Author Topic: Am I missing anything?  (Read 4282 times)

Offline Vozella

Am I missing anything?
« on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 17:42:26 »
I made a part list in PCPartPicker: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wqf37P

Teensy 2.0 ($20.95)
WASD Keyboards Wire Keycap Puller Tool ($6.99)
Cherry MX Stabilizer Spring for 2x+ Keycaps ($5.00)
Cherry MX Stabilizer Spring for Spacebar ($1.50)
100 Diodes ($2.00)
Cherry MX Clear Keyswitch - PCB Mount - Tactile, Bump - 100 Pack ($49.00)
Cherry MX Blue Keyswitch - PCB Mount - Tactile, Click - 100 Pack ($49.00)
GRANITE keycaps
Stainless Steel (Plates) ($209.70)

Other than the soldering tools, is there anything else that it takes to make a keyboard?

Edit: Updated:

Teensy 2.0 ($20.95)
WASD Keyboards Wire Keycap Puller Tool ($6.99)
Cherry MX Stabilizer Spring for 2x+ Keycaps ($5.00)
Cherry MX Stabilizer Spring for Spacebar ($1.50)
100 Diodes ($2.00)
GRANITE
Stainless Steel (Plates) ($209.70)
Cherry MX Plate Mounted Stabilizer Clips (2pcs) ($5.00)
Purple Zealio Switches (Tactile) ($110.00)
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 December 2015, 00:20:28 by Vozella »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Re: Am I missing anything?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 17:46:27 »
You also need the stabilizer clips for the plate. :)

Using clears and blues on the same board?
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Vozella

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 22:58:15 »

I forgot to say I'm going for Ergo Clear switches.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 23:01:06 »

Ah, okay. You can probably buy replacement springs cheaper than full switches, though.

Or, for $1 per switch anyway, you can get purple zealios, and not have to mod the switches. :)
« Last Edit: Sat, 05 December 2015, 23:05:55 by jdcarpe »
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Vozella

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 23:11:07 »

Ah, okay. You can probably buy replacement springs cheaper than full switches, though.

Or, for $1 per switch anyway, you can get purple zealios, and not have to mod the switches. :)

Oh. Okay. I'll look for the springs. Thanks.
I have the test pack of Zealios and they feel heavier than the spring of a blue switch. I was thinking of puting the blue switch's spring in the Purple Zealio, but that would cost a lot more.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 23:18:07 »

I have the test pack of Zealios and they feel heavier than the spring of a blue switch. I was thinking of puting the blue switch's spring in the Purple Zealio, but that would cost a lot more.

A 62g Zealio shouldn't be much heavier than the stock blue switch. However, the slightly heavier spring in the Zealio can prevent the stem on the clear switch from catching in the depressed position.

You'll also need basic soldering equipment, if you don't have it already.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 23:22:05 »
I have a bag of 62g springs that I have no intention on using.  Shoot me a pm and i'll send them out to you on monday.

Offline Vozella

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 23:24:08 »

Where can I get stabilizer clips for the plate? I can't find any at mechanicalkeyboards.com and I don't know where else to look.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 23:27:02 »

Where can I get stabilizer clips for the plate? I can't find any at mechanicalkeyboards.com and I don't know where else to look.
I think they sell them on WASDKeyboards.com.

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/keyboard-parts/cherry-mx-plate-mounted-stabilizer-clips-2pcs.html

in memoriam

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 23:30:48 »

You could also go with cherry stabilizers if you want a hassle free way of changing your keycaps.  I think that costar are much smoother than cherry style, but they are a pain to change keycaps and can be a bit noisy if not lubed.

Ortholinear has them for sale in plate and pcb mount, and for a bit less than going with WASD on costar.  Just something to think about.

Offline Vozella

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 23:32:19 »

A 62g Zealio shouldn't be much heavier than the stock blue switch. However, the slightly heavier spring in the Zealio can prevent the stem on the clear switch from catching in the depressed position.

You'll also need basic soldering equipment, if you don't have it already.

I have a bag of 62g springs that I have no intention on using.  Shoot me a pm and i'll send them out to you on monday.

Wait. How many grams are the Cherry MX blue, brown, and red switches? I'd guess they were 45grams. Right?

Offline Vozella

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 23:33:17 »

I think they sell them on WASDKeyboards.com.

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/keyboard-parts/cherry-mx-plate-mounted-stabilizer-clips-2pcs.html

Oh. So that's what they are. Thanks.

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 23:33:53 »

Wait. How many grams are the Cherry MX blue, brown, and red switches? I'd guess they were 45grams. Right?

62g is the Korean weight that is supposed to be similar to what red/blue/brown switches are.  They are the springs that most people use when going to ergo-clears, instead of taking from new switches.

Offline Vozella

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 23:34:15 »

You could also go with cherry stabilizers if you want a hassle free way of changing your keycaps.  I think that costar are much smoother than cherry style, but they are a pain to change keycaps and can be a bit noisy if not lubed.

Ortholinear has them for sale in plate and pcb mount, and for a bit less than going with WASD on costar.  Just something to think about.

I actually wouldn't mind the hassle and would prefer to have a better feeling.

Offline Vozella

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 23:36:06 »

62g is the Korean weight that is supposed to be similar to what red/blue/brown switches are.  They are the springs that most people use when going to ergo-clears, instead of taking from new switches.

How many grams does an MX Clear have?

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 23:40:18 »

In Cherry or Korean measurements?

The Cherry measurement is around 65g at actuation, IIRC -- compare this number to the 45g you would see in a MX blue.

The equivalent in Korean springs, at bottom out, would be closer to 78g or 80g -- compare this number to the 62g of a purple Zealio, and not to the 45g of the MX blue.

But note that not all springs have the same force curve, so two springs that are 78g at bottom out will not necessarily have the same actuation force.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 23:43:22 »

I actually wouldn't mind the hassle and would prefer to have a better feeling.
If you're going without a PCB, you'll want to be sure and get plate mount stabilizers, of course. If you get Cherry, you'll want to clip them. There is a guide somewhere.

in memoriam

Offline Vozella

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 23:46:07 »

The Cherry measurement is around 65g at actuation, IIRC -- compare this number to the 45g you would see in a MX blue.

The equivalent in Korean springs, at bottom out, would be closer to 78g or 80g -- compare this number to the 62g of a purple Zealio, and not to the 45g of the MX blue.

But note that not all springs have the same force curve, so two springs that are 78g at bottom out will not necessarily have the same actuation force.
Thanks. How can I convert the two measurments? Is 62G in Korean the same as 45G in Cherry?
Also, what measurement is this site using? https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_list&c=47

Offline Vozella

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 23:51:42 »

Thanks. How can I convert the two measurments? Is 62G in Korean the same as 45G in Cherry?
Also, what measurement is this site using? https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_list&c=47

As said in this site: https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1350
"These springs are custom-made and each compression force has its special properties:
The 35g requires an extremely light touch and has a similar response to Topre
The 40g come a hair lighter than Red and Brown switches to better suit faster typists
The 45g is comparable to Red and Brown
The 60g comes close to Black, which gives you a tactile response and a slightly lighter compression force than Clears
The 62g is an immensely popular weight that proves particularly useful for Ergo Clear mods
The 67g comes close to Extra Ergo Clears and is a touch heavier than standard Clears
The 80g features the Green and Grey weight and proves most useful for intentional typists"

I thought Ergo Clears consisted of springs (62G) from Red/Brown switches yet the Red/Brown switch springs are compared to 45G.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 00:11:09 »

As said in this site: https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1350
"These springs are custom-made and each compression force has its special properties:
The 40g come a hair lighter than Red and Brown switches to better suit faster typists
The 60g comes close to Black, which gives you a tactile response and a slightly lighter compression force than Clears
The 62g is an immensely popular weight that proves particularly useful for Ergo Clear mods
The 67g comes close to Extra Ergo Clears and is a touch heavier than standard Clears
The 80g features the Green and Grey weight and proves most useful for intentional typists"

I thought Ergo Clears consisted of springs (62G) from Red/Brown switches yet the Red/Brown switch springs are compared to 45G.

red/brown/blue MX all use essentially the same spring. This spring has an actuation force of around 45g. Most Korean springs that approximate this same spring require a force of 60g to bottom out, and are sold as 60g springs. For ergo clears, you want a slightly stronger spring to prevent the large tactile bump in the MX clear slider from getting stuck on the upstroke, hence the springs with a 62g bottom out force.

I have no idea how MK is measuring their spring weights. That might be a good question to ask them. Based on what is written, it looks like there's a mixture of measurements at bottom out and actuation. As I say, it depends entirely who you get your measurements from, and which physical springs are being measured.

If I was guessing, I would say from the descriptions that all of the MK springs are measured at actuation, except for their 62g and 80g. By a rough conversion, the 62g would be closer to a 46g or 47g spring at actuation, and the 80g would be close to a 65g at actuation (although with different force curves). This would mean that the 62g spring is actually lighter than the 60g spring, and the 80g spring is actually lighter than the 67g spring. (Although I must emphasize that this is guesswork.)

The two different systems make it quite difficult for us as enthusiasts to talk about springs. It's made even more complicated by the fact that Korean springs from different manufacturers will have somewhat different properties, even within the same weight. All the properties of a spring can't really be boiled down to one number, particularly when people use multiple different reference points (actuation force vs. bottom out force).

In the end, if you want ergo clears, you want something slightly heavier than the stock spring in a blue/red/brown. What exactly that gets called depends on who you buy it from.

Offline Vozella

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 00:16:30 »

red/brown/blue MX all use essentially the same spring. This spring has an actuation force of around 45g. Most Korean springs that approximate this same spring require a force of 60g to bottom out, and are sold as 60g springs. For ergo clears, you want a slightly stronger spring to prevent the large tactile bump in the MX clear slider from getting stuck on the upstroke, hence the springs with a 62g bottom out force.

I have no idea how MK is measuring their spring weights. That might be a good question to ask them. Based on what is written, it looks like there's a mixture of measurements at bottom out and actuation. As I say, it depends entirely who you get your measurements from, and which physical springs are being measured.

If I was guessing, I would say from the descriptions that all of the MK springs are measured at actuation, except for their 62g and 80g. By a rough conversion, the 62g would be closer to a 46g or 47g spring at actuation, and the 80g would be close to a 65g at actuation (although with different force curves). This would mean that the 62g spring is actually lighter than the 60g spring, and the 80g spring is actually lighter than the 67g spring. (Although I must emphasize that this is guesswork.)

The two different systems make it quite difficult for us as enthusiasts to talk about springs. It's made even more complicated by the fact that Korean springs from different manufacturers will have somewhat different properties, even within the same weight. All the properties of a spring can't really be boiled down to one number, particularly when people use multiple different reference points (actuation force vs. bottom out force).

In the end, if you want ergo clears, you want something slightly heavier than the stock spring in a blue/red/brown. What exactly that gets called depends on who you buy it from.
Thank you so much. I have decided I'm just going to buy Purple Zealios instead.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 08:50:02 »

Other than the soldering tools, is there anything else that it takes to make a keyboard?

Um... wire to hook up the switches/diodes to the Teensy, a case to mount the plate into and a cable to connect it to the PC.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.