Author Topic: Sync folders in Ubuntu 9.10 using Grsync through Samba?  (Read 3890 times)

Offline mp29k

Sync folders in Ubuntu 9.10 using Grsync through Samba?
« on: Thu, 19 November 2009, 18:55:32 »
Hi,
I installed ubuntu on my old PC and intend to use it as a backup location for my digital photos on my main MP machine.  

I have installed Samba, and have a working home network between the 2 machines.  

I would like if possible to have any changes made on my XP machine, automatically be made to the shared folder I created on the Ubuntu machine.  Is this possible using Grsync?  I mounted the network drive, but for some reason, it does not show up when I try to set it as the source drive in Grsync.

I have searched, but all the answers seem to be overly complex for what must be a pretty common need of this software.
"You thought keyboards were expensive. Try putting some rubber domes in your GF." -itlnstln

Offline bigpook

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 19 November 2009, 19:01:43 »
Off the top of my head I don't think rsync will work between a linux box and a windows box. There is a right way to do this. I just don't know what it is. But one thought comes to mind is to have all of the storage on the linux box. Share out the working folder via Samba to the windows machine. Have a second drive/partition/raid whatever to act as the backup.
I don't think rsync will automatically keep the 2 locations in sync. I suppose you could run a cron job every 15 minutes to keep it in sync but that sounds silly.
I am thinking replication would be a better way.

brb
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline bigpook

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 19 November 2009, 19:17:02 »
theres also unison and unison-gtk. My cursory look doesn't show much.
I am lazy though, depending on how in sync you want it to be then I am thinking an rsync script between two local folders every 15 minutes.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline mp29k

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 20 November 2009, 08:05:17 »
Thanks for the replies guys... some of what you said is over my head... I am a n00b still, but I learn quick... back to the net to read more!
"You thought keyboards were expensive. Try putting some rubber domes in your GF." -itlnstln