Author Topic: WIP updates on BCBRNR caps  (Read 22170 times)

Offline bcredbottle

WIP updates on BCBRNR caps
« on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 07:59:30 »
It was suggested that I split this off from the giveaway thread.

Past Updates
11/28/2015
More
I tried out  a technique that (I believe) Clack used to make his Splat caps. I think it came out nicely. I just waited until some resin was nearing the end of its pot life (and therefore super viscous) and pooped it onto my mold.

11/3/15
More
Learned an important lesson today: If you wait too long to pour your second shot, your first shot will shrink and your second shot will seep between the first shot and the mold wall. 1 It looks like the second shot is creeping up over the first. Kind of a shame b/c it could have been a nice cap :/

1 Actually I'm just a moron and didn't realize I mixed up my mold halves from different molds.

11/1/15
More
I've been experimenting with new materials.

Cake! The embedment creates some QC issues but once I get the kinks worked out I think I'm going to cast more.
More

Soda! Any legit artisan would consider this a dud1 but I like this cap; it looks like you took a cross-section out of a glass of Mountain Dew. These are really easy to make so if any one wants a Soda cap let me know and I'll make more for the next giveaway.
More

1 For those who don't know, bubbles are a resin-caster's nightmare (second only to sticky never-setting miscasts). They result from mixing the resin too quickly, not using pressure, bad mold design, and other screw-ups.

Giveaway thread here
« Last Edit: Mon, 14 December 2015, 08:01:58 by bcredbottle »