Author Topic: Another member from Australia!  (Read 2554 times)

Offline kekman

• quit life
Another member from Australia!
« on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 23:14:56 »
Hey guys, short time lurker and first time poster now! I'm from Sydney, Down Under, which seems to be a little lacking when it comes to the keyboard community. Hopefully that changes! My current keyboard collection stands of a Topre Realforce 87UB Variable (got it yesterday, my new favourite board :D ), a Ducky DK9008G2 with MX Reds (Has served me long and well, might replace it with a smaller one soon) a Model M (staple in every collection of course :P ) and a G84-4100 (my first foray into small form factor boards). I've been into keyboards for almost 2 years now, as I first heard the term whilst playing osu! and decided to see what the hype was about. On my birthday I got a Razer Blackwidow, and shortly thereafter replaced it with my trusty Ducky. My end-game would probably be something like a tkl 30g Topre board with a white case, beige keycaps and some foreign legends (IMO it adds a lot of character to the bland english lettering we see everyday). Anyway, I'm starting to ramble here so thanks for reading!

Offline PunksDead

• hspernks
  • keyboard poser
Re: Another member from Australia!
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 23:39:53 »
welcome to

Geekhack

stay a while and listen
don't come to my funeral, there wont be one

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 23:44:56 »
Welcome mate! what took you so long to join? >:(
Love your collection, and you've come to the right place to put an end to your wallet :D
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 23:46:59 »
welcome!

are you me? I'm also in sydney and I'm also typing on a RF 87UB Variable right now too..

how do you like the board so far? I see you're considering a 30g topre board, does that mean your current variable board is a bit too heavy? the initial resistance that topre keys have attributes a lot to the force needed to press the keys. some people have performed a dental band silencing mod for their topre boards which reduces the downwards travel of the key, and leaves the topre switch's dome in a slightly collapsed state, making the switch feel lighter. I've done it for my HHKB and I love it, and will soon be doing it to my 87UB.

Offline kekman

• quit life
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 23:53:09 »
Welcome mate! what took you so long to join? >:(
Love your collection, and you've come to the right place to put an end to your wallet :D

To be honest, the initial layout of the site was just entirely unappealing for me so I stuck to reddit for the time-being. Now I've decided to further expand my knowledge of keyboards by joining more communities, Geekhack being one of them :P

welcome!

are you me? I'm also in sydney and I'm also typing on a RF 87UB Variable right now too..

how do you like the board so far? I see you're considering a 30g topre board, does that mean your current variable board is a bit too heavy? the initial resistance that topre keys have attributes a lot to the force needed to press the keys. some people have performed a dental band silencing mod for their topre boards which reduces the downwards travel of the key, and leaves the topre switch's dome in a slightly collapsed state, making the switch feel lighter. I've done it for my HHKB and I love it, and will soon be doing it to my 87UB.

Haha, that's pretty weird. The board is a joy to type on, though I wish it was a tad bit louder for the heavenly thock sound. The board isn't exactly heavy, I just prefer lighter keys. I compared all the keys on the board and the ones that I liked most were the lightest ones. I'm not really interested in performing any silencing mods for now, as the typing feel of the board is really nice, but who knows, maybe the interest will get the better of me. If I do manage to find a Topre board with 30g switches (extremely unlikely, I know) I would snatch it right up and mod my Realforce to 30g all around.

Oh wait, just saw your username. I'm the guy who traded you the Das about two weeks ago LOL

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 23:59:47 »
Oh wait, just saw your username. I'm the guy who traded you the Das about two weeks ago LOL

ha no way!  :D small world

yeah that Das, boy was that in a bad condition lol. looked like a coffee spill. I opened it all up and cleaned it out, but couldn't get the numpad 6 button to work. by disabling that key through software (I know, lazy fix), and slapping an old keyset on there, it was pretty much usable again.

did you like any of the caps you got?

Offline kekman

• quit life
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 00:04:49 »

yeah that Das, boy was that in a bad condition lol. looked like a coffee spill. I opened it all up and cleaned it out, but couldn't get the numpad 6 button to work. by disabling that key through software (I know, lazy fix), and slapping an old keyset on there, it was pretty much usable again.

Oh yeah, the skull is resting on my Esc key on the Ducky right now ;) Don't really have a spot for the raven though, colour schemes don't match (Tai-Hao Miami). I also tried using the Das by disabling Numpad 6, other keys still spammed and ghosted a lot so I just got sick of it and didn't really find any point in going to the length of arranging a sale. I hope the board is doing you good though!

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 00:38:19 »

Oh yeah, the skull is resting on my Esc key on the Ducky right now ;) Don't really have a spot for the raven though, colour schemes don't match (Tai-Hao Miami). I also tried using the Das by disabling Numpad 6, other keys still spammed and ghosted a lot so I just got sick of it and didn't really find any point in going to the length of arranging a sale. I hope the board is doing you good though!

yeah any keypress on the same row as the numpad 6 key started the spamming. very weird issue. I'm actually giving the cleaned up board to my brother for xmas because he's been wanting his first mech for a long time. MX Blues are way too loud for me anyway...

perhaps we'll do more trades in the future. it's much easier to trade in person compared to paying $20 to ship a singular keycap to someone in USA  :'(

Offline kekman

• quit life
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 00:50:09 »

yeah any keypress on the same row as the numpad 6 key started the spamming. very weird issue. I'm actually giving the cleaned up board to my brother for xmas because he's been wanting his first mech for a long time. MX Blues are way too loud for me anyway...

perhaps we'll do more trades in the future. it's much easier to trade in person compared to paying $20 to ship a singular keycap to someone in USA  :'(

Yeah, screw the USA :(

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 13 December 2015, 04:08:00 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

So many in Sydney!

A lot of people use the Spy to track recent posts.  My archaic way of navigating the forum is a bit more laborious, but it works for me, and at least a few other people browse GH that way too.

A good range of keyboards you have :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline kekman

• quit life
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 13 December 2015, 05:37:44 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

So many in Sydney!

A lot of people use the Spy to track recent posts.  My archaic way of navigating the forum is a bit more laborious, but it works for me, and at least a few other people browse GH that way too.

Cheers! I've tried out spy but there's a few too many posts that are irrelevant to my interest so usually I just go through the boards manually. I think I could do a whole lot better in the keyboards section, especially the keysets!

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 21:00:19 »
Cheers, quite a few AUS people here!

Welcome to Geekhack!

So many in Sydney!

People use Spy? I don't...  :))..I much prefer going into every single subforum manually.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 04:01:58 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

So many in Sydney!

Cheers! I've tried out spy but there's a few too many posts that are irrelevant to my interest so usually I just go through the boards manually. I think I could do a whole lot better in the keyboards section, especially the keysets!

I tend to go through manually.  These days I struggle to keep up, and going through section by section is the only way.

Cheers, quite a few AUS people here!

Welcome to Geekhack!

So many in Sydney!

People use Spy? I don't...  :))..I much prefer going into every single subforum manually.

Spy is good if you're having a couple of concurrent conversations, or monitoring a sale thread.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ