Author Topic: Touch pad/track pad. Thoughts?  (Read 1095 times)

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
    • Bishop Computer Design web
Touch pad/track pad. Thoughts?
« on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 10:18:11 »
So I'm thinking about wanting to add a track pad to a future design. Does anyone e have experience with this? Just how bad is it going to suck?

I stripped that laptop down like a dirty pirate hooker.
Projects
Build to give back, 40% | Alps/Matias Removal ToolUltraHack 67% Hackdura  | ErgoDox case

Offline neverused

Re: Touch pad/track pad. Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 10:21:28 »
I was going to do this with a unibody Mac book pro my wife doesn't use anymore but that model integrated the controller into the main pcb so I gave up on breaking it out.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 10:24:32 »
Maybe a track point, too?

¿Por que no los dos?

KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline No_joke

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 13:01:28 »
All depends what protocol the touchpad uses and whether or not you know the pinout.
If it's PS/2 then it's super easy with a little arduino library https://github.com/saces/PS2-Mouse-Arduino/tree/94f6cf38086b82365eaec6dcf588e03aed6363f2
I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be too difficult to port it to C and use it with TMK... Actually, I think TMK already supports PS/2.
« Last Edit: Mon, 14 December 2015, 13:04:07 by No_joke »

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
    • Bishop Computer Design web
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 08:28:18 »
well so far 2 things. the track pad i found is super tiny and the buttons it uses are membrane but that should be somewhat easy to remedy. the other thing to everyone's point i dont know the protocol however it does have a 4 wire output leading me to believe it could be PS2. i know the Teensy supports mouse movement and TMK's does too i think somewhere.

i like the idea but i'm not sold on it just yet. might be a fun thing to tinker with at the very least. i may see if i can find a nice bluetooth one and just make a pocket it drops in. like the apple one or the logitech one however i'd prefer a bluetooth one if i go that route as i dont want to take up unneeded USB ports UNLESS i can add a USB hub to a keyboard design. that would be kinda hot too.... *gears turn*
Projects
Build to give back, 40% | Alps/Matias Removal ToolUltraHack 67% Hackdura  | ErgoDox case