Author Topic: PBT Keycaps Recommendations  (Read 9633 times)

Offline lithony

PBT Keycaps Recommendations
« on: Sun, 13 December 2015, 12:07:39 »
Hello, I've been using KBC PBT keycaps on my filco blue switch and I was wondering if there are other good PBT keycaps available.

What do you guys think

"the best" PBT keycaps for blue-switch filco keyboard?

In addition, how do SP PBT keycaps feel? Are SP PBT differet from SP DSA PBT or are they same?

P.S Does anyone know actual difference between filco mj2 and kul es-87?
« Last Edit: Sun, 13 December 2015, 12:11:22 by lithony »

Offline phruitpie

Re: PBT Keycaps Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 13 December 2015, 12:35:00 »
There is no "best" haha only you can determine that. But, I can certainly help shed some light on keycaps for ya. To start, what exactly do you mean by SP PBT? :p SP only uses PBT in DSA profile and I believe G20 profile as well (but these are terrible caps from what I've heard). All their other profiles (DCS, SA, etc...) are ABS so I'm not too sure what you mean by SP PBT vs SP DSA PBT. In terms of the PBT sets that SP/PMK produces they are quality keycaps, but don't expect them to be super thick. Their PBT is what I would call a medium thickness, which honestly feels fine.

I'm not too enlightened on the mj2 vs es-87 thing, but it looks to me like the only difference is switch choice. Looks like you can pick up the KUL with clears, but not the mj2 - I could be totally wrong though. Also people tend to say filco is of a higher, more reliable build quality.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 13 December 2015, 12:50:25 »
I like the profile of the keycaps on the Filco. This is the Filco profile, which has become known as the OEM profile. It is taller than other profiles, such as Cherry or Leopold. It is more difficult to find good PBT keycaps in OEM profile than other profiles, but I find that on many keyboards, OEM profile is best in order to avoid bottoming-out noise. Among the best sets I have found are the dye-sublimated PBT in OEM profile made by Ducky. I have their cream & green and blue & gray sets. They work especially well on the Novatouch keyboard.

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 13 December 2015, 12:56:52 »
I think these are cherry, not OEM, but I like these EnjoyPBT caps
omniclectic@gmail.com if you need me!

Offline phruitpie

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 13 December 2015, 13:06:53 »

I own a nearly identical set from the KC60 drop and can definitely say I enjoy these as well. Profile is indeed cherry :)

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 13 December 2015, 13:31:10 »
I have KBC PBT etched keycaps on my Filco TKL as well, and a Ducky Pro with Dye Sub PBT keycaps. Both in sig. I've been using the Filco this way for 4 years now.

The KBC's have a bit more of that grit/chalky feel to them compared to the Ducky caps. It's significant enough that the Ducky's actually feel smooth when you compare both side by side. If you're looking for a bit less of that gritty feel, the Ducky set could be a good alternative. It should be of the same as the kits Hypersphere mentions.

Humorously I actually prefer the sound/feel of pressing the stock Filco ABS caps more than the KBC PBT's... but I prefer the feel on my finger of the KBC and the lack of shine of PBT provides. :D
« Last Edit: Sun, 13 December 2015, 13:32:59 by Vittra »
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline Xonar

• Cathode Ray Tubes
    • DPS
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 02:14:20 »
There is no "best" haha only you can determine that. But, I can certainly help shed some light on keycaps for ya. To start, what exactly do you mean by SP PBT? :p SP only uses PBT in DSA profile and I believe G20 profile as well (but these are terrible caps from what I've heard). All their other profiles (DCS, SA, etc...) are ABS so I'm not too sure what you mean by SP PBT vs SP DSA PBT. In terms of the PBT sets that SP/PMK produces they are quality keycaps, but don't expect them to be super thick. Their PBT is what I would call a medium thickness, which honestly feels fine.

I'm not too enlightened on the mj2 vs es-87 thing, but it looks to me like the only difference is switch choice. Looks like you can pick up the KUL with clears, but not the mj2 - I could be totally wrong though. Also people tend to say filco is of a higher, more reliable build quality.

SP actually does do DCS in PBT (and even some SA from a production test run) but you'd have to go all blanks for that since they don't have any dyesubbed sets in stock.

If you're willing to do some hunting, I would try to grab a set of vintage Triumph Adler typewriter PBT caps for the alphas. I have them on my Dolch, and they're the best PBT caps I've ever typed on. Super thick, nice smooth texture. Haven't tried BSP yet but I imagine this is what they're like. They don't feel terribly different from the OG doubleshot ABS Dolch caps either, which I love the feel of. As for the modifiers, you could get some Gateron PBT blanks or keep the KBC PBT caps you have now for them.

Those EnjoyPBT / KC60 caps are dyesubbed Gaterons, I believe. Also a nice choice.
IBM Model F XT 5291 Bigfoot x2 | Unicomp UN4KPHA JP Spacesaver M | IBM Model M 3270 APL 122-Key | SHARP X68000 | SGI AT-101 | Samsung TH-5539 FAME Blue Alps | IBM Japanese Pingmaster | HHKB Type-S | IBM Model M 1392595, 6/4/1990 | IBM Model M 1391401, 2/2/1988 | Lexmark-branded 1398601 Model M, 8/18/1995 | Unicomp UB40T5A 122-Key, 5/20/2011 | Sun Type 4 | Sun Type 5c | DEC LK-401AA

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 09:10:40 »
As some others have said, there is no such thing like the best-ever-for-everyone key sets, either PBT or any other material. However, there are some factors that contribute to a good feeling of a set, the profile, the wall thickness and the texture. Contoured profiles like Cherry and OEM tend to feel better than flat ones like DSA; the wall thickness is one of the most important aspects to contribute to the final feeling, in general the thicker the better, in order BSP, some OEM sets, DSA, Taihao and similars; finally, the texture, the finer textures tend to feel better, but here anyone is different, BSP has a finer texture than some OEM and DSA.

That said, you should make your homework and try some of them by yourself, BSP has been regarded as one of the best PBT sets, but they are very expensive and scarce, but it rivals OG PBT Cherry sets and they came in dye sub legends that may outlast you.

Offline x9Memoriez

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 17:30:14 »
As far as cheap pbts go that are still decently thick and have a nice texture, you can't go wrong with Vortex Double shots for backlit or NPKC Coloured Blanks for roughly 20-30usd for each set. (Both of them are this price.)

If you're a fan of the cherry profile and don't want to drop 100$ for some dyesub clone, Geekkeys does nice thick PBT sets, although they are mostly blank.

For something pricier but very nice, you can't go wrong with the laser etched (not infilled) or blank Ducky PBT keysets that come standard on their premier line of boards, and are sold separately for about 60-70 USD in some places. (They are usually sold out for some reason.)

Or you could drop 80+ for any SP Custom keyset, with Troubled Minds and Retro coming to my mind for some of the more popular sets. Careful though, these can be an easy 80+ USD for a 104 key keyboard.

Happy Shopping! (Rip wallet)

Matrix 1.2OG | Constellation | Rukia | TMO50 | HHKB

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 19:37:06 »
I highly recommend Leopold keycaps.  They come in several colors, but blank.  The PBT is 1.5mm thick and it gives me a typing experience and sound that I did not know was possible.  I thought my Poker was what PBT is, and it is, but it is a VERY different feel.  They run about 40$ from Korea plus 10$ shipping.  Of course this is all very subjective and the only way to tell if you will like something is to try it for yourself. 
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline DAVYtm

• #dateless
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 24 December 2015, 09:12:59 »
The Vortex PBT caps are great quality. Have heard a lot of good things about Leopold as well.

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 24 December 2015, 09:40:28 »
1. OG Cherry pbt
2. BSP
3. gmk (abs)
...big gap....
4. the rest, I've tried leopold, vortex & enjoypbt (gateron) and they are pretty horrible compared to the rest, but ymmv of course!
Leopold FC900 w/ 67g Purple Zealios - Silver Duck Octagon w/ 62 Purple Zealios

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 24 December 2015, 09:41:25 »
My favorite pbt caps are on the Wang 6131 in tw layout or IBM

Offline mrlooolz

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 07:00:40 »

Chrome doesn't translate so I can't tell what is what :(
Ducky Shine 5 w Mx Browns  | White fox w Zelio's purple 67g | Gateron Blank set

Current Aims: Jack O Lantern is my end game cap. Looking for one.
                                                   --> MrLooolz's Classified. <--

Offline KarstRypke

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 14:22:16 »

They look great! What about the thickness? Is it thick pbt?

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 14:33:21 »

From what Google Translate showed me it's not listed. You could try messaging the seller and see if they reply.

Offline qwack

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 15:14:39 »

They are Gateron keycaps, thick PBT. Shadovved is going to launch a massive GB for these in a few days: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=74163.msg1997149#msg1997149

Pure Pro w/MX Red - [review]

Offline KarstRypke

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 16:59:09 »

They are Gateron keycaps, thick PBT. Shadovved is going to launch a massive GB for these in a few days: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=74163.msg1997149#msg1997149

Thank you for the heads-up, that's great!  :)

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 25 March 2016, 15:30:32 »
I only have  experience with the stock PBT Vortex keycaps and Leopold's aftermarket keycaps.  They definitely feel a little different; perhaps the Vortex ones are slightly harder.  The Leopold's  are  amazing to type on.  These are plain with no lettering at all which I like, but is sometimes  annoying.  But the Leopolds get my recommendation.
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 25 March 2016, 18:18:31 »
I would definitely go for some etched PBT caps. Or maybe some double shot with POM infill  :eek:
Chris Schammert

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 01:57:41 »
Tai Hao are quite reasonable.  Cheap, and not that thick, but consistent legends and nicely textured.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 08:07:27 »
Tai Hao are quite reasonable.  Cheap, and not that thick, but consistent legends and nicely textured.

OP, if you go with Tai Hao, stay away from the ones coated with that anti-microbial stuff. Apparently it feels real nasty. However, it can be scrubbed off.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 05:15:08 »

OP, if you go with Tai Hao, stay away from the ones coated with that anti-microbial stuff. Apparently it feels real nasty. However, it can be scrubbed off.

If you find a set via Massdrop they usually negotiate with Tai Hao to omit the coating, and usually indicate that fairly clearly in the description.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ