit: Sat, 05 December 2015, 11:11:08 by Hyde »

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Ducky Shine 5 Stabilizers
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 11:18:54 »
I believe ducky has been using there own clipped cherry stabilizer version since shine 3.

That's what a former ducky employee told me.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 15:32:07 »
Though I've tried my friend's Shine 3 and it doesn't feel like it's clipped though, I can still feel the mushiness.

Can anyone who owns a Ducky confirm?

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline Hyde

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 16:10:49 »
Anyone?  Even if you just press on your spacebar/shift/enter and tell me if it's mushy or not would help.  :P

Offline ileben

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 16:51:49 »
Compare the stabs in these two videos:
(around 2:30, sorry im on mobile, cant link by time)

In the first video the stabs have little "feet" sticking out that land first, and force the plastic above to bend and cushion the blow. It is easy to imagine how clipping that will remove some of the mushiness.

In the second video, the entire bottom of the stabilizer housing is flat. I've tried performing a clip mod on that and obviously it made almost no difference - the stabilizer still felt mushy.

I am not entirely sure what they mean by "preclipped stabs" but if thats meant to be what you see in the second video, the from my experience that does not guarantee the stabilizer not feeling mushy.

Besides that, the stabilizers could also rattle. You can fix that with thick grease, but in case of cherry mx stabs that will mean opening the case and desoldering the stabilized switches first.
RF 87 55g (silenced) | FC660C (silenced) | Unicomp Ultra Classic | Filco MJ2 Brown | Matias Mini Quiet Pro

Offline Hyde

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 21:57:54 »
Actually the first video shows the plate mount cherry stabilizer while the second video shows the PCB mount cherry stabilizer.

I've tried clipping the PCB mount cherry stabilizer before and it works, become really smooth after.

But I think Ducky is a plate mount board so it's not so easy to do, that's why I was hoping they'd pre-clip it in the factory so I don't have to do it.  :P

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 22:00:43 »
Actually the first video shows the plate mount cherry stabilizer while the second video shows the PCB mount cherry stabilizer.

I've tried clipping the PCB mount cherry stabilizer before and it works, become really smooth after.

But I think Ducky is a plate mount board so it's not so easy to do, that's why I was hoping they'd pre-clip it in the factory so I don't have to do it.  :P

Someone posted a new ducky board in another thread and it had red stab stems.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 23:52:32 »

Someone posted a new ducky board in another thread and it had red stab stems.

Oh yeah I think I read about that on reddit too, too bad he didn't comment about those stems.

But at least there's hope those might be modified.  :D

Offline ileben

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 01:52:06 »

Not my experience. I have a Deck Hassium Pro at home, it has plate mounted switches/stabs with feet that look flat like in the second video. Clipping those made almost no difference, and the stabilized key felt marginally better than before, but still clunky, heavy, and not smooth at all. *After* clipping, my Deck Hassium Pro feels very similar to some of the Ducky keyboards I tried. Probably most similar to Ducky One.
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 December 2015, 02:02:52 by ileben »
RF 87 55g (silenced) | FC660C (silenced) | Unicomp Ultra Classic | Filco MJ2 Brown | Matias Mini Quiet Pro

Offline Hyde

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 23:03:28 »
Hmmmm maybe I'll avoid it for now then.

Though surprisingly the Cherry stabilizer on Poker 2 and Leopold FC990R felt quite nice.

But if possible I still like Costar stabilizer the best.  :thumb: